Sights for those of us getting older.

Hammer

Active Fanatic
As all of us have gotten older our vision changes. Now I have trouble seeing my sights the way I used too. As for now still have stock sights, since looking over the top of my glasses worked for a few years. Just wanted to see what others have tried before I start trying different combinations.

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
I have found the Trijicon Tritium HD Night Sights to be helpful. I'm not a competition shooter; more interested in hitting my target during a self-defense or home invasion engagement. And these sights seem to have helped me, especially during night hours.

wrmiller

Fanatic
A second vote for the RMR. Dependable, and watching your target while superimposing a red dot on it is a cinch compared to trying to focus on a front sight. Just my opinion though. :)

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
For defense guns I prefer Heinie straight eights , range guns plain black sights . I'm 64 , wear lineless bi-focal readers . A lot depends on lighting and color of target . JMHO but night sights are an over rated gimmick - sales tool .

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
For the range, I use SSP shooting glasses. They have the bifocals at the top, they are awesome.

As far as 1911 carry sights, I like solid black sights. Glocks get Big Dots

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
A lot depends on your "personal preferences"...............For regular sights I prefer plain black rear with a Tru-Glo TFO front sight. The green fiber optic really pops for my old eyes. I am now experimenting with a Trijicon RMR to see if I might change my preference. As others have said, Target focus is a good thing. It's just learning the proper acquisition of the red dot. But that means practice, practice, practice........a good thing. JMHO
TR

Sneaky One

Well-Known Fanatic
I also have script shooting glasses. I prefer gold bead or white ball for my old eyes.

Flyfishr

New Fanatic
One thing I didn't see mentioned that helps some aging people (I'll be 70 in the summer) is increasing the "daylight" around the front sight, i.e., going with a narrower front sight (e.g., a 0.125" width instead of a 0.140" width). I'm one of those very near-sighted people, and while youth and good glasses helped for years, 'tain't so any more. I agree with what several others have said - - - try a red dot. There are quite a few to choose from; that's both good and bad news. Features differ. Currently, the Trijicon RMR is perhaps the best in terms of durability and battery life. Perhaps the favorite combo is the 3.25MOA dot in the RM06 model. Others like the larger 6.5MOA dot. The Delta Point Pro has a larger window (and footprint) and much shorter battery life (weeks/months as opposed to years on the RMR). Aimpoint is poised to release a new, sealed (waterproof) red dot that has a lot of interest. It has +/- the same footprint as the RMR, but is a "box" so volume-wise is considerably larger. Perhaps the biggest issue is that, as the red dots continue to evolve, and one leaps ahead of the other, is that the differing base mounts result in incompatibility. Unless, of course, you have a mount with interchangeable plates, such as Glock's MOS. So there's not one right answer for everybody, and it's a moving target. But red dots are probably the future standard, and they'll only improve (size, ruggedness, lower cost, etc.). For now, for a carry gun, I'd vote RMR.

banenk

New Fanatic
As all of us have gotten older our vision changes. Now I have trouble seeing my sights the way I used too. As for now still have stock sights, since looking over the top of my glasses worked for a few years. Just wanted to see what others have tried before I start trying different combinations.
I have the same problem. Friends of mine bought a suction cup adjustable diopter that sticks to their glasses for around $65 but always have problems with them falling off especially in the winter. I got a mailing label sticker and colored it black. Then I used a 1/16" paper punch for the center hole and then a 5/16" punch for the sticker itself. This I stuck on the inside of my shooting glasses. It acts like a pin hole camera and brings my sights into focus. Cheap and works great.

Fred Allen

New Fanatic
I have an optometrist that is a shooter also and he fits me with trifocals that work pretty well. But I also use sights with bright green or chartruese for tired old eyes tho pick up easily.

JimC

New Fanatic
I'm 72 participate in idpa. Can't see front sight, red dots not allowed. Suggest "occupational lenses" bifocal at bottom reg prescription middle, front sight prescription at top. Workers working above their heads arms length use this. Eg electrician, mechanics. Ask your optition first before pulling out firearm. For edc I use rmr 6 IWB.

Roger Watkins

Fanatic
My carry is a Dan Wesson ECO .45 with a Crimson Trace green grip laser. I shoot both eyes open. Combination of the Dan Wesson accuracy, it's trigger pull and the laser = very close groupings at 20'. Wouldn't have anything else

lawman011

New Fanatic
A lot depends on your "personal preferences"...............For regular sights I prefer plain black rear with a Tru-Glo TFO front sight. The green fiber optic really pops for my old eyes. I am now experimenting with a Trijicon RMR to see if I might change my preference. As others have said, Target focus is a good thing. It's just learning the proper acquisition of the red dot. But that means practice, practice, practice........a good thing. JMHO
TR
I too have better luck with the tru glo front with the black rear. much quicker target acquisition with these older eyes...

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I prefer my gold beads for my front sight with just my regular prescription for most all of my action type shooting as I prefer to train with the glasses that I'll have on if needed for self defense. Also shoot with both eyes open. If shooting bullseye then I have a special pair of glasses with the right lens focused at my front sight distance and the left with my normal prescription and progressives. If shooting bullseye with a red dot, then of course just my normal glasses.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Fanatic
Big dots on mine plus crimson trace. 72 years and can shoot almost as good as I used to.

Old Bill

Active Fanatic
Sights are only part of the issue. If your wearing glasses... Have your eye doc put a lens at the top of your glasses which brings the front sight post of your 1911 into perfect focus when you have the weapon in your ideal shooting position/as you like it.. Easy Peasy .