Sights for those of us getting older.

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
I didn't know I had a problem until one day while practicing w/ my non-dominant hand, I tried to focus on the front sight, but I couldn't see the damn thing! I am starting to make use of more red dot sights now. If I focus on the front sight while looking over the top of my glasses I can see the front sight perfectly, but then I have no idea what or where the target is.

I've also started shooting rifles. With my S&W AR10 I can do sub MOA at 100 yards. Not too bad for a 1911 old fart who can't see the front sight ;)

Finally, I'm going for new glasses next week...

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Had cataract surgery both eyes a few years ago. Need 'cheaters' to read. While out and about with friends and family, I'm not usually wearing those 'cheaters'. So, I'm gonna try the XS Big Dot sights. Should have the gun they're being installed on back in a couple weeks. That gun is having some other stuff done as well. Will post a review when I get a few hunnert rounds downrange with it.

Sk8r

Active Fanatic
For handgun, the Amerigo or Trijicon front night sight with the tritium vial set in a dot of neon orange paint attracts the eye easily and without strain; my favorite rear to pair with that is a Heinie-type "straight eight" night sight where there is only one tritium vial in the rear sight and it is under the notch. Prefer front and rear to both be steel for durability, and rear with forward-facing ledge for one handed charging of the slide—on a table edge for example—should the tactical need arise.

Red dot RMR etc are great for rifle so I imagine they would be great for range handgun, but to me they seem impractically bulky for EDC CCW.

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic

This is the way I'm starting to lean.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had three surgeries each on both eyes in three years. Cataracts, then secondary cataracts, then torn and/or detached retinas.

For "tactical" style matches, I shoot Dawson/Wilson/Novak green fiber front sights depending on which blaster it is. All my rear sights are blacked out and mostly U-notch 140 width.

For defense, I carry a plastic gun in my front pocket with an Ameriglo orange surround around a tritium vial front site, and blacked out 140 width U-notch rear.

wrmiller

Fanatic
I carry this as well as a 2011 (currently in parts, being worked on) that have RMRs on them.

I started shooting RDSs in USPSA open class when they first came out (remember those 40mm soda cans we put on top of our race guns?) and have been comfortable with them for a long time.

Now I'm turning 64 this month and my eyes are starting to go a bit, so I can't see (pun intended) myself ever going back to irons. :D

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I prefer a domed gold bead front sight, and a black 'U' notched rear sight. This combo works well for me, even in low light situations.

Latest posts