Shotgun sights and optics

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm debating whether I should pay someone to put ghost ring sights on my shotgun, or just put a red dot on it myself.

I have a tactical Mossy 500 (#50575) with a bead sight, and I love ghost ring sights (I had a Benelli with ghost rings, but had to get rid of it to buy a handgun for work), but I'm also considering buying a red dot optic for the gun (which would require me getting a rail for it the top). Unfortunately, the gun that I bought will not accept other barrels because of it's design (the barrel attaches to the end of the extended magazine), so I couldn't just go out and buy another barrel with the ghost ring sights.

I'm leaning more towards the red dot optic because the bead sight would be just fine as a back up optic, but having ghost rings would almost negate the need for the red dot....

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll chime in on this one as someone with firsthand experience with your situation. I have a Mossy 500 tactical that came with the ghost ring rear and nice front ramp sight with a neon red insert. As far as iron sights go, the ghost ring is superior to a front bead only, as most shotguns are apt come. However, I found that quick target acquisition with the ghost ring left much to be desired. Deer hunting with a buck standing still fifty yards or so in front of you and the ghost ring is fine. Using the 12 ga in a defensive tactical situation where you have to identify targets (perhaps multiples) and quickly line the iron sights up took too long and did not instill a great deal of confidence, at least with me. So....I looked and looked and looked for solutions, then finally paid a gunsmith to install a Picatinny rail on the top of the receiver (your Mossy should already be pre-tapped), then installed the EOtech 512 I had on it. That my friend was THE solution! Any red dot would do nicely, but the EOtech has a wider field of view than most. My .02 cents worth. Good luck.

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks! I found that EOTech for less than $375 on Amazon, but darn, it's pricey! The Burris Fastfire seems like a good one too.

I'm definitely getting the red dot, but I wonder if I should even consider the ghost ring addition.

94formulabird

Well-Known Fanatic
Bushnell trs 25....buddy has one on his 870...around $100 and it's a 3 MOA dot...nutnfancy did a review on it I believe...pretty good for the price ...im considering one for my mini 14 in its Sparta stock

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
I just had an AO big dot tritium front-sight put on my 870 and I'm pretty happy with it. If your going to go with a red dot, and just have the bead as a back-up, why not make the bead as big and useful as possible?

870fs.jpg

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a couple things done to the gun at once, so Dale at East Coast installed it, but I believe it just epoxies on.

Latest posts