ShootzenFest casting session today, gotta get ready.........

SuperChuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Re: ShootzenFest casting session today, gotta get ready.....

Clicker,

The secret to the pictures is take a WHOLE bunch and then pick out the best.... LOL

Usually 3 of each "pose" playing with flash/no flash, macro, or not macro... shiny stuff always plays tricks on the autofocus settings.

They recommend "breaking in" the mold, taking it to 350-400 deg F and cycling back to room Temp about 3 times.. So I'll accomplish that over the weekend or the next week - probably one cycle a night.

I don't have any mold handles yet, but if yours fit, once I get it broken in, we might just have to fire up that pot and test out a batch.

I have approximately 250 x 240 gr. 44 cal (0.430") SWC bullets that can be sacrificed, or exchanged for some of your private stock. :)

SC

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic

I hear ya about the photo's brother. I have some Lee 6 cavity mold handles if they fit we're GTG. I also have a set of Ballisticast handles.

I have the lead covered so we ain't wasting any bullets. Matter of fact another 40 pounds of wheels weights followed me home yesterday.

The wife came me the all clear for hunting & shooting the entire weekend since her sister is in town!

SuperChuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Upstate ShootzenFest casting session?

Is there another casting or reloading sessions prior to Shootzenfest?

I've got some party favors I can contribute to the cause :)

SC

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic

I'm working on reloading more 9mm. Have not done any casting but need to drop some 45acp projectiles if I have a chance.

Gimme a call and we can probably melt some lead if you want. Save your stash for now I have plenty of alloy ready to go.

SuperChuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Clicker,

Weekend kept me busy, and first of week is doing the same.. If you do any last minute preparations one evening, let me know.

I'll have another 80 headstamped subs.. I have some of the lighter CMMG subs on te way to test as well. They are likely on 223 conversion brass..

I've seen where a couple of people are beginning to get really good results out of the cast bullet, so thats going to have to be tested out one day.. the 4-letter W(ork)-word has been keeping me too busy..

I'm dying to hear the 300 subs out of the bolt action with your Bowers.. :)

have seen a couple of vids where it was simply scary.. or well-edited...LOL

SC

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
Nothing to add to the thread except to say whenever I see ShootzenFest Casting session I keep wondering what show tunes we'll be singing... :twisted:

SuperChuck

Well-Known Fanatic
ShootzenFest casting session II - May 2012

Clicker, or any of the other 300 Whisper/300 blackout owners:

I own one of the NOE 247 Grain cast bullet molds for the 300 blackout round. Unfortunately, I have yet to complete my setup and begin casting or reloading anything myself.

I'd be glad to lend it/loan it to any operating casters to allow them to stock up for the May 2012 trip to the range.

Anyone wanting to pool time and/or resources to churn out a respectable batch of cheaper 300 Blackout fodder, I'm willing to contribute to the cause.

Regards,

SC

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Chuck I have plenty of lead but no sizer die in .309" or whatever folks are sizing these. Also I think gas checks would be a good idea but not sure about shooting through a can with them.

I have plenty of formed cases & powder as well so let me know when you want to try to drop a few of these!

SuperChuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I think I got the sizer already......lemme doublecheck.. the simple Lee Sizer I'm pretty sure.

Most of the feedback for the low velocities for the 247 boolits was plenty fine without gas checks, and disassemble-able cans.., especially if it was a harder compound/more wheelweights.

The gas checks were mostly designed for supersonic/larger volume cases.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
I thought that might be the case. I have some Lee liquid Alox or we could pan lube with some really soft beeswax & Vasoline lube I have used on some 50/70 bullets.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Holy thread resurrection Batman!
Just thought the mention of ShootzenFest would excite & encourage some folks. Anyway I cast up appx 1260 9mm bullets today, nice and cool so it seemed like the ideal thing to do.
I need to cast some 45 cal 230 RN slugs too. I've also been prepping some 556 brass.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
OK I've got some 45 cal bullets cast, sized & Alox lube applied. Went to size & lube the 9's and my Lyman heater is toast, dead short to ground. Borrowed my buddies heater and ran all 1260 thru the Star in an hour and a half.
Now it's Dillon time!

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
I ain't heard a peep.
If nothing happens here JT & I are talking about heading up to the ARFCOM shoot the end of May.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
I talked to Frost about 30 minutes ago and told him y'all were asking what's going on. He should be talking to Pops in a couple of days, hopefully you will be hearing some info shortly after.

Been trying to light a fire under them for y'all, I wish I had more to say- don't want to leave you hanging. ;)

Respectfully yours,
Midnight Raver

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Just in the raw, straight out of the mold. I think I'll continue to powder coat my pistol bullets but I'm going to try coating some 300 Blackout bullets with the Hi-Tek stuff.

BTW I finally tried out my new Lyman 9mm 147 grain mold and it worked out nicely. Loaded up some quiet subsonic stuff with Vihta Vuori N320.

Latest posts