Shaving coated lead 9mm bullets

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
Austin T said:
No, you can see the shavings on the case rim after the bullet seating step. Crimp is unrelated.
Post some photos of them, I can't see anything.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Here we go. I tried 3 times and this was the only bullet sufficiently jacked up to show up in a terrible iPhone picture. Weird how it works when you don't want it to.

j2PQ753.jpg

Sort of hard to see but I drew a box around it. A lighter arc where you can tell the coating is scraped, with the lead peeking through in two spots. Other bullets I've pulled are variations on this theme.

I should note that this is only after seating, no crimp.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
I bet it is the bullet not straight and tilting enough in the case mouth to kiss that side because of the lube groove.

Kind of like the bullet on the left side of this photo, just not as bad.

IMG_20150315_153506_142-1-1_zpsnrnhz6op.jpg

Take the seat out of the die and take a photo of how the bullet aligns with it. Maybe a modification is in order for it to work correctly with the rather SWC shaped bullets your using.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
JMorris said:
Take the seat out of the die and take a photo of how the bullet aligns with it. Maybe a modification is in order for it to work correctly with the rather SWC shaped bullets your using.
I'm already using the flat end of the seating plug. Maybe I could use epoxy or something to mold it to the bullet?

I've also read claims that the Mr Bullet Feeder poweder funnel helps the bullet sit straighter in the case.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm already using the flat end of the seating plug. Maybe I could use epoxy or something to mold it to the bullet?
Depends, that is why I asked for a photo of the relationship between the two.

Note the two "flat" seating stems on the left of the photo I posted, they work for different flat tipped bullets. If your seater allows the bullet tip to go side to side then epoxy might help if you can get it to cure centered or machine it after it is cured, at that point I would just machine the seater correctly into what's there.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Just ordered some of the blue bullet 147 RNs sans lube groove. Hopefully this'll do it. I'm using bayou 147 FPs with lube groove right now.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Good news. Got a sample pack of 147 RN Blues without the lube groove and a quick test shows 6/6 going plunk with no shavings. Same die settings with lube grooved Bayous resulted in 3/3 with shavings and a much mushier gauge. Thanks!

11103751-7705-420B-B09A-9B833EF602FE_zps4bxrjypp.jpg

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow, what is the OAL variation on those blue bullet rounds? Looks like a lot.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Heh, I was excited about trying the bullets out and left the die where it was for the FPs. Ignore that little guy in the middle. Those are all dummies.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
well when I've shot through the few boxes of the lube-groove flat points I have, I'll have to get some of the non-grooved variety.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Austin T said:
Heh, I was excited about trying the bullets out and left the die where it was for the FPs. Ignore that little guy in the middle. Those are all dummies.
What press are you loading on? I just ordered a Lyman M die to put in station 3 on my 650. I wasn't having shaving problems as long as I have the bell just right, I ordered this just in the hope that I don't have to be so anal about setting the bullet perfect every time and it speeds up my loading. I'll post up some results in a few days.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I'm on a 550. You can buy the DAA bulletfeeder powder funnel which does the same thing as an M die but doesn't take up an extra station. I've got one on the way, even though it looks like it's not going to be necessary.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
lol @ Jared.

Dennis I had a LNL, I tried to make it work. I've made $3 million CNC mills and lathes work for years. I couldn't make that LNL work.

dennishoddy

Mine has worked flawlessly for many years now. Never had any issues.

All of my rejects over two years sit on the side of the bench. Might be a dozen. Most are because of the primer slide got hung up and didn't put a primer in. Didn't notice the primer tube was empty.
I have a witness rod in there now.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a few issues with the LNL's I had but it didn't take much to solve them. Would pick one over a Loadmaster 8 days a week and even they can be made to run.

FWIW the Dillon low primer alarm and rod work on the LNL.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Austin T said:
I'm on a 550. You can buy the DAA bulletfeeder powder funnel which does the same thing as an M die but doesn't take up an extra station. I've got one on the way, even though it looks like it's not going to be necessary.
I had heard that the DAA powder funnel would solve this problem but I was hoping there was a solution that didn't require me to spend more money.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
The Lyman M die only runs $21.99 from midway. And it works fabulously...
View attachment 11097

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456618733.188935.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456618733.188935.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts