Shaving coated lead 9mm bullets

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I keep shaving little slivers of coating off of coated bullets; it did the same thing back when I loaded lead bullets. I've tried belling the case mouth all different amounts, including so wide that the belled case looks like a trumpet, and it still does it. I've also tried both ends of the die's seating stem. I'm using all Dillon dies.

Wat do?

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
What bullets are you using? I had this issue when I was using the lee dies that seat and crimp. I haven't had it with my Dillion dies. I don't know if it's right but I took a sized piece of then ran the bullet seating die down till it just slightly touched it. Locked the die down then backed the adjustment out and set a bullet to the length I wanted then locked that down as well. Take that FWIW I didn't read instructions I just set it up and it worked so I left it alone. I'm shooting coated round nose 124 grain

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
dr poopgiggle said:
isn't that for seating dies that also crimp?
Beats me. Reloading sucks.

I have done this adjustment a few times for different brands/profiles of lead or coated lead, and it seems like it becomes necessary when there are slight differences in diameter as well. Thicker coatings.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Mitch Gibson said:
Beats me. Reloading sucks.

I have done this adjustment a few times for different brands/profiles of lead or coated lead, and it seems like it becomes necessary when there are slight differences in diameter as well. Thicker coatings.
Which dies? AFAIK the only adjustment you can do to the seating stem on Dillon seating dies is switching between the two ends.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
dr poopgiggle said:
Which dies? AFAIK the only adjustment you can do to the seating stem on Dillon seating dies is switching between the two ends.
those are the new Dillion dies I forgot. I have the old kind for 9mm

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
You may be belling too much. If you bell too much the seating die will squeeze down the case on the bullet as soon as it starts in the die due to the bell being a bigger diameter than the I.D. of the die. It doesn't "shave it" per se' but it will cause you problems. You have to be careful to set the bullet straight with any non-jacketed bullet. Cyrwus is right, jacketed is pretty much fool proof in this regard.

For some reason I can't really explain, I've had more problems with plated bullets than coated or plain lead.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott Hearn said:
You may be belling too much. If you bell too much the seating die will squeeze down the case on the bullet as soon as it starts in the die due to the bell being a bigger diameter than the I.D. of the die. It doesn't "shave it" per se' but it will cause you problems.
I think I'm doing this. That would explain why I sometimes have little bits of brass, about the diameter of a hair, coming off the case, wouldn't it? I assumed a bigger flare was better with coated and went a bit crazy.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
If I am using one of my GSI bullet feeders, that hold the bullets vertical while they are being seated, I can get away with almost zero bell.

IMG_20131009_114251_812_zps9121a3df.jpg

Pull a bullet and post a photo of the area shaved, that will give ideas for solution.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Please someone figure this out. This is driving me nuts too. I'm using a lee U-Die, have considered going back to Dillon to reduce how much the case squeezes the bullet. I'm also using a Redding competition seater and that hasn't fixed it.

dennishoddy

Is the OP using roll crimp dies vs taper crimp models?
Don't know about Dillon dies, but some die mfg's sell different versions.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
The crimp shouldn't have any effect unless it is way too much or the bullet is being crimped as it is being seated vs after being seated.

dennishoddy

JMorris said:
The crimp shouldn't have any effect unless it is way too much or the bullet is being crimped as it is being seated vs after being seated.
Exactly my point. It appears the case is being crimped while the bullet is being seated.
Wax buildup inside the crimping die?

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Austin T said:
No, you can see the shavings on the case rim after the bullet seating step. Crimp is unrelated.
I have the same thing. Funny thing is, it's always only on one side.

I've pulled bullets before, and even if you don't see any shavings outside the case rim, there's still a bit scraped off a little above the lube groove. I'd post a picture but the Iowa Caucuses are on, will do tomorrow.

Latest posts