SDA permit & background checks

harper

Fanatic
Hello,
I've heard in some states having a valid SDA permit counts as a background check when purchasing from a FFL dealer. They take your number and off you go.
Is this true in OK? Last month I bought from a dealer and was delayed 3 days. Wonderin' if when my SDA permit comes in (35 days and counting) it'll be easier to buy.
Thanks.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I've never heard of anyone using the carry permit to do anything in regards to buying a firearm.

Jack T.

Active Fanatic
Yes, some states do have this (Colorado for sure, others I'm less sure about). . .not sure how it works, but it'd be nice if we could do it as well.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Matt Rigsby said:
I haven't heard of Oklahoma residents being able to do it, but I might try it with my next purchase.
it was like that at the beginning of the SDA but no longer.
An SDA or CCL is a state issued license based on state requirements & a background check performed by the state.

a 4473 & NICS check is a federal requirement with a federal background check.

dennishoddy

Wall said:
it was like that at the beginning of the SDA but no longer.
An SDA or CCL is a state issued license based on state requirements & a background check performed by the state.

a 4473 & NICS check is a federal requirement with a federal background check.
Yeah, I was with a guy at a pawn shop years ago. The owner took his CCL, made a copy, and handed him the pistol.
There was something that triggered the change. I just can't remember what it was.

harper

Fanatic
sent the OSBI an email yesterday and they got back surprisingly quick. here's what they had to say:

"The background checks that are conducted when you purchase your weapon is conducted through NICS. So to answer your first question, having a valid CCW license bares not weight when purchasing a weapon. NICS would be able to answer your questions as to why your background check was delayed or any other questions you have that are related to the purchase of a weapon. The phone number for NICS is 1-877-444-6427."

so that answers that.

anybody else been delayed when purchasing from a FFL and not know why? I wonder if it was because I had submitted my application for CCW a week or two before my purchase and the system flagged a recent background check...

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
harper said:
I wonder if it was because I had submitted my application for CCW a week or two before my purchase and the system flagged a recent background check...
No, they are 2 different checks. One is conducted by OSBI, the other is through NICS.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I get delayed every once in a while and the only reason I've heard in my case is because my name is similar to another.

threegungeezer

Well-Known Fanatic
In Texas if you have a CHL(concealed handgun license) it covers the background check for purchase from an FFL

Latest posts