SBR. Multiple uppers?

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
I am sure that this has been discussed before, but if I have an SBR lower registered as 556 10½". Can I put a different upper on it and still be legal? Like an 8½" 300blk?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Good question. I think the answer is yes but I'm no expert. Wall knows this stuff. He'll be by soon.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Also at any time if you no longer want the 10.5 556, you can send a letter to atf with a permanent change ie an 8.5 300 BO.

Also, technically, if you ever don't own a short upper you are supposed to contact atf and remove that lower from the sbr list. If you want to reSBR the lower you have to pay the 200 again and reapply. Who on earth would do that?

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Brandon Deem said:
Also at any time if you no longer want the 10.5 556, you can send a letter to atf with a permanent change ie an 8.5 300 BO.

Also, technically, if you ever don't own a short upper you are supposed to contact atf and remove that lower from the sbr list. If you want to reSBR the lower you have to pay the 200 again and reapply. Who on earth would do that?
A Hillary supporter?

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
Could there be an issue on "intent to build" if you have an extra SBR if he has an extra lower laying around?

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
gmar said:
Could there be an issue on "intent to build" if you have an extra SBR if he has an extra lower laying around?
I have heard people say yes. I have my extra short uppers sitting on pistol lowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Are you talking about having an extra SBR upper or a complete SBR?
If it's just an upper that you don't have attached to an SBR or pistol lower, but you also have other completed lowers with buttstock attached, then yes it's intent.
If the lowers are stripped, or equipped with pistol buffer tubes, then no.

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
Are you talking about having an extra SBR upper or a complete SBR?
If it's just an upper that you don't have attached to an SBR or pistol lower, but you also have other completed lowers with buttstock attached, then yes it's intent.
If the lowers are stripped, or equipped with pistol buffer tubes, then no.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant that if someone has a complete SBR plus another SBR upper along with either a stripped lower or extra lower with a rifle stock and no attached rifle upper.

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Washburn said:
I have heard people say yes. I have my extra short uppers sitting on pistol lowers.
I do too...just to be safe.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
gmar said:
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant that if someone has a complete SBR plus another SBR upper along with either a stripped lower or extra lower with a rifle stock and no attached rifle upper.
If the buttstock is on it, it's intent.

It's also incredibly stupid, just like suppressors being NFA

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
It's pretty easy to not make a mistake. Just don't have any non-registered rifle lowers without a rifle length upper to go with it while in possession of excess short barreled uppers. Or put simply, if you want to be NFA, you can't also be that guy that has a ton of lowers on standby for when the **** hits the fan.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
How would the ATF or anyone ever know if you had a lower without an upper and an extra short barreled upper sitting in your safe???

Instagram pics???

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
They caught a guy making suppressor sand selling them in KS because someone he sold it too posted a YouTube video about how he bought one without a stamp.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Matt Washburn said:
They caught a guy making suppressor sand selling them in KS because someone he sold it too posted a YouTube video about how he bought one without a stamp.
Yeah I heard about that. Just like the idiots on you tube recording themselves shouldering a sig brace.

Latest posts