Reloading Supplies

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Gentlemen, I mentioned earlier on this forum that I'm planning to get into reloading. Today is my birthday, and MidwayUSA sent me an offer for "birthday pricing" on a single purchase. With the discount, the pricing on reloading kits is attractive. I think I'm going to order one of them. I've read up on it and it seems simple enough. I have a Machining/Engineering background, so this work will fit well with my existing skill set. I'm looking forward to it!

Are you guys seeing an improvement in component availability?

I will be asking some of you seasoned reloaders for advice and suggestions from time to time. Probably often in the beginning.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
You already have the most important tool that Reloading requires. A good & inquiring mind!
I started as a Mechanic in 74 with tools of my own none of these tools, do I still own.

Craftsman tools, lifetime tools that serve the homeowner not the master Mechanic.

After a lifetime of feeding your family with your skills, the tools you own today are a
look back at your journey with tools. My first experience with the Snap-On tool truck
came after the Tool guy at sears told me to not come back with anymore broken
Craftsman tools! No kidding I was breaking the thin walled 12 point cheepy
Craftsman tools. Great for the weekend mechanic not the Wrencher who
worked every day 8 to 10 hours a day.

I do not own a progressive press the rounds I would load, I just buy by the case.
I have 2 Rock chuckers & many quality dies like Forester Bonanza & RCBS Match dies.

For instance you must trim your cases. Any trimmer with a pilot will move ( Wiggle ) your case
& never cut true. A Wilson trimmer from Sinclair will true your cases super fine!
Wilson is not cheap & aimed at the Professional reloader but you will out grow the Lees &
cheaper tools I know because I bought the Lee tools & they are the bottom of the barrel

A Forester Bonanza Co Ax press is in IMHO the best Single stage press bar none & their dies
float to fit your, Rifle Brass, not be bent to fit like the locked dies will.

Most of my hand tools I own today are Snap-On for one reason. They are the tools for the Master Mechanics
because they allow you do do a professional job. That's super important to me, a professional job is a must!

I recon what I am saying is most of us who started loading back in the day, had to learn just what & who had
the best tools that loaded great ammo. My first loader I bought with my Colt Trooper MKIII it was a real LEE hand loader
Yes you used it with a HAMMER!! :eek: Yep it exploded a primer & sent the rod into my Wife's Kitchen ceiling ;).

I got no ? & no supper that night for sure. Next day she said :D. Go ahead get that damn Rock crusher you
want just don't explode anymore stuff. Funny she said that I just got back from blowing stuff up in service & now I'm a civi
still blowing stuff up LOL .

You have a lot of wisdom here, so go slow buy once & load great Ammo right from the start ...

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
You already have the most important tool that Reloading requires. A good & inquiring mind!
I started as a Mechanic in 74 with tools of my own none of these tools, do I still own.

Craftsman tools, lifetime tools that serve the homeowner not the master Mechanic.

After a lifetime of feeding your family with your skills, the tools you own today are a
look back at your journey with tools. My first experience with the Snap-On tool truck
came after the Tool guy at sears told me to not come back with anymore broken
Craftsman tools! No kidding I was breaking the thin walled 12 point cheepy
Craftsman tools. Great for the weekend mechanic not the Wrencher who
worked every day 8 to 10 hours a day.

I do not own a progressive press the rounds I would load, I just buy by the case.
I have 2 Rock chuckers & many quality dies like Forester Bonanza & RCBS Match dies.

For instance you must trim your cases. Any trimmer with a pilot will move ( Wiggle ) your case
& never cut true. A Wilson trimmer from Sinclair will true your cases super fine!
Wilson is not cheap & aimed at the Professional reloader but you will out grow the Lees &
cheaper tools I know because I bought the Lee tools & they are the bottom of the barrel

A Forester Bonanza Co Ax press is in IMHO the best Single stage press bar none & their dies
float to fit your, Rifle, not be bent to fit like the locked dies will.

Most of my hand tools I own today are Snap-On for one reason. They are the tools for the Master Mechanics
because they allow you do do a professional job. That's super important to me, a professional job is a must!

I recon what I am saying is most of us who started loading back in the day, had to learn just what & who had
the best tools that loaded great ammo. My first loader I bought with my Colt Trooper MKIII it was a real LEE hand loader
Yes you used it with a HAMMER!! :eek: Yep it exploded a primer & sent the rod into my Wife's Kitchen ceiling ;).

I got no ? & no supper that night for sure. Next day she said :D. Go ahead get that damn Rock crusher you
want just don't explode anymore stuff. Funny she said that I just got back from blowing stuff up in service & now I'm a civi
still blowing stuff up LOL .

You have a lot of wisdom here, so go slow buy once & load great Ammo right from the start ...
Thank-you sir. I'm sure I will be consulting with you. You have been doing this a long time and you have learned lessons that I will just be encountering.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I wrote Hodgen powder an e-mail about their Trail Boss powder got a reply toot sweet however.
However when I wrote back about the Gun powder shortages I got Crickets. SOOOOO be careful
it seems shortages are being used for price goughing.

This is not a good time to start reloading IMHO.
I first got into loading to save money. Today it seems you are better off buying quanity if you can find it.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I wrote Hodgen powder an e-mail about their Trail Boss powder got a reply toot sweet however.
However when I wrote back about the Gun powder shortages I got Crickets. SOOOOO be careful
it seems shortages are being used for price goughing.

This is not a good time to start reloading IMHO.
I first got into loading to save money. Today it seems you are better off buying quanity if you can find it.
Funny you send this message to me. I was just reaching the same conclusion. In my search for supplies, I have found very little and NO reasonable prices. I'll wait and see what happens. There's no rush. I'm well stocked. I mainly just want the capability...and of course, it would be fun!

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Funny you send this message to me. I was just reaching the same conclusion. In my search for supplies, I have found very little and NO reasonable prices. I'll wait and see what happens. There's no rush. I'm well stocked. I mainly just want the capability...and of course, it would be fun!
Around here we seem to have everything but primers . Consensus from LGS's is that they're being used to catch on retail ammo production .
I found reloading to be not just cost saving , but very satisfying . It gives me something to do on rainy days , hot days , etc. I've been at it about 40 years , accumulated good equipment , got a good system down , learned a lot . You can tailor loads to fit your requirement . Such as make target loads , hunting loads , even defense loads if you're so inclined . Make lighter loads for 44 mag. or varmint loads for 3006 . Make your guns more versatile .

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

I wanted to believe the Mfgs. of reloading components would some how honor those of us who used their
Primers, Powder, Bullets, cases + all those tools we buy to roll our own rounds.

How can Primers a tiny cheap to make part still be absent. :rolleyes: The answer is in. Who makes the components we need to load our own?
All the Ammunition manufactures make the parts we need! Does it begin to form a picture anyone can clearly see.

From an automotive viewpoint. Why in hell make parts to allow you to repair my starters & Alternators ? When I can sell you
new units?? Makes sense to control the market o_O if you can.

When I started loading there were Speers, all the powder companies, case makers all looking for people like me to buy their
products & roll our own cheap accurate, reliable Ammunition. We did that very well until we came to compete with the
mega giants who bought out the independent manufactures of Components we needed.

The only way this will end ?? Do not reward them, do not buy their products. That will never happen so they just rule a
market we once shared with them. No easy answers when companies just go bad & want complete control, a Commie
view point in MHO.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Reloading....handloading......so much fun can be had. Gratifying seeing the accuracy results, too.

15 yrs back I got into handloading for my bolt action hunting rifles. At the time I had gravitated from shooting just the normal .270Win, .308Win & 7mmRemMag onto shooting 7mmSTW, 7RUM, 300WSM and others.

Ammo for the RUM & STW rounds was not only scarce....but pricey. Even then it was hard to find it available with the specific bullets I wanted.

I bought an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit from Midway and mounted it to a mobile bench (rolling toolbox) and jumped into the fun.

It didn't take long to work up some loads that were 1/2 MOA or better in my guns.

What did take a long time...were the sessions where I wanted to load some .44RemMag or .357mag for my revolvers. Those loading sessions on that gear seemed to take hours to only produce small batches. Single stage....die adjustments needed in between steps....slow measuring of powder charges, etc.

Fatherhood, family life, work schedule all conspired to place great demands on my free time & hunting took a distant backseat. The closet space the rolling bench took up was needed for other stuff and a buddy made me a solid offer on all my gear.

5 years ago I began to slow down on overtime. Some injuries and surgeries ruled out golf and some of the other stuff.....gravitated back towards shooting again...but mainly handguns.

While 9mm was fairly cheap and easy to find.....45acp & 10mm wasn't so much.....and .44mag became insanely expensive. This was well prior to covid, ANTIFA-BLM activity, riots and market demand skyrocketing.

I made the decision to get back into reloading two+ years back.....predominately for handguns. I ordered an XL750 for the purpose...then decided a 550C would be nice to have for some of the hunting rifle stuff, too. 550C arrived. Full toolhead kits for multiple cartridges have been added.

Garage bench has been setup and used for brass prep. Large & medium media tumblers live there. Bought a LEE APP press for universal decapping and bullet sizing. It'll be mounted to that garage bench.

Spare bedroom is now being converted to my mancave where I have the main bench built but the upper shelving unit needs to be finished as well as some type of backboard. Believe I'll go with a metal or polymer pegboard (much cheaper than wood now, lol). I need to get the shelves built & installed so I'll know what dimensions to use for pegboard rear. I have two 42" supernova-bright shop lights to mount to the shelf unit once it's ready. Thinking I'll have one at the very top....near ceiling height....above the case feeder and a second one mounted lower...to best illuminate the scale work surface. I'll have pinpoint lighting used for hitting the powder charge stations of both presses.

I've also been buying components all along, too. The stuff that I know for certain will be heavy use Items have been stacked deep....example TiteGroup, large pistol primers & 200gr lswc.

Luckily I bought enough primers to hold me a little while because now things have ground to a halt with primer availability. It is my best guess that will improve now that Remington is cranking out ammunition. Once they have happy distributors sitting on decent inventories they will most likely cut a few primers loose to the market. I'm guessing Federal may well follow suit. How soon this occurs is an unknown, but clearly it'll take a while until the distributors have stable inventories of 9mm & .223/5.56.

Life intervened in a big way shortly after I started acquiring the various reloading gear. Cancer returned to my beautiful bride of 27 years. She'd just hit 50 years old...gorgeous as ever....and it came back with a vengeance. While caring for her and working my hours on the job there was not much time for anything other than the occasional range therapy. I continued to add some gear and simply stash it in the future mancave....hoping that we'd reach a point where cancer would be dormant or beaten and we could resume our lives together.

That wasn't in God's plan. She'd shown such great response to the meds and things had gone well for two years....but then all of that changed in just a very few months. She passed in April. It caught me flat-footed, even though I'd had years to prepare. Took a couple months off work and got my head & heart wrapped around the fact that my best friend is now one of God's Angels. Her presence is felt in our home and I pray that is always the case.

Our son wrapped up college and graduated. He & his girlfriend have moved back into our home. He's been accepted in grad school and will live here for the next two years as he completes his masters. So grateful to have the kids here with me and the dogs.

I have resumed my range sessions....somedays I even feel like a range rat...spending too much time there, lol.

In addition to burning through much of my meager ammo supply I've also added a couple long guns that are going to be hungry: AR15's, AR10 and longer range steel banger in 6.5CM.

The amped up range enthusiasm along with the my son & his friends taking over the den on occasion has placed an emphasis on getting busy with the mancave. I need to get my presses mounted, dialed in and some ammo rolling along ASAP. I have some time off work this coming week that I plan on doing that very thing.

Will go TV shopping this week, too. Going to put a large screen in there....already have the cableTV & internet wired in. May add a MacMini. Comfortable leather wing chair & ottoman and a new MyPillow dog bed is already in there. ;)

It is going to be a race between the market catching up and the Biden-Harris gestapo clown show trying to shut down the firearms industry.

It's a tough time to start reloading.

Doesn't mean that it can't be a rewarding and fun hobby.....just more difficult to source the gear & consumables you'll need.

I've got a strong feeling that I'll be adding an additional bench or reconfiguring the space so I can slip in a Forster Co-Ax single stage, too. I have a sneaky suspicion the longer range steel-banging and desire for precision on such loads as well as those for my hunting rifles will have me desiring the Co-Ax. Time will tell. I'm interested in seeing what I can achieve with the 550C running rifle & 750XL running pistol rounds first.

Have dedicated toolheads for: 9mm, 38spcl, 38Super, 10mm, .44mag, .45acp, .45/70, 460S&W, .30'06, .308Win, .270Win and now 6.5CM.

I love the speed & ease of die change with the Forster. Your dies all remain set....you simply slip them in/out of the press. I can't begin to emphasize how much time this will save you. Huge factor. Also the design of the unit is very conducive to precise results as proven on runout gauges and the like.

Midway carries Forster gear.....but there is a MASSIVE shortage of Co-Ax presses nationwide right now. That would be my recommendation for you if you could find one.

Last edited:

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
CE, while primers are in short supply, my .02 is buy what you can find, set up your space, mount your press (mine is single stage RCBS rock chucker) purchase dies and familiarize yourself.
Lot of decisions to make - what powder with which caliber? Study your manuals - COAL for caliber? Etc Etc

For me its therapy, and gives me the opportunity to shoot more. I still have components to load, but I have more than a few rounds loaded or each caliber.

I load for handguns- super38, 9mm, 45auto, 44special, 38 special. It keeps me busy.

Enjoy CE

And Dub, again condolences on the passing of your bride.

Attachments

• 20210215_143523.jpg
    20210215_143523.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
CE, while primers are in short supply, my .02 is buy what you can find, set up your space, mount your press (mine is single stage RCBS rock chucker) purchase dies and familiarize yourself.
Lot of decisions to make - what powder with which caliber? Study your manuals - COAL for caliber? Etc Etc

For me its therapy, and gives me the opportunity to shoot more. I still have components to load, but I have more than a few rounds loaded or each caliber.

I load for handguns- super38, 9mm, 45auto, 44special, 38 special. It keeps me busy.

Enjoy CE

OK. You talked me into it. I'm going to place an order with Midway this week.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Enjoy CE

Thank you.

I am blessed by having so many wonderful years with her.

Reloading, pistol shooting, handloading, long range fun, hunting, sporting clays, fishing, dogs and a pile of good books will help pass the time.

@CECannonJr I hope that you have fun with it, too. It can be very gratifying.

It will also help spend any "extra " cash you find yourself burdened with, lol.

I kid you not. No matter how deep down the rabbit hole you go....there is always some next-level gear to pull you in deeper.

For example, I just ordered a powder funnel yesterday that only a select few addicts-fanatics could understand & justify. It is a simple funnel, yet its one I drooled over long enough and said..."enough of this....I'm getting it".

And so it goes......and likely will go.

At least I don't waste time or money in bars...or behind bars, lol.

Gave up smoking 20+ years ago.

Gave up drinking 2+ years ago. Did so to be alert 24/7 for caregiver role. Now I've learned just how much I relied on it to calm & chill me out. Scared to ever open that door again.

So, if I were to factor in the cost savings of not drinking or smoking.....my gun funds should be righteous. Thats the logic I'm going to roll with.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Make sure you can attain primers , bullets , powder , dies . Primers are non existant around here . There were some two weeks ago . That was then , this is now .

reports from industry insiders say that ship loads of primers willbe going to ammo makers, then we will get some--sooner than later-probably by december--but NOT at th e old price--FYI

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
happy BD to anothe r june baby .

get your stuff together. as I poste d in another thread but it is worth repeating

get at least 2 manuals(lymans,hornady, sierra...) and read them a couple times.= to get the feel of reloading and what is required

besides a loading machine(single or progressive), you need caliber changes and dies for each caliber, a scale, a caliper, some extra parts(especially for primer pick ups), prime rpick ups for large and small primers, aprimer flip tray, cases to hold loose casings,bullets, cases for completed ammo(?), possibly a powder measure( if you go single stage),

of course powder for the calibers you w ant to load( themanuals willhelp guide you), casings, a vibrating( dry) case cleaner andmedia to use, nufinish car polish( if you are using use dbrass this works great, hornady one shot case lube( makes loading easier),

some single stage presses require you toi get case holders for the shells you are prepping and loading, bullets inthe size ,style and caliber you use, primers in the size you need, some get case gauges( I prefer to plink the loaded ammo in thebarrels that I am shooting each time( you load a round by hand to be sure the ammo will fit and eject properly)

the brian enos forum is a great place for info

good luck

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
reports from industry insiders say that ship loads of primers willbe going to ammo makers, then we will get some--sooner than later-probably by december--but NOT at th e old price--FYI
Heard same thing . LGS said new price will be $60.00 per 1,000 instead of the $38.00 we had been paying . I can live with that . Lots of factors at play . Biden just signed us up for a corporation tax , which will be passed on to consumers .

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't reload, was goin to and bought a used Dillon 550 just about time things went south with components, so I sold it, got a guy that reloads my competition rounds at reasonable prices, I'm constantly gathering brass for him and we grab primers and bullets when something pops up, anyway just about everyone I shoot with reloads and all use Dillons, no personal experience but they all speak highly of them, customer service according to one of them is excellent

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Dub, I offer condolences on the passing of your bride as well.

It's always a good time to get into reloading, IMO bu tas many have mentioned, some times are easier and / or more economical than others.
Back in the mid-70's had a neighbor show me how to hand load on a RCBS Rockchucker.. he loaded plinker loads with it.. 240gr. LSWC's in 44 Mag cases propelled with 2.5 gr. of Bullseye.. I learned the process enough to get started, but saw an ad in a gun magazine I subscribed to, for a new kind of progressive machine, it was called the Dillon 450. Only large commercial machines were progressives @ the time.
I ordered one, when it arrived , read the instructions, mounted it to a bench & got started. That was over 40 yrs. ago, been using it ever since.
Despite my experience & use of a progressive press, I believe & suggest most would do better starting with a single stage press, for a variety of reasons.
I also own a single stage press, a few of them. I load all my rifle rds. on a single stage press.

The equipment needed for loading isn't terribly different for a single stage press vs a progressive, but amount of $ invested may be considerably less in getting a single stage press. As many start hand loading & for whatever reason, do not continue with it, the lower expense of the single stage may be easier to get in a sale of unwanted equipment.

The main reason I feel most should start on a single stage press is..it teaches you to focus & concentrate on every step of the process.
Distraction is the biggest enemy of hand loading., followed closely by haste...trying to load rds. too fast. Though it is possible to load 400, 500 or more rds/ hr. speed should be the last goal someone new-to-reloading should attempt to obtain. It's easy to make a mistake, by being distracted while reloading.
Easier to catch a mistake, or correct a problem while using a single stage press. Experience has shown this to be true.

A double charge in a case or a squib load, sticking a bullet in a barrel, are not challenges a new hand loader should want to experience.
Haste can be both costly & dangerous.

While some, like Mike A1 above, suggest & recommend the best equipment possible ..if funds are available , it is a good way to go, and
a good investment that will make sense with years of heavy use. Some have financial obligations or limited funds that prevent such an investment.
I started using mostly RCBS tools, inc. dies all except my Dillon press. I tried other brands as my collection of calibers increased. Also have Hornady, Lyman, Redding, Dillon, and Lee brands of dies. I started replacing many of my RCBS die sets with Lee dies, as I prefer Lee's decapping spindle / collet system.
While other brands may make more accurate loads, my shooting ability limits my need for more accurate loads.
I will say my best hand loads were capable of shooting a 5 shot group in under .4" @ 100 yrs in my 220Swift..this done using Lee brand dies.

One comment re: Dillon's advertising the replacement tool heads allowing you " to adjust dies once,then you're set.." per caliber.
This is only true if you always shoot exactly the same bullet. I learned that the key to good, ( accurate, reliable) loads is to adjust the dies carefully.
For me, this came with practice. My 450 doesn't have a replaceable tool head..dies thread into top of press. I have to adjust dies every time I change caliber, or bullet used . I have learned how to adjust dies..it took time & practice to do this. I avoided updating to a 550 press after they came out for this reason.
My belief is Dillon developed the 550 as it wants to sell a lot of toolheads, powder measures, etc..

to CECannonJr, order whatever equipment you can find and afford..a good manual (Hornady & Lyman are both great) will describe what you need to get started.. you find components when you can.