R1 Enhanced

Stlshooter

New Fanatic
Picked up an R1 Enhanced and usually carry IWB. I have had 1911's before a SA and carried in a Bianchi #7 and really liked it no problems. It seems with the R1 that the safety disengages VERY easy. Anyone else have problems with this line ? Just don't want any unwanted discharges. TIA

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Picked up an R1 Enhanced and usually carry IWB. I have had 1911's before a SA and carried in a Bianchi #7 and really liked it no problems. It seems with the R1 that the safety disengages VERY easy. Anyone else have problems with this line ? Just don't want any unwanted discharges. TIA
Mine is as positive as any of my Kimbers, Desert Eagle, Colt or Springfields.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Can I ask what king of IWB holster you use if carrying that way ?
Sorry not gonna be any help there, I use 1911's for IDPA and fun at the range, some steel challenge, don't carry them. However I have been having a strong urge to try one of those 3-3 1/2" barrel ones with officers size grip here lately. Fortunately or unfortunately the choices are endless which is also confusing. Lol I need you to go ahead and figure this out so if I do decide to do that you will have some answers for me

Pedro

Fanatic
Stlshooter, Just in case you haven't fixed it yet, I've found that Wolff plunger tube springs stiffen up the thumb safety dramatically; https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...=Avantlink&utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine
Pedro.

falrifles

Fanatic
Mine is the standard 5 inch 1911R1. My safety is firm in application and release. The issue I had was with failure to feed from the magazine right out of the box. It was a used gun. It looked brand new. Made in Arkansas. Took it too a good local gunsmith, who discovered that someone had shortened the recoil spring. After replacing that he re-sprung the two factory magazines with Colt springs and followers. He polished the feed ramp and tuned the extractor. Its 100% now. I took him a different 1911 last year with a mushy operating safety. He firmed that up for me. I guess he installed a harder spring.

Cardplayer64

Fanatic
Mine is the standard 5 inch 1911R1. My safety is firm in application and release. The issue I had was with failure to feed from the magazine right out of the box. It was a used gun. It looked brand new. Made in Arkansas. Took it too a good local gunsmith, who discovered that someone had shortened the recoil spring. After replacing that he re-sprung the two factory magazines with Colt springs and followers. He polished the feed ramp and tuned the extractor. Its 100% now. I took him a different 1911 last year with a mushy operating safety. He firmed that up for me. I guess he installed a harder spring.
Hard to beat an R1- 5" carry for anything you want to do with it. Whether you compete, carry or just shoot at the range. Remington R-1Carry is a Quality Forged slide and frame with tight tolerances. Trick it out with all competition internals along with higher extended beavertail and lighter hammer and trigger, and beveled magwell etc.. Smooth out what few machining marks there are and your set brother..Every bit as good if not better than using a Springfield as a base to build a high quality weapon ..Smooth rounded contours for using as a carry weapon as well. Can't go wrong with a Remington R-1 Carry..

Mr.Fister

Active Fanatic
I didn't know that the R1's were milled and not a cast frame? Is that for all models of the Remmys?

falrifles

Fanatic
So I guess my advice is to take it to a good gunsmith familiar with 1911's and have him make that thumb safety more firm and positive in operation. My go to favorite personal 1911 is the stainless Kimber Custom TLE II. My avatar is my actual personal gun. Its one of the Hurst Texas PD trade-ins. However, I do have more than one 1911. I do like the Remington 1911R1 a lot. Some of them have issues, not unlike the Colt 1911's in the 1970's. My first 1911 was a Colt series 70 Government model, with the collet barrel bushing. It was the 5 inch nickle plated pistol. It would not feed 100% with target loads. Later I carried a blued Combat Commander. No issues with that pistol. I wish I still had that gun. I was lured away from it by a S&W model 39. I wish I still had that gun as well...

The story of my life. Getting rid of one gun to obtain another. A financial reality as a public servant, with a family to support.

Last edited:

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry didn't see this earlier . I'm assuming by your screen name you're in St.Louis area . A good gunsmith to remedy this issue is Eric , at Helix gunsmithing in Arnold . They're in Top Gun's building .