Quiet as a cartridge hitting the rug.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
You could hear a pin drop.
Must be everyone's on Vacation. I've been out training some new grape vines onto the wire.
Super hot here I hope it rains soon. The classic thunder storm in the afternoon, rain called the
poor mans rain. Work all day in the hot sun then around 3-4 oclock it rains and you quit work
go indoors & the rain cools everything off for the evening.

Anyone else grow Organic Wine grapes? it's a real great feeling to get them to the wire & start the Cordons in the right direction.
Anyone out there? LOL
Yep I got scuppernong grapes all over the place cannot get rid of them...but they are organic.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Yep I got scuppernong grapes all over the place cannot get rid of them...but they are organic.

Scuppernong famous here in the Carolinas for Wine juice, jelly's etc.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Scuppernong famous here in the Carolinas for Wine juice, jelly's etc.
I got the vines but they never produce. Now my neighbor's produce beautiful big grapes. Put the in the frig & grreat for breakfast.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I got the vines but they never produce. Now my neighbor's produce beautiful big grapes. Put the in the frig & grreat for breakfast.

I have to say I learned everything I know from the School of You Toob ;) yep some really good teachers on there.
It's all about the way & the time you trim your grapes I use the trunk into two Cordons like a big T a stalk with out stretched arms.
trained onto wire at 40" for the Cordons & top wire at 6.5', they are really growing fast their first year so far.

Just search how to trim old grape vines & get your note book ready ,it's really easy to grow good grapes even Organically.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
I have to say I learned everything I know from the School of You Toob ;) yep some really good teachers on there.
It's all about the way & the time you trim your grapes I use the trunk into two Cordons like a big T a stalk with out stretched arms.
trained onto wire at 40" for the Cordons & top wire at 6.5', they are really growing fast their first year so far.

Just search how to trim old grape vines & get your note book ready ,it's really easy to grow good grapes even Organically.
Thanks, now you have me curious...

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Growing up, my parents had a grape vine of those big, plump purple grapes.. It stretched most the way across the double lot we owned. (Maybe 50'-60')
As I was a kid, always wanting to get whatever work I had to do, finished ASAP, so I could go play with friends / neighbors, I didn't pay much attention to how Dad took care of the vines. I do know that every year, we had bumper-crop of grapes. You could stand in front of the vine & fill a paper grocery bag FULL to the top ( 'member paper grocery bags ?) without having to move from the spot where you were standing. Dad gave away grapes to any friends / neighbors that wanted to pick them. Most wanted you to pick them for them. Mom canned grape jelly & grape juice..seemed she canned it, but don't remember drinking it. When we sold their house, after they'd passed, we threw away so much canned stuff (all home garden grown) it makes me feel ill to think about it.
Threw it away as it was 20+ yrs old & afraid to try & consume it. Dad tried making wine a few times..I thought it was nasty..my older brother didn't mind..he drank some of it.. I wasn't into alcohol consumption @ the time. I do remember we'd wait 'till after the first frost, to pick the grapes.
I believe Dad said waiting 'till after the frost made the grapes sweeter.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
You could hear a pin drop.
Must be everyone's on Vacation. I've been out training some new grape vines onto the wire.
Super hot here I hope it rains soon. The classic thunder storm in the afternoon, rain called the
poor mans rain. Work all day in the hot sun then around 3-4 oclock it rains and you quit work
go indoors & the rain cools everything off for the evening.

Anyone else grow Organic Wine grapes? it's a real great feeling to get them to the wire & start the Cordons in the right direction.
Anyone out there? LOL
I have grown a lot of things in the past but never grapes . How long to get a vine or two started ?

PanHandlerFL

Well-Known Fanatic
Seriously, ya'll talking about vineyard techniques, winemaking and canning is gonna get us on a gov. list!! I hear the Department of Agriculture is searching out sites to find insidious nests of gardners/hobbyists/homesteaders…lol, truly enjoying the conversation, wine has an honored place in our home.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey my relatives in the old country would distill all that was left after making their wine...the wine was good...they came up with a clear liquid that would knock your socks off...moon shine...my cousin & I would stomp the grapes.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Seriously, ya'll talking about vineyard techniques, winemaking and canning is gonna get us on a gov. list!! I hear the Department of Agriculture is searching out sites to find insidious nests of gardners/hobbyists/homesteaders…lol, truly enjoying the conversation, wine has an honored place in our home.

The Mountains of Western NC is known for Moonshine, :rolleyes: Cherry & Peach Smash some of my favorites over the years.
Never made any myself but it's not hard to find. I came here to learn Mountain medicine the Herbal meds of the Mountains I
learned about from my Grandmother way back.

Back in 78 this ( Western NC ) was a paradise for anyone searching knowledge about Herbal Medicine here in the US.
I got my first sip of shine after walking up a trail to meet a granny Woman about some Golden seal & Ginseng root.
When a tall hairy big long beard mountain man stepped out with a long double barreled 12 gauge shotgun and asked me
who the ell I was. I do not have an accent especially a southern accent so it was touch & go until Granny got involved.

Long story short I got to taste some mighty fine Shine & could not remember to this day where in the ell I was & how to get back again.

PanHandlerFL

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey my relatives in the old country would distill all that was left after making their wine...the wine was good...they came up with a clear liquid that would knock your socks off...moon shine...my cousin & I would stomp the grapes.
As I lived in the old countries in Western Europe for many many years...I can with little fear of being incorrect state that you are describing a fine...fine...fine by-product of grape skins/seeds/stems left over from wine making called "Grappa" or have also had "Aquavite D'uva (Water of Life from Grapes)..the honey flavored Grappa is my favorite. The Grappa from Italy was by far my favorite and still is. Few years back I tried to order a very small "Copper Distilled Water Maker" and was on my way to experimenting with distilling "water" when I was informed I basically had to fill out a gov distilled Spirits permit...that was a no go from that point on. Thank You, and your relatives, for making a superior form of "pain killer". And to all you Moonshiners out there...SKOL!

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
As I lived in the old countries in Western Europe for many many years...I can with little fear of being incorrect state that you are describing a fine...fine...fine by-product of grape skins/seeds/stems left over from wine making called "Grappa" or have also had "Aquavite D'uva (Water of Life from Grapes)..the honey flavored Grappa is my favorite. The Grappa from Italy was by far my favorite and still is. Few years back I tried to order a very small "Copper Distilled Water Maker" and was on my way to experimenting with distilling "water" when I was informed I basically had to fill out a gov distilled Spirits permit...that was a no go from that point on. Thank You, and your relatives, for making a superior form of "pain killer". And to all you Moonshiners out there...SKOL!

It's not hard to $ee why the Gubamint want's it's nose in your drink, it has always been about the Money they can steal from everyday people.
Now many former Moonshiners have begun growing Pot for the larger profit. Let today be a lesson about Legal Pot someday o_O yep it will be just the
same a Alcohol today, if you make it or grow they will Tax you for the right 2. The right? Even the Water of life is not immune 2 TAXES!

I, 2 salute the men & women of the Bootlegging industries they keep the people happy. As for the greedy Gubamint well what they don't know
will help you, Why listen 2 anything they say, when they are letting real Criminals out of prison. Who's in charge? I am just curious as to whom
I am supposed to be listening to, as how I should behave today with 0 bail & your back out on the streets again the same day with Killers & rapist.

Remember how the Press & Democrats treated President Trump? Who's in Charge?

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
The Mountains of Western NC is known for Moonshine, :rolleyes: Cherry & Peach Smash some of my favorites over the years.
Never made any myself but it's not hard to find. I came here to learn Mountain medicine the Herbal meds of the Mountains I
learned about from my Grandmother way back.

Back in 78 this ( Western NC ) was a paradise for anyone searching knowledge about Herbal Medicine here in the US.
I got my first sip of shine after walking up a trail to meet a granny Woman about some Golden seal & Ginseng root.
When a tall hairy big long beard mountain man stepped out with a long double barreled 12 gauge shotgun and asked me
who the ell I was. I do not have an accent especially a southern accent so it was touch & go until Granny got involved.

Long story short I got to taste some mighty fine Shine & could not remember to this day where in the ell I was & how to get back again.
Back in the early 70's at New River in NC...we were told if you see smoke in the mountains do not fly over that area...guys were coming back with holes in the A/C. Got to taste some pretty good stuff in them there hills...also some beautiful country.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have grown a lot of things in the past but never grapes . How long to get a vine or two started ?

One thing I have learned about Grapes is they like to grow, so no matter what method you choose to train them you must control their growth.
I use the for Wine grapes & I use 7' metal T post to make a 10 wide Paracord first then Wire at 14" for the trunk
& again at 38" for the Cordons. I space my wine grapes at 8' with each having an eight foot spread with spurs at every 10".

Grapes are easy to grow they only take work if you want an organized plant, you will be surprised at how much you will trim off each winter as grapes
grow like crazy. Watch you tube & decide what method you want to use before you plant the vines then prepare your holes & use Organic fertilizer because
it will slowly release nutrients slowly as Grapes really do not need much food 4 them or you will get all leaves & little bity grapes.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Don't understand why the Utube Vids are not showing up but I'm having issues again with posting here.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Now I'm getting doubles & everything is loading sooo slooow :eek:

Latest posts