Quick question on JP trigger

dennishoddy

I've always used timmney triggers on my rifles, but decided to try a JP on the Rem R-15 AR.
I looked in brownells, and found the JP trigger kit (part #, jpfcp1ez), for $259.99.

A little more looking, I found the speed hammer (part# jpsh1), for $49.99, and the trigger kit minus the speed hammer(part# jpfc1), for $119.00.
The only thing I can see is that I'm not getting the anti-walk pins that come with the complete kit, and saving $90.00 by buying the individual components.
Am I missing something here?

Chambers

actual GM
#jpfcp1ez is the EZ trigger which is easier to put in, but more expensive.

The anti walk pins are 100% worth it. But you can replicate the results of the speed hammer by chopping the back off a milspec hammer, and have an equivalent trigger for $125 if you put it in yourself.

dennishoddy

I'm pretty handy around a machine shop, so how much fitting is required with the individual components vs the drop in unit?

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Buy the trigger and pins and install it yourself. JP used to include a DVD of how to install the trigger as well as a nice instruction book. Follow those directions and you will be fine. If I can do it anyone can.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
#jpfcp1ez is the EZ trigger which is easier to put in, but more expensive.

The anti walk pins are 100% worth it. But you can replicate the results of the speed hammer by chopping the back off a milspec hammer, and have an equivalent trigger for $125 if you put it in yourself.
what he said.

The EZ Trigger & the normal JP Trigger are different animals. The adjustment screws are in different places.
As nice as the JP Trigger is, The EZ Trigger is even better. But probably not $100 better ;)

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Interesting, I have always used JP triggers and I just installed a Timney in my LOKi to give it a test run. I guess we can never leave well enough alone.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
lol... I won't touch the Tapco catalog. I haven't seen a single thing from them that looked like it had any kind of quality to it.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Install a set of JP springs for $10 and LIGHTLY stone the trigger/hammer engagement and it will improve the trigger pull.

dennishoddy

Install a set of JP springs for $10 and LIGHTLY stone the trigger/hammer engagement and it will improve the trigger pull.

Now you tell me! Just kidding.
I've already done the stoning on the original trigger, and put synthetic grease on it. It really felt good for 20 or so trigger pulls, and then the creep started to come back. Actually it was there, but the grease made it feel better for awhile.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The trigger is key to accurate repeatable long range shooting. Long range Shooting is the one thing I we all struggle with the most. Save $ and get a good trigger. It is way more important than that magpul grip, stock, or 15" handguard.

dennishoddy

I agree. I've always used timney triggers in the past, so this JP installation will be a test to see which I prefer when I get a trigger for a Spikes lower.