Questions for a Mechanic

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
So I dont know if anyone on here knows anything about it but I found a 1977 International Scout II for sale, its been completely redone it seems, and I like it a lot but I dont know that much about them, any mechanics on here who would be willing and knowledgable enough to help me out so I dont buy a dud! Id appreciate it and there might be some monetary compensation for you efforts!

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Overall I can say watch the exhaust when you start it, if smoke comes out it probably has valve seals leaking and if you put your foot in it if it smokes could be valve seals or rings, Spit and sputtering is probably carburetor related just crawl under it and check for leaks at the differentials and trans/ transfer case area and around the engine. I am not much for knowledge on the Int. Scout but been around Chevy's and Ford's my whole life, I can say if all of the above checks out and it drives good and doesn't overheat then I would say you are probably safe. Now with that said, it is an old vehicle, so if you get it buy an Chilton's magazine and and know that problems will most likely happen I hope this helps you out.

michaeltm28

New Fanatic
I have had alittle fun with the 800a scout,The one you are looking at is a better designed unit as it comes with power disc brakes and dana 44 axles front and rear.I do suggest you only purchase a v8 304,345,or possible the 401amc.We installed a 345 in the scout 800a and it was plenty of power with the 4 barrel holley.The early ones are 80s have to be what the 66 bronco was inspired by considering they were in bed with ford for ever.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had alittle fun with the 800a scout,The one you are looking at is a better designed unit as it comes with power disc brakes and dana 44 axles front and rear.I do suggest you only purchase a v8 304,345,or possible the 401amc.We installed a 345 in the scout 800a and it was plenty of power with the 4 barrel holley.The early ones are 80s have to be what the 66 bronco was inspired by considering they were in bed with ford for ever.
The truck has a bored over 392. I dont know much about the scout, I just really like the truck and I hear good things about them.

Latest posts