PPC Match 5

TroyF

TheBearcat
Not so much a drill, but a great measure of accuracy. This is the test one must take/pass to make it through Oklahoma's LE Firearms Instructor School.

Setup: B27 target (x ring, 10 ring, 9 ring, 8 ring, 7 ring), barricades at 25 and 50 yards.

Front half:
7 yards: draw shoot 6, reload, shoot six. Time limit 24 seconds
25 yards: drawn and kneel shooting shits shots kneeling, six shots support hand off support side of barricade, six shots strong hand off strong side. Time limit 90 seconds

Score target. Each bullet is worth it's scoring ring value. 30 shots would be worth a max of 300 points.

Back half:
50 yards: 6 shots sitting, 6 shots prone, six standing support hand off support side of barricade, six strong hand off strong hand side. Time limits: 2 minutes, 45 seconds
15 yards: six shots standing in 12 seconds

Score target as instructions above. 300 total points available.
Add front score to back score, 600 total points available. For LE Firearms Instructors it takes 480 to get into the instructor school, and 540 to pass. Best I have done is a 592 with a bull barrel 6" PPC revolver. Lance Jensen and I both shot in the 580s during our instructor school with 4" revolvers.

The course is slow, but if your accuracy is lacking.......I don't think there is anything better out there.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
I believe the 7 yard 6+6 is only 20 seconds, there were a few times in school I'd have loved for it to have been 24...

How could you ever forget that course??? I lived and breathed it for about 6 months!! Lol also its 6 shoots at 25, not 15... this course is humbling!

Troy if you remember I did it with one eye... my non dominant eye!

Okshootist

Fanatic
I think it would be a shame to develop that kind of skill with a revolver and not make it to an occasional ICORE match.

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
Quick 6 is 25 yards.

The match 5 was a PIA, only because I didn't have a FI to teach me positions, revolver techniques, etc. My first match 5 and first time really shooting a revolver(50 or so rds prior just to feel difference from auto) was during Phase 1. This is definitely a different match, and it's very hard to shoot after you've been shooting all high speed ninja. I shot a 541, 542, and a 543 with a fixed sight S&W Model 10(Thanks again, Marshall). I shot it once with my Glock 34 and pulled a 515-520ish.

TroyF

TheBearcat
I stand corrected! 25 it is. I may have read that off of one of the other matches.

Yeah, that course is no joke. And it's real sporty with a semi-auto.

I've been trying to find what my score was when I made the Governors 20. But that was based off the 1500.

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
I stand corrected! 25 it is. I may have read that off of one of the other matches.

Yeah, that course is no joke. And it's real sporty with a semi-auto.

I've been trying to find what my score was when I made the Governors 20. But that was based off the 1500.

We had some instructors come in for P2 that were shooting 560-570 with Glocks. I was very impressed.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
Quick 6 is 25 yards.

The match 5 was a PIA, only because I didn't have a FI to teach me positions, revolver techniques, etc. My first match 5 and first time really shooting a revolver(50 or so rds prior just to feel difference from auto) was during Phase 1. This is definitely a different match, and it's very hard to shoot after you've been shooting all high speed ninja. I shot a 541, 542, and a 543 with a fixed sight S&W Model 10(Thanks again, Marshall). I shot it once with my Glock 34 and pulled a 515-520ish.

I was told that the course was out and that it would be so many 100's out of so many tries on the CLEET course, then 3~4 weeks before the school.... match 5... I didn't even have a load worked up till just before the school, went straight from ACP2 to phase 1...(huge adjust)

we did have a few auto drivers drill out the match 5.. rouggee was real salty.. but all but 3 of our 11 in my class did with a revo

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
I was told that the course was out and that it would be so many 100's out of so many tries on the CLEET course, then 3~4 weeks before the school.... match 5... I didn't even have a load worked up till just before the school, went straight from ACP2 to phase 1...(huge adjust)

we did have a few auto drivers drill out the match 5.. rouggee was real salty.. but all but 3 of our 11 in my class did with a revo

Hell, I asked VO before going and I knew I would be shooting match 5 but couldn't get the time to practice it or time to familiarize myself with a revo. I was initially going to go into it with an auto but 2 weeks before class, I decided to shoot revo and bought as much factory ammo as I could. Glad I did!

Norman

Fanatic
Is single action allowed at all in FIS? Just got most of ths use of my shoulder back and I'm starting to dry fire again.

TroyF

TheBearcat
Single action as in cocking a revo, or single action as in 1911?

Both are. But on the revo, you wont have time.....

Norman

Fanatic
Revo, I shooting a S&W 586. I was contemplating trying SA from the 50, especially with my left hand. I'd love to shoot a nice 1911, but my FI won't sign off on my phase 1 letter unless I shoot a 540 with a revolver.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
Really no need to unless your trigger sucks. Nobody in my class did. You can make it with a semi but I saw many fail with them. Don't know if it was equipment or lack of preparation. Plus they typically have a phase one at fi school. Worth going to if you ask me.

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
Quit being a puss Chase :p On a serious note, if Vince is going to hold a Phase 1 this year, I would go to that rather then having your FI sign off for phase 1. 12 or so tries rather then 6 or so tries to shoot 540. Shoot a 540 in phase 1 in front of Vince and it counts towards phase 2. Get that monkey off your back in phase 1 if at all possible!

Norman

Fanatic
Haha yea I guess I'll just out my big boy pamrs on and shoot it double action, especially if you did it with a model 10. I'm not that ninja, I'll cheat anywhere I can. More dry fires for me

On a side note, 'they' are still trying to do away with match 5 still. I talked to Vince km Nov. and he said its still match 5 as of then.

On a further side Troy if you're still in here I'd appreciate it if you'd text me. IPhone but it and I no longer have your number, and I need a PPC holster

Haha yea I guess I'll just out my big boy pants on and shoot it double action, especially if you did it with a model 10. I'm not that ninja, I'll cheat anywhere I can. More dry fires for me

On a side note, 'they' are still trying to do away with match 5 still. I talked to Vince km Nov. and he said its still match 5 as of then.

On a further side Troy if you're still in here I'd appreciate it if you'd text me. IPhone but it and I no longer have your number, and I need a PPC holster