Popping shotgun cherry

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
No kidding. Buckshot has what, 9 00 pellets in it? 9 pellets impacting compared to one round is not an equivalent comparison. Wonder what the trauma rating for nine 62gr 5.56mm rounds is.

Kind of a pointless debate for me; I use a 7.62x39 for home defense. I have an a 5.56mm rifle and a 12 ga. in the safe, though.

Not really a debate, just a friendly discussion. The OP appeared concerned about overpenetration and non-lethal ammo was suggested.

A standard OO buck is 8 or 9 30 caliber pellets launched at once, much more kinetic energy than a single shot of anything short of maybe a 50BMG. You're absolutely right - an apples to apples comparison would need to compare an equal number of projectiles. That wasn't my point.

What I found eye-opening was that, contrary to intuitive thinking and "common" wisdom, an AR round, and likely an AK round as well, is much less likely to injure someone in the next room than even a handgun round. Like you, my safe has a variety of options. But if my primary concern was overpenetration and shots injuring someone through a wall, an AR/AK would be my first choice.

OP: Go get that shotgun and enough ammo to become and stay proficient. They are a hell of a lot of fun and a great home defense solution.

jbjoinerjr

Fanatic
I appreciate all the feedback and open discussion this has welcomed. My primary purpose for wanting a shotty in the first place is simply to add to my collection. The points being made about over penetration are certainly a concern for home defense. I personally prefer lethal rounds to non lethal. Also when I think of being in an honest sitiation of home defense I think of it occuring at night when I would be waking out of a cold sleep. Having said that, my concern would definately be awareness of surroundings, would my first and hopefully only shot be well placed? Also there are other family members in my home and the last thing I want is to injury one of them in a firefight to save them in the first place. Another thing that i have in mind is the fact that I as the home owner will also be responsible for the blood stains & damage to my personal property after the fact. Please keep the posts coming because I enjoy hearing other points of view as well other situations where a shotgun is recommended for home defense. It helps me justify the cost to the wifey :)

Latest posts