Point of impact

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Seems like you really want the factory to make it zero for you . Give it a shot . Send the target with it , and a polite letter explaining your situation . Maybe they can help . FWIW , I don't think it's you . Some guns are just in need of sighting in and fixed sights require more effort . So many members suggested letting other people shoot the gun or shoot from a rest is they didn't read the previous posts saying the exact same thing . Happens all the time . Good luck .

Spokes

Well-Known Fanatic
Brand new gun with a brand new trigger. Shoot it some more.
I had an expensive Colt SAA took it out first time it was grouping like yours I ran back to the dealer agitated.
Do something please this is way off. Scott said shoot it some more then bring it back. I did that, guess what, it was me.

Oh I forgot to mention I was a master class shooter It could not be me. YES IT WAS!

Golfnut27

Fanatic
The grouping looks like a common shooter error that I make . I anticipate the recoil and pull slightly down and left. If you have another 45 that you shoot spot on, that probably isn't the case.

Try a bench rest. Or see if another shooter gets the same results .

I usually see this phenomenon if I have not shot pistol in a long while.

I'm just curious, is your first shot closer to the point of aim than the rest of them?
Yes, anticipation of a shot usually results in low, left impact. Shoot it off a rest and see if that corrects the problem. If not, it may be the sights.

HB Rider

Active Fanatic
Koda, unless I missed it, I didn't see any mention of the make/model of gun, type of fixed sights (3-dot, straight eight, plain black, etc.), nor the ammo type/weight you are using. All may be important to answer the question, because I believe it's the gun, not you.

A friend and I each had identical Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm pistols, both were shooting 4+" high at 15 yards. (I don't test accuracy at less than 15 yards.) We sent them back to the factory with the test targets, noting the distance and that we were shooting center hold, not 6-o'clock hold. They replaced the front sight on each gun at no charge. I had my gun back in just under two weeks, shooting point of aim/point of impact with 124gr ammo at 15 yards.

I'll note that my 9mm 1911 pistols shoot higher at 15 yards with 115gr ammo than the do with 124gr.

BobB

New Fanatic
I have a dilemma and need opinions...

Brand new 1911, first time firing it and the POI is way off for me. I need the brutal truth if its just me or if this should go back to warranty repair.

the smaller 3" target was shot at from 3yds, the larger 8" target was shot at from 7 yards (forgive the two fliers, that was me...). Both standing, slow fire using a dead hold sight picture every shot right over the center bullseye. I'm less concerned about the windage but the low POI is too much for me.

Is it me or are the sights off? I dont have this problem with any other 1911, what would you do if your new one shot this way?

View attachment 5470
Is the gun new out of the box? Any indication of previous owner fix's? Before drastic sight rework, is there a friend who shoots a 1911? If so, have them shoot it.
Next step might be a good bench rest test. Lastly, sights.

Snowman45

Fanatic
As others have said, bench rest it to be certain you are having no affect on POI and that it is all sight settings. None of us are infallible and no two guns are identical. Sounds to me like you might save yourself a lot of hassle by trying the obvious first.

Sk8r

Active Fanatic
You have not mentioned the manufacturer; what the company is may affect their likely responsiveness to any hope you may have of sending it to them to be addressed. Some companies are very good with CS, while others are terrible.

If I really liked a gun in all other regards but had the problem that you describe, I would not bother trying to send it back to the manufacturer or gain warranty service for this issue if it was manufactured by a company with bad CS; doing so would result in even more headaches.

Ultimately--after some benchrest and other shooter testing and assuming that those tests validate your findings--sight adjustment would probably be in order, as explained by many previous responses, and that is something you can do yourself or have friend with a "sight-pusher" jig do for you.

HB Rider

Active Fanatic
You have not mentioned the manufacturer; what the company is may affect their likely responsiveness to any hope you may have of sending it to them to be addressed. Some companies are very good with CS, while others are terrible.

If I really liked a gun in all other regards but had the problem that you describe, I would not bother trying to send it back to the manufacturer or gain warranty service for this issue if it was manufactured by a company with bad CS; doing so would result in even more headaches.

Ultimately--after some benchrest and other shooter testing and assuming that those tests validate your findings--sight adjustment would probably be in order, as explained by many previous responses, and that is something you can do yourself or have friend with a "sight-pusher" jig do for you.

A sight pusher for the windage, but that doesn't help the elevation issue. If it is a plain black front sight, I would carefully file it down, but if it is anything else - FO, tritium, etc., - it would need a new shorter front sight.

Roger Watkins

Fanatic
I have a dilemma and need opinions...

Brand new 1911, first time firing it and the POI is way off for me. I need the brutal truth if its just me or if this should go back to warranty repair.

the smaller 3" target was shot at from 3yds, the larger 8" target was shot at from 7 yards (forgive the two fliers, that was me...). Both standing, slow fire using a dead hold sight picture every shot right over the center bullseye. I'm less concerned about the windage but the low POI is too much for me.

Is it me or are the sights off? I dont have this problem with any other 1911, what would you do if your new one shot this way?

View attachment 5470
How sensitive is the trigger? Looks like the classic trigger 'jerk' but if you don't normally do that and the sights are on, it might be caused by a trigger taking too much to pull. I have a Remington 1911 that I don't shoot partly for that reason. They other is it won't feed hollow points but that's another story.

bigd63

Fanatic
Haven't seen it mentioned, but in my experience shooting many different guns; a heavy trigger pull (IMO over 4 lbs) will cause me to pull my shots low and left. Generally, when I'd lighten the pull weight, I'd get closer to being on target. Don't know if that applies in this case, but if the trigger is in the 5-7 lb range like a lot of production guns these days, that might be something to check.
Note: I hadn't seen Roger's post when I posted, but we're thinking along the same lines.

Chax

Fanatic
Different guns--different triggers, different handles, weights. One trigger type may move POI for some. I always benchrest a new gun, maybe not first, but early on, just to see, at a good distance.

If it groups, looks like good gun, custom gun yes send back, econo production, id try to make work as mentioned above.

Sundance98

Fanatic
There is a psychological advantage to shooting with both eyes open and closed. You really have to try it. You don't state whether you are shooting with a Modified Weaver Stance or with both hands or if you even see the front sight. Looking at your target doesn't say much. If you are flinching...the POI should wander right, not left. The other thing is that the POI is not low or high. That might say you have a fairly firm grip on the firearm. Good. So, go back to the range, only this time do not shoot at the 3 or 7 yard level. That is ridiculous. Start at the 25 yard target. If you hit anywhere on the target consistently....everything will be exaggerated and the error of your ways will easily be found. When you shoot at 3 and 7 yard targets, your breathing is everything. Hold you breath and you miss. Let it out too soon and you miss. Try not to make fundamental mistakes. Shooting off of sand bags can either help or hinder. First be totally relaxed. If you are stiff....you are going to sway. If you sway you will miss. OK, sorry, but everything starts with your CORE as they say. Are you overweight or skinny? Makes a lot of difference in the style of shooting you need to employ. At any rate, please try point shooting....at 25 yards.
Both eyes open....then both eyes closed. Fun stuff...really.

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
As many folks have told you, it's a common problem many of us go thru. I have several 1911 guns that I shoot very well, but every now and then I'll buy another gun, and low and behold I am doing the same things- low and to the left. When this 1st started to happen, I gave it (Colt Gold Cup) to a friend (and someone at the shop) looking for them to duplicate my shots, thus proving it was the gun and not me.

Guess what happened, the gun shot spot on (one was a Les Baer). Another way to test the gun, have someone put 2 or 3 snap caps mixed in the magazine so you don't know where they are. Then see if you flinch when you hit the snap caps. The solution for me was to just fight thru it, practice, practice, and practice.

Try these before you send the gun back, you may save yourself a lot of time. AND you can mention that 3 different people tried the gun and had the same exact results. BTW, give the gun to a good shooter for testing, don't introduce yet another variable to the test.

Good luck...

Johniebegood

Fanatic
Another suggestion would be to mount a GoPro on a tripod at and close to the target. You'll find it interesting to see how you look and hold or respond from the receiving end at Target. Of course don't shoot the GoPro so placement at your comfort zone? And record. Play back zoom in? Just try eliminating the failures one at a time barrel trigger pool ammunition could be a poorly mild barrel. I don't find it frustrating would rather fun to figure out why then you know how to fix. Either way buddy your targets are dead enjoy shooting and have a great day.

Koda

Fanatic
Theres been lots of good suggestions, im reading them all... Thank you.
I still think its the sights, and not me... But am thinking I will give it another range session to work on the ideas here, if anything to validate my own shooting as not the issue.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Latest posts