Point of impact

HB Rider

Active Fanatic
Theres been lots of good suggestions, im reading them all... Thank you.
I still think its the sights, and not me... But am thinking I will give it another range session to work on the ideas here, if anything to validate my own shooting as not the issue.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I'm still curious - what gun, what sights?

Sundance98

Fanatic
*Put a Red Dot on it then. If you don't like the sights....take them completely off! Meanwhile, when I bought my Mauser Werke Interarms PO8 Lugar back in 1979.....they sent a test target....at 25 yards, Three rounds all between 7 and 9 O'clock....all one inch out of the black. I didn't have the guts to try and duplicate that one. Still miss seeing that guy in the gun vault. Meanwhile, was probably just the wrong sight for me.....my Walther P-38 shot lights out and it was from WWII. Miss that one too!

DaveWV

New Fanatic
I have a dilemma and need opinions...

Brand new 1911, first time firing it and the POI is way off for me. I need the brutal truth if its just me or if this should go back to warranty repair.

the smaller 3" target was shot at from 3yds, the larger 8" target was shot at from 7 yards (forgive the two fliers, that was me...). Both standing, slow fire using a dead hold sight picture every shot right over the center bullseye. I'm less concerned about the windage but the low POI is too much for me.

Is it me or are the sights off? I dont have this problem with any other 1911, what would you do if your new one shot this way?

View attachment 5470
I have several 1911's. 1 wants to run low and right. Moving the rear sights a tad put it inline. Adapting to shooting a bit higher will put you on target. UNLESS you can adjust your elevation on your sights.

Fogbank

Fanatic
A suggestion, shoot five rounds with a 1911 you shoot well from a sandbag on a bench, then shoot the new pistol from the same bag position with no other changes. If the new pistol still gives you the same low left results then it is most probably a sight issue. Now use shims under the pistol frame on the sandbag firing five round groups until you achieve POA/POI success. Once you can fire two or three five shoot groups with the shims in place and match the results of your control pistol, you will be able measure the adjustment needed. If you then choose to send to back to the Mfg or use a local GS they will have specifics to work with. Good Luck.

pipewrench

Fanatic
hello idk if this was suggested but maybe have another shooter give it a try good luck enjoy

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
No disrespect to others opinions, however don't push your sights. Your target is similar to 100's of other targets and this has occurred with all different types of guns. As a trainer, I see a lot of different "experienced" shooters" who have had "lots of other handgun classes" and were "the best in their class". They grip very poorly and clench their hand right as the shot goes off pulling the gun to the left (R handed shooters). Because they are anticipating recoil they push forward by breaking their wrist throwing it low. So before you spend the time and effort in moving sights do some simple dry firing and determine if your pistol moves when you pull the trigger. Draw, bring the gun up to eye level and do 25 smooth trigger pulls in a row, perfectly. No movement on the front sight. Secondly I would let someone else shoot your gun. Let it be a range safety officer or another shooter to see where their shots hit. Dry fire, benchrest, different shooter - 90% of problems solved. The other 10% is ammunition, lubrication, gun.
I use my laser grips when dry firing to see how much my gun "moves" when it fires. I can keep the laser on a light switch 20' away when dry firing and I practice that all the time.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I use my laser grips when dry firing to see how much my gun "moves" when it fires. I can keep the laser on a light switch 20' away when dry firing and I practice that all the time.
I used a laser for the first time 2 weeks ago . It was like cheating . On the other hand , it's amazing to see how much movement there really is .

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
This is one of the big benefits of the RMR also. I really enjoy dry fire practice now. The visual feedback from watching the dot move is a huge advantage in practice.

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
so where's the OP on this? Did he bench it? (HIGHLY suggested)....

I had a DW ECO in 9mm that shot too low....it had a .160" height front sight....slapped on a .140" (after finding out many others had a .140" from the factory when they got their guns) and it was spot on.....May be an incorrect front sight....or could be shooter error.....BENCHING it will tell the tale...

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
I used a laser for the first time 2 weeks ago . It was like cheating . On the other hand , it's amazing to see how much movement there really is .
I'm laughing to my self. When I see how much movement I get from a laser or red dot, I actually tense up . I shoot worse with them than a blurry iron sight picture

Latest posts