Patience paid off (or just lucky)

jisuho

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been wanting an inexpensive 22 lr since middle of last year. After talking to folks and gun shops, reading articles and watching videos the internet I was centered on three. the Ruger Wrangler, Taurus TX22, and the Kel Tec P17. I finally decided I wanted to get the Kel Tec P17. Of course I waited too late as the administration changed and a buying frenzy occurred so they were none to be found. Unless you went on Gun Broker and wanted to get in a bidding war and pay a hugely inflated price, $400+ for pistol that had an MSRP of $169. Wasn't going for that.

So I waited and waited and got on "Notify me when in stock" mailing lists on several gun sites. I also went to many local and chain gun stores multiple times to see if they had one. FINALLY, this past Friday I happen to walk into Sportsman's Warehouse at Tanger Outlet just looking for some shotgun ammo and there was a black P17 on the shelf. So I elbowed my way passed the sparse shoppers and hovered over the counter until I got the salesman's attention. Got the P17 in my hands and ran through my drills - check the sight picture, dry fire (with permission), mag releasing, working the slide, etc. It is light weight! The price was spot on the MSRP - $169.00. So I bought it and didn't even ask the wife. Just texted her that I was buying something for myself.

Brought it home and been looking it over good, basic disassembly, a light lube job, cycle some ammo, etc. One odd thing I discovered is that one of the three mags (16 rd capacity) it comes with would not load more than 12 rounds, the other two would. So I disassemble the mag and find there are two followers in the mag, one stacked on the other. Hmmm, human error at the factory? So I remove one follower and all is well.

Hope to get to shoot it next week. Now I am looking for a basic holster.

j

Last edited:

Imaduckin

Well-Known Fanatic
Dont dry fire 22s it will damage firing pin, they are designed differently than centerfire pistols and rifles, congrats on your purchase

jisuho

Well-Known Fanatic
I was looking to see if there are any upgrades out there yet. I only see one, a trigger replacement. meh. I found a basic holster that will fit. But I did notice that some of the websites I looked at had the MSRP at $199.00. If so, I got a good buy at $30 less than the MSRP. Sweet!

j

jisuho

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep rotary, that is one thing I will get. I must say I am a tad concerned even though I haven't fired it yet. I looked down the bore and could hardly notice any rifling. From what I read the 22lr doesn't need deep rifling but I could barely see any. Maybe it is just my tired old eyes. When I shoot it using a bean bag rest and find a 20" spread at 25 yards, I will know something is amiss. Hope not.

I already had this same problem on a Diamondback DB9FS years ago and it had virtually no rifling. The bullets landed all over the paper and several appeared to have tumbled to the target. I don't need that again.

j

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Kel Tecs customer service is pretty decent. If you've got problems they'll usually get you whole without an issue.

now diamondback - no experience. And my one gun that is doing the same thing is circa 1930s so I think warranty is up (and we blew the factory to hell in the 40s, so... no spare parts lol).

jisuho

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, I have read where Keltec is good to work with. Hope I don't need to contact them. To my knowledge the Diamondback DB9FS is no longer made (for good reason). your 1930's gun sounds like it has earned the status of a wall hanger now.

j

jisuho

Well-Known Fanatic
Update. Kel Tec was indeed quick to respond to my email and very helpful. Turns out the rifling is just fine. Even though I haven't fired it yet the bore was dirty. After a good clean and lube the rifling is quite evident. And they recommended no drying firing without protection. Until I get some snap caps I found a temporary measure. I saw few videos where 22 guns can use the plastic sheet rock anchors of correct size. The videos say the correct size #4 - #6 by 7/8th inch long, and they will load into the mag, feed into the chamber, and extract just like real 22lrs. You might have to file down the lip a bit though. I happen to have the right size and they work great.

j

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
You can also use fired .22 cases. I've found the super-cheap wall anchors that come with pictures that use a 3/16 drill, with the edge cut off, fit nicely in a fired case and make a bullet nose, and don't get caught on mag followers as much when feeding.

jisuho

Well-Known Fanatic
This won't be a detailed report, just a general report with my impression. I was able to get my KT P17 out to Twin Ponds range today. Generally it performed very well using plain jane bulk Winchester white box, Remington golden bullet, and a bag of old mix matched left overs from other boxes. Started out shooting from a rest at about 15 yards (forgot to step it off) and found the P17was shooting high and slightly right. After several adjustments I got it as dialed in as good as an old guy with tired eyes could do. I won't be competing in matches but I can put most real close to the ten ring. Definitely can hit any target within 50 yards. Trigger is very light and the reset is short. Sights are easy to acquire and recoil is, well its a 22 lr so, minimal. The range doesn't allow rapid firing so I could not try to run a mag as fast as possible.

After about 150 rounds the P17 began to have some hickups. It began to stop feeding properly once or twice in a mag-full. It did not seat the cartridge in completely. Curiously the next mag went flawless. Signs that either the mag is at fault or gunk build-up in the action. Also had one or two stove pipes or a spent cartridge not fully ejecting and getting stuck in the action. None of the hickups were regular though. Very spotty. And my last three full mags of the day went through perfectly.

Generally I like this gun. I am hoping this first outing will help to break in it and the next shoot will be better. A certainty if I would start using good quality ammo. The P17 is very light and could shoot it for hours without fatigue. When I left the range I went to PSA in Mt. Pleasant to look around. They had a green P17 on the shelf for $249.00. Made me feel great because I got mine for $80 less at Sportsman's Warehouse two weeks ago.

I recommend getting this low cost plinker, if you can find one. It ain't the same quality as a Ruger or a Buckmark or other. But for the price it is a good fun gun.

I also got to shoot my Ruger SP101. It had been awhile but it was nice to shoot the gun I used for my CWP. And I finally got to use up the last of my reloads from nearly 30 yrs ago, yes your read that right, 30 years. It looked like I was shooting black powder rounds. But they all fired without failure.

j

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I keep contemplating the Ruger Wrangler or Heritage Rough Rider but the loading gate (and honestly, single-action vs double) turns me off those guns, although I have shot both and they're OK for plinkers. Any suggestion on a .22 wheelgun that acts like a centerfire?

Imaduckin

Well-Known Fanatic
they have it in a magnum version also, if you can find either in stock

Last edited:

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
I was looking to see if there are any upgrades out there yet. I only see one, a trigger replacement. meh. I found a basic holster that will fit. But I did notice that some of the websites I looked at had the MSRP at $199.00. If so, I got a good buy at $30 less than the MSRP. Sweet!

j
Just found this today. They have some very good youtube videos on the Keltec's as well
https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-p17-accessories.aspx

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm guessing the .22WMR can shoot .22LR as well... that's interesting. Off to gunbroker to see what's around.

Edit: I meant WRF not .22LR. Although WRF is nigh impossible to find... but what isn't?

Last edited:

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Gunbroker has them (Taurus 942) for about $650 - up, off a MSRP of $370. No thanks...

Maybe I should post my Mosin on Armslist again.

Edit: Armslist is now $7/month. Nope.

jisuho

Well-Known Fanatic
Is that $7 only for listing of firearms or do I need to spend $7 to contact someone if I am interested in buying? Or both?

j

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Armslist is *just* like Armslist... LOL.

Looks like you have to have a paid account to contact anyone selling as well. I still have a 'free' account on Armslist but it won't let me do anything - including contacting a seller.

Latest posts