Optics For Rifle in 3 gun

Mark Hudson

Fanatic
I am a total new guy who has only up until this point shot pistol in USPSA, and that actually very little.

I want to get into 3 gun by next year, so I want to work my way up in skills this year with my pistol in local matches and I just purchased a new ar that is supposed to be designed for 3 gun. Of course it comes with no sights what so ever and my limited knowledge is ranking optics I find on a variety of websites at as much or more than I paid for my rifle (daniel defense v11pro)

I will not be purchasing a shot gun this year and already had my pistol, so my gun buying budget for the year is all in the AR. I want to make a solid choice even if that means saving up a few more months.

I was expecting around 1K but am seeing the vortex more in the 1600 range with mounts etc and the 1-6 trijicons more in the 2300-2500 range. I saw the lueapold closer to 1K on optics planet, but have to add mounts etc again.

If you wanted to pair a quality scope with the level of ar I purchased (and really have no idea if thats entry level, mid or what) What advice could the experience shooters offer me on picking my first optics.

I was looking at the 1-6 and do realize the 1-4 are considerably less.

To practice this year my local range has what it calls a short range tactical class were you shoot 8" targets at 100-200-300 yards from all three positions, so I wanted to start with that. I was concerned about shooting at 300 yards with a 4x optic, but again, not like I have tried it, so maybe I am over reacting.

So if my goal is to not have to buy a new optic next year, and to shoot local 3 gun next year, but shoot the match I described above this year.....what would you guys suggest?

Thanks

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Vortex StrikeEagle is the cheapest 1-6x you can get. It's a helluva lot of scope for $300.

The next step up is the new Leupold VX-6 Multigun Firedot BDC for about $990 at optics planet using one of my 10% off subduing codes.

With either scope get a Samson DMR mount at OP for about $150.

Mark Hudson

Fanatic
I just watched your leupold video Jesse. Thanks for doing that. Since you listed its only 259 difference between the Razor and the Leupold, would you say since you have shot both, to go on and get the razor?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I have the razr, I'd bet it's about a 1/2 pounds heavier than the Leopold. If I didn't have the razr, I'd sure be considering that leupold.

Mark Hudson

Fanatic
works for me, and its less expensive, and it doesn't need that additional ring to manipulate the zoom.

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
Love my razor 1-6 HD. It's a super popular 3gun scope for good reasons. If budgets allows you won't be disappointed. It is a little heavy but it's well worth its weight. The if you want a $300-350 scope the strike eagle will be hard to beat @ that price for a 1-6.

Mark Hudson

Fanatic
Got the leupold and the mount and used your code. Thanks for all the advice.

I will be lurking most of the year unless somehow I meet someone who loans me a shotgun.

Actually using a vp9 for a pistol so far from a match pistol but it's paid for ;)

Just need to pick up a few mags and some carriers now I suppose.

Thanks again all for the advice.

jtischauser

Vesteroid said:
works for me, and its less expensive, and it doesn't need that additional ring to manipulate the zoom.
Bear in mind hat I have yet to mount much less shoot the leupold scope but The leupold is lighter then the razor, the leupold has a better reticle IMHO, the razor has brighter Illumination, the leupold is 20% or so cheaper. I anticipate the new leupold to make a big splash in he 3-gun game.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I am using the Bushnell Elite 1-6.5 in a Samson DMR mount. Picked up the scope from Bushnell factory outlet for right at $800.

Mark Hudson

Fanatic
Received a call from optics planet and after purchase, both items are out of stock. Could be two to four weeks to ship according to them.

Not sure I see the value of an inexpensive price if I can't get the product. Not sure if I am going to wait, or change product to the razor and another mount.

jtischauser

My Leupold shipped direct from the manufacturer. It's been in the market for like two weeks. It could be awhile. Of course they told me it would ship in 14 days and it arrived in 7

45recoil

likes to party
I had my firedot switched to the cmr2 reticle last year. I like it better for longer ranges. The half circle grabs the focus of my eye for close range too. Cant tell in pic but it has a dot in the center as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-20-11-43-14-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-20-11-43-14-1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

Mark Hudson

Fanatic
Just thought I would follow up on my experience with optics planet.

I tried getting in touch with them today to swtich my order to the razor. I thought since it was in stock and more tested the extra may be worth it.

I received an email saying they could not change my order because they had shipped....

I questioned that as on Friday they said 2-4 weeks.

I got a shipping email just now.

Odd place, but hey, it shipped :)

jtischauser

Vesteroid said:
Just thought I would follow up on my experience with optics planet.

I tried getting in touch with them today to swtich my order to the razor. I thought since it was in stock and more tested the extra may be worth it.

I received an email saying they could not change my order because they had shipped....

I questioned that as on Friday they said 2-4 weeks.

I got a shipping email just now.

Odd place, but hey, it shipped :)
I'm not intimately familiar with their inner workings but it seems they are sometimes too big to handle everything they do. Their inventory system is not real-time which causes some of those issues. Glad you got your scope!

Latest posts