Opinions on small rifle primers in pistol ammo?

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
The use of sm Rifle is for the harder primer. Less likely to have issues with primers from hot loads. Vel/pressure can always be different so always work your loads up. Again the use of sm rifle is negate primer issues with hot loads.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
What I am gathering from this discussion is that the rifle primers are a viable option and also a good way to consolidate supplies.

This is what I got from this too, thanks for asking the question.

Bubber

Well-Known Fanatic
I've read that the rifle primers are popular for 9mm major, I'm more curious about using rifle primers in my .40 major limited ammo... How far down would you adjust the load for the hotter primers as a start?

As Lance stated there is a 35 to 50 fps more with small rifle over small pistol, and that is just about what Small Magnum Pistol gave me. I was doing some testing with the Small Primers in the 45 (Small Primered 45's.....Yea, everybody hates me) later rdd

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
All the old guys I've queried about loading 38 super/9x21/9 largo to 175pf always stated that they used small rifle. One of my guns won't set them off but others will.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I got some of the Wolf small rifle primers to try out in my 9mm Major ammo. Shot the first 100 of them today with zero problems in my open gun. I figure if the open blaster will torch them off, they will work in the other guns!

Big thanks to everyone that contributed info on this thread!

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Better try them out first Rusty. I'm sure you are aware that those are about the hardest primers out there except for maybe the CCI military primers. It would suck to get into a match and have it turn out otherwise. I suspect that your 2011s will work just fine, my Caspian eats Wolf just fine but others...Not so much.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Better try them out first Rusty. I'm sure you are aware that those are about the hardest primers out there except for maybe the CCI military primers. It would suck to get into a match and have it turn out otherwise. I suspect that your 2011s will work just fine, my Caspian eats Wolf just fine but others...Not so much.

No kidding... I got this first 1000 to test and only loaded 100 for round 1. lol... The open blaster is the most likely of my guns to not like them, but it torched off every sinlge one of the first 100. This is a good start but not proven just yet... I think they will be good to go and they are $10 / 1000 cheaper than the next cheapest primer. Being able to consolidate all of the different small primers I'm currently using into one cheap variant will be good too!

Latest posts