Once fired brass question

dennishoddy

I’ve ran across some brass cases with berdan primers. Typically manufactured in eastern bloc countries.
It is reloadable if one want to mess with it. I think Powder Valley even sells the primers.
I’ll pass, thank you.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
KellyB said:
Thanks! Fantastic info! I couldn’t figure out what needed to happen before throwing in the bucket to make more.

After looking more closely, the first die on the reloader says resizer in the tiniest print. That’s the same spot that de-priming happens. It’s also the same die where I learned about a “Jesus” clamp, see pic. That’s what the guys at the gun shop called it when we figured out what I needed when the reloader broke last week.

I agree on getting the equipment to start picking up/processing my own brass.

Baby steps, learning more everyday!
Doesn't hurt to have a few spare parts when your'e a reloader, cause you never know when that murphy guy will show up like he did this morning. Spent primer being decapped bounced into my brass bin and went inside a piece of brass. When the decapper pin found it, the pin curled like a piece of spaghetti up inside the die, didn't break and was a pain to get out. So for the times when you least expect it a few parts always help.

pre_1533233503__550parts.jpg

dennishoddy

Steve McGinley said:
Doesn't hurt to have a few spare parts when your'e a reloader, cause you never know when that murphy guy will show up like he did this morning. Spent primer being decapped bounced into my brass bin and went inside a piece of brass. When the decapper pin found it, the pin curled like a piece of spaghetti up inside the die, didn't break and was a pain to get out. So for the times when you least expect it a few parts always help.

pre_1533233503__550parts.jpg
I've got a couple sacks of spare parts I got for my LNL like springs, decapping pins, etc. It never fails that something fails on any reloader the night before a match.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
I have always kept spare parts kits for my presses. Actually in most cases I’ve been lucky enough to have had a complete spare of my most heavily used press. And the more sophisticated they have been, the more often I was replacing parts.

The Dillon spare parts kits for the 550 and 650 have covered all of the parts I have broken. When you break or lose the index cam return spring on the 650, ask to buy a second when you have Dillon send you one. They will like just send you the second one free.
It is great to replace the parts and keep going instead of waiting for the replacement.
The 1050 parts kit has not fit all my needs like the others but still recommended.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Primer magazine tips are a necessity for a 1050. The press should come with 50 of them.

Haven't broken anything else on the 1050, but I did snap a few advance rings on the 650.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
technetium-99m said:
Primer magazine tips are a necessity for a 1050. The press should come with 50 of them.
Wow, I haven’t changed one yet with around 50k on one if my 1050s. All small primers.

technetium-99m said:
Haven't broken anything else on the 1050, but I did snap a few advance rings on the 650.
On my 650
2 advance rings, 5-6 advance ring return springs. Case inserter wedge, return spring for the same x2.
Seems like more than that.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
What are you guys calling the advance ring, the ring indexer?. The only thing I've had to replace on my 650 is one case insert slide cam. Threads stripped out of the helicoil and I was always gentle with it too.

cxm

Active Fanatic
TulAmmo's steel cases? Does anybody make them in brass/nickel?
A a lot of brass manufactured outside North America is made with berdan primers.

Some years ago a big load of 9x19mm showed up from the mid east with arabic had stamps. Not only was it extremely hot, it was beredan too.

Lots of older stuff from Europe was berdan too... otherwise qualilty ammo, but not reloadable as a practical matter.

FWIW

Chuck

Latest posts