Once fired brass question

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
I’m still new to reloading & trying to make sure I’m not missing something since I do not pick up & process brass...yet.

Looking at buying some 9 mm once fired brass online. It says it’s “cleaned and sorted but otherwise unprocessed”. Other than needing the old primer removed, what could the brass need?

CBR

Well-Known Fanatic
Further processing would include de-priming and resizing. You will pay more for each phase of processing. Will behoove you to invest in processing equipment and buy unprocessed brass in long term

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
KellyB said:
I’m still new to reloading & trying to make sure I’m not missing something since I do not pick up & process brass...yet.

Looking at buying some 9 mm once fired brass online. It says it’s “cleaned and sorted but otherwise unprocessed”. Other than needing the old primer removed, what could the brass need?
It just means it's not sized & deprimed yet. Just throw it in the hopper & start cranking. Your 650 will do everything that needs to be done.

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks! Fantastic info! I couldn’t figure out what needed to happen before throwing in the bucket to make more.

After looking more closely, the first die on the reloader says resizer in the tiniest print. That’s the same spot that de-priming happens. It’s also the same die where I learned about a “Jesus” clamp, see pic. That’s what the guys at the gun shop called it when we figured out what I needed when the reloader broke last week.

I agree on getting the equipment to start picking up/processing my own brass.

Baby steps, learning more everyday!
9e988dd96117565890717dd8edabaa3b.jpg

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Rick Howell said:
Check out Ace hardware or Hone Depot and get some 1/4” stainless e-clip retaining rings.

591ed216bd3baefc70d8495bd3f61309.png
Auto parts store as well

yury

Well-Known Fanatic
KellyB said:
... where I learned about a “Jesus” clamp... That’s what the guys at the gun shop called it when we figured out what I needed when the reloader broke last week.
It looks like as a "Mickey Mouse" clamp based on the above picture. What do people do to transfigure a Mickey?

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
yury said:
It looks like as a "Mickey Mouse" clamp based on the above picture. What do people do to transfigure a Mickey?
I was told it was called a Jesus clip because when it snaps off either by breakage or in the process of trying to put it on, it is “Oh Jesus where did that clip fly off too.” Lol

yury

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
It just means it's not sized & deprimed yet. Just throw it in the hopper & start cranking.
I assume brass cleaning/sorting people will not CG or check brass for the defects. Is there a quick way to do something on my end to weed out bad cases before throwing them into the hopper? Asking kids to visually inspect each case does not work. I'm trying to reduce amount of thrown away powder and primers after CG stage.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
yury said:
I assume brass cleaning/sorting people will not CG or check brass for the defects. Is there a quick way to do something on my end to weed out bad cases before throwing them into the hopper? Asking kids to visually inspect each case does not work. I'm trying to reduce amount of thrown away powder and primers after CG stage.
It just means it's not sized & deprimed yet. Just throw it in the hopper & start cranking.

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
Never heard of berdan primer brass.
Looked it up & will watch for it.
I learn something everyday.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
KellyB said:
Never heard of berdan primer brass.
Looked it up & will watch for it.
I learn something everyday.
Berdan primed cases are usually used with surplus steel case ammo like wolf

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I usually lay it out on a towel and run my media separator magnet over it before I dump it in the case feeder. Only takes a few seconds and will weed out those steel cases.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts