Oklahoma Self Defense Act - 2019

Sundance

Active Fanatic
Texas: can use deadly force to stop a robbery in progress, criminal trespassing (i.e. your front or back yard), property being stolen from your neighbor. However, it is not protected by the castle law, therefore while you are most likely not a subject for criminal legal action, you may still be sued in a civil court. Oklahoma - cannot do any of he above.

The stopping of a robbery is my understanding too. That in Oklahoma you can only defend yourself or family members. There are some members in here that think otherwise. I have yet to see where it's stated that you can defend another individual.

Jared LaVarnway

Well-Known Fanatic
Sandy said:
I process these apps for citizens in Logan County, & it is very common for people to bring in a copy of their training certificate. Page 4 of the application states to include the original training certificate in your packet. Also, page 2 asks that you print your first & last name as well as SS# on the back of your photos before attaching them to the application. Thank you! :)

This is my favorite part of my job! I get to meet alot of nice people from young to older, with different backgrounds & all sorts of interesting stories (especially the older people).
You handled my paper work just as soon as I turned 21! Thank you so much!

First time in that jail too... I guess my tax dollars did some decent work.

Peacemaker

New Fanatic
Sundance said:
The stopping of a robbery is my understanding too. That in Oklahoma you can only defend yourself or family members. There are some members in here that think otherwise. I have yet to see where it's stated that you can defend another individual.
The class teaches you that you can only defend yourself and family without any reprisal of law. That is even in the case of where maybe they did something to instigate the conflict to some degree, I believe. Now, the course teaches if you defend someone else, legally, you step into the shoes of the person you are defending so there is a lesser shield from prosecution. So say if you see someone pull a gun on a guy and you shoot the guy with the gun and you find out afterward that the guy you shot was not the instigator but only reacting to a real threat from the other individual you were not privy to, then you will be treated just as if you are the person whom you defended. So, if the one you defended was a messed up meth user in need of a fix and was about to mug the guy you shot but you didn't know, you have just become the meth enraded mugger from a legal standpoint.....I am not an expert on the law but that is the way I understand it and it is the way I would conduct myself in any scenario. The problem around this is many times you don't know what happened leading up to a dangerous conflict so it is best to stay out of it unless you are certain you are doing the right thing.

So, if I was on a walk with a friend who is not a relative and some random mugger just walked up and pulls a knife on my friend, you darned right I am going to defend my friend's life and the district attorney is probably going to side with me.

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
ChrisC said:
Find that you can only defend family members in statue and I'll give you a box of 9mm ammo.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Make it a box of 22.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
Show me the statue. I know what the lesson plan says but I have yet to see it in title 21.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
ChrisC said:
Show me the statue. I know what the lesson plan says but I have yet to see it in title 21.

There isn't one. The part about only defending yourself, family or employees is not true. Yes, some still teach that but its not accurate

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
The Self Defense Act was revised ... again. Please download this copy (and added to the original thread and familiarize yourself with the changes.

One of significance is carrying in a business that has signs prohibiting carry (not places that are statutorily off limits)

TITLE 21 § 1290.22 BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS

D. The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).

E. A person, corporation, place of worship or any other business entity that does or does not prohibit any individual except a convicted felon from carrying a loaded or unloaded, concealed or unconcealed weapon on property that the person, corporation, place of worship or other business entity owns, or has legal control of, is immune from any liability arising from that decision. Except for acts of gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct, an employer who does or does not prohibit their employees from carrying a concealed or unconcealed weapon is immune from any liability arising from that decision. The provision of this subsection shall not apply to claims pursuant to the Workers’ Compensation Code.

View attachment 6570

Attachments

• SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2013.pdf
    422 KB · Views: 127

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Burk Cornelius said:
D. The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).
I'm glad that finally got cleared up.

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
Are there any "refresher" courses that can be taken by those that have had their carry permits for many years? I think it would be a good idea for those that may not have been able to keep up with all of the changes that have been made. I know you can download and read the new book anytime, but for some, it's better to be able to have someone put it in plain language.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
stan686 said:
Are there any "refresher" courses that can be taken by those that have had their carry permits for many years? I think it would be a good idea for those that may not have been able to keep up with all of the changes that have been made. I know you can download and read the new book anytime, but for some, it's better to be able to have someone put it in plain language.
A refresher course would be an excellent idea. I wonder if it would have to be taught by an SDA instructor? Maybe we could get Jamie Meyer to teach one without the shooting part?

JAMIE?