OKCGC Membership

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
New membership chairman. Bill Norfleet stepped down. Be patient. It's a thanksless job that no one wants.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
brandt9913 said:
New membership chairman. Bill Norfleet stepped down. Be patient. It's a thanksless job that no one wants.
What's it entail? I like cashing checks!

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
What's it entail? I like cashing checks!
Ok. Jesse is in charge. Mail out 2200 invoices and keep track of 1000 work days. And don't **** up. People get pissy when you lose their checks.

I'm only kidding. But it is definitely not a job i would ever want.

jtischauser

brandt9913 said:
Ok. Jesse is in charge. Mail out 2200 invoices and keep track of 1000 work days. And don't **** up. People get pissy when you lose their checks.

I'm only kidding. But it is definitely not a job i would ever want.
Yikes! Sounds like the club needs an online billing option with automatic withdrawals and such.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Yikes! Sounds like the club needs an online billing option with automatic withdrawals and such.
That has been discussed and explored. If you come up with one, please let me know. The one very large problem with that is how to handle the workday credit. They have not been able to find a way to deal with the workday credit using a 3rd party system. Many on the board of directors do not want to see the workday credit go away. It would mean even fewer people helping with range maintenance if there is no incentive to help out. I have looked at a couple different 3rd party companies, but come back to the same problem every time.

TerryKendell

Well-Known Fanatic
My check was cashed on 01-04-16

OKCGC holds the checks until 01-01-XX
(Cash Basis Accounting vs Accrual Basis Accounting)

BE NICE (The Treasurer is a VERY GOOD GUY and USPSA Shooter)

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
It's 2016 and we still have to waste club money by sending out printed off invoices via USPS and are expected to send a check back via USPS? Many efficiencies can be gained by a post 1974 way of doing the billing. How about this idea. You don't do a workday, you don't get to renew your membership..

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
brandt9913 said:
That has been discussed and explored. If you come up with one, please let me know. The one very large problem with that is how to handle the workday credit. They have not been able to find a way to deal with the workday credit using a 3rd party system. Many on the board of directors do not want to see the workday credit go away. It would mean even fewer people helping with range maintenance if there is no incentive to help out. I have looked at a couple different 3rd party companies, but come back to the same problem every time.

mike_pinto said:
It's 2016 and we still have to waste club money by sending out printed off invoices via USPS and are expected to send a check back via USPS? Many efficiencies can be gained by a post 1974 way of doing the billing. How about this idea. You don't do a workday, you don't get to renew your membership..
I hate to chime in because responses can be mistaken as volunteering (I'm not) but since Pinto already opened the door, I will.

I can't imagine any software package that doesn't allow online payments and also address the work day credit issue (i.e. promo code). I'm the Director for the Oklahoma Society of Land Surveyors www.osls.org and I actually use one that does both. My life was exponentially improved when we started doing online membership renewals

Phillip, do you know what software they have looked at in the past?

jtischauser

mike_pinto said:
Are the work days needed or is it just a way of giving cheap SOBs discounts? Seems like all of the parts of the club I use never ask for work day volunteers while other sections email me regularly askin for help. If cheap labor is needed to keep the club going then I'm all for work day = renewal. If it's jet to get a discount then I'm all for paying more so I don't need to work cause I'm lazy.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
To address Pinto first. Less than half the members even bother with doing a workday. They won't want to cut the membership in half.

Not sure about software they looked at in the past. I looked at a few different companies after this was brought up a couple months ago. What software does your Surveyor group use? The problem with a promo code is that once someone gets it, it will quickly spread to many others that never did a workday.

jtischauser

I gotta say huge thanks to Phil for getting on the BOD. It's awesome to finally get some insight into the behind the scenes at the club. Let us know if/when any other spots open up. I wouldn't mind getting in on some of that action.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Well that was a good **** storm I started.

The accounting answer is good, they can hold it until they need to deposit it, I was just making sure mine didn't get lost or something.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Nah GT. Just good discussion.

I think the true holdup in changing over to an online payment system was the previous membership chairman. Bill Norfleet was a good guy and did a lot for the club, but he could also be a little grumpy and set in his ways sometimes. Now that he has stepped down and someone new is in place, I'm sure a lot more will be done to find a solution to change to an online system by the time renewal invoices are supposed to go out.

Also, can someone please tell me the invoice amount and OKC Gun club address I need to send my renewal to? I think it was thrown out with some junk mail last month and I need to get it paid.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
brandt9913 said:
What software does your Surveyor group use? The problem with a promo code is that once someone gets it, it will quickly spread to many others that never did a workday.
We use www.yourmembership.com It works well for any member based organization. It isn't cheap and it might do way more than OKCGC needs. I use it for my website, membership list, calendar, online credit card processing, forum and newsletters. It is kind of a one-stop-shop for associations.

Latest posts