Off set Irons seem a little well..... Off?

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been tossing up the idea of off set irons on my AR. Allowing myself to put a scope permanently mounted to my top rail and the the Irons off set. I've seen them in magazines and in 3 gun videos and they look cool and the concept makes a lot of sense. Then my friend who is into guns just like I am bit the bullet first with his tax return. No matter how he tried to install the front site it would not line up with the axis of the bore of the barrel. So honestly his off set Irons are a little off. He can get the irons sited in for one distance but anything closer or father and its off do to the angle of the front site. Is this common? Is there a way to fix this and how do you match up the right set of irons to your hand guard to prevent this?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have been tossing up the idea of off set irons on my AR. Allowing myself to put a scope permanently mounted to my top rail and the the Irons off set. I've seen them in magazines and in 3 gun videos and they look cool and the concept makes a lot of sense. Then my friend who is into guns just like I am bit the bullet first with his tax return. No matter how he tried to install the front site it would not line up with the axis of the bore of the barrel. So honestly his off set Irons are a little off. He can get the irons sited in for one distance but anything closer or father and its off do to the angle of the front site. Is this common? Is there a way to fix this and how do you match up the right set of irons to your hand guard to prevent this?

My Dueck Defense sights did that. I had to lossen the handguard and wiggle it the diection I needed then tighten it back up and rezero the offsets.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
It's my understanding that all irons do this, well actually any sight, optic or whatever. I mean say you sight it in for 25 yards. At 100 yards it's going to be off. So you sight it in at 100 yards, at 25 yards it's going to be off. With offset irons I'd say most shots are going to be what... 5 yards to 25 yards? So if it were me, I'd sight it in for 15 yards and still be close enough for the rest.

Is this what he's talking about or is my line of thinking screwed?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
It's my understanding that all irons do this, well actually any sight, optic or whatever. I mean say you sight it in for 25 yards. At 100 yards it's going to be off. So you sight it in at 100 yards, at 25 yards it's going to be off. With offset irons I'd say most shots are going to be what... 5 yards to 25 yards? So if it were me, I'd sight it in for 15 yards and still be close enough for the rest.

Is this what he's talking about or is my line of thinking screwed?

I see what your saying. My post was in reference to having trouble getting my offsets to zero at 20-25 yards. I had the rear sight cranked all the way to the left and I was still off a few inches until I moved the FF tube over.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Ya my BUIS on one of my TRX's was like that. The rail wasn't on straight. I learned to use a carry handle and bridge it between the upper receiver and top rail of the handguard to get them lined up, then tighten down the locking screws.

Latest posts