NRA Firearms Insurance

shootist

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone happen to have any real life (claims) experience with the firearms insurance endorsed by the NRA. I am considering purchasing, but research on the internet didn't turn up much either positive or negative endorsements from customers. Thanks for any feedback!

dennishoddy

I only have the insurance that comes with membership.
I had my gun stash wiped out a couple of years ago by a meth head. I kept dragging out putting in for a claim, thinking the sherriffs dept might get them back. Finally called and found out that I was 1 day over the period they give you to put in a claim.
They are very strict about that deadline. Thats my experience.

Chris_Andersen

Certified
I have a policy with them but have thankfully never had a claim. I can tell you their rates are better than anything I could find. And the purchase process is super easy and they cover based on the dollar amount you declare without serial numbers or anything. I would be very curious to hear about anyone's claims experience as well.

Ender

Fanatic
If you don't have additional insurance, be sure you know your homeowners limits. It's generally $2k, but varies by insurer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
http://www.collectinsure.com/
I did some reading and plan on checking with these guys. What I read was 20k in coverage for $120 a year as long as it's in at least a 300lb safe

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
My father-in-law had the standard coverage that came with membership when $8,000 of Gina were stolen earlier this year. They paid fast and with little questions asked. We both bumped up our policies to fully cover everything in the safe. Like Chris said its the cheapest thing out there and based in my first hand knowledge it's legit.

dennishoddy

If you don't have additional insurance, be sure you know your homeowners limits. It's generally $2k, but varies by insurer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Very good information!
Welcome to the Forum :D
My home owner insurance was 5K, so it covered some that got stolen, but not all.
I totally endorse getting supplemental insurance.

Make sure to get those pics and serial numbers somewhere other than your home in case of an event like a tornado when everything goes away.

RyanReed

Semi-Pro
My dad used the NRA insurance when a pistol was stolen from his truck. It was hassle free and didn't take very long to pay.

I tried to add a rider on to my current homeowners but It was very high. I came across these guys: http://www.collectinsure.com/
I have around $35K and it's less than $200 a year. No SN reporting required unless an individual item is valued more than $5K. Covers loss or theft and even covers loss when shipping.

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
My dad used the NRA insurance when a pistol was stolen from his truck. It was hassle free and didn't take very long to pay.

I tried to add a rider on to my current homeowners but It was very high. I came across these guys: http://www.collectinsure.com/
I have around $35K and it's less than $200 a year. No SN reporting required unless an individual item is valued more than $5K. Covers loss or theft and even covers loss when shipping.

Wow they are pretty reasonable. I can get $12,500 coverage for $85 a year with Full Burglary and Theft coverage. I may have to get that.

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Personally I'm sick and tired of the NRA mailers I get. I tacked a rider onto my homeowners for a few bucks and called it good. As mentioned above check your policy, mine was a 2k cap.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
What does the NRA policy cover? I haven't looked into it very much but my homeowners policy rider was $200 for 25k. I went that route because it basically covers everything in the safe, including non-firearm stuff. I could be wrong but if a tornado just made the safe disappear NRA might not cover it? How about fire?

jtischauser

I just sent in an application with these guys. Sounds too good to be true. Its about $200 cheaper for 50,000 in coverage than the NRA stuff.

kaiserb

Well-Known Fanatic
Personally I'm sick and tired of the NRA mailers I get. I tacked a rider onto my homeowners for a few bucks and called it good. As mentioned above check your policy, mine was a 2k cap.

I tried this 2 years ago, the agent sold me a rider, added it on to the home owner's policy etc. When I received all the paperwork, way down in the fine print the rider covers the additional cost of lost (fire, flood, earthquake etc) property but the loss by theft limits remained in force from the homeowners policy.

Long story short if the guns burned they were covered if they were stolen they were only covered up to the $2500 per loss limit in the homeowners policy. Thus the rider did nothing for loss by theft.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I tried this 2 years ago, the agent sold me a rider, added it on to the home owner's policy etc. When I received all the paperwork, way down in the fine print the rider covers the additional cost of lost (fire, flood, earthquake etc) property but the loss by theft limits remained in force from the homeowners policy.

Long story short if the guns burned they were covered if they were stolen they were only covered up to the $2500 per loss limit in the homeowners policy. Thus the rider did nothing for loss by theft.
Wow, nice to know.
It definately pays to read the fine print.

RyanReed

Semi-Pro
I just sent in an application with these guys. Sounds too good to be true. Its about $200 cheaper for 50,000 in coverage than the NRA stuff.

I thought the same thing. Been with them for 4 years and probabally referred a half dozen local shooters and countless on the Internet. I need to ask for a commission!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I thought the same thing. Been with them for 4 years and probabally referred a half dozen local shooters and countless on the Internet. I need to ask for a commission!
Thanks for the tip, I'm definately going to check them out.
I didn't realize that the homeowner's riders possibly excludes theft.

jtischauser

Probably need to file a claim and see how it goes. If its not good your gonna have a bunch of pissed off guys with guns looking for you eventually.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
I only have the insurance that comes with membership.
I had my gun stash wiped out a couple of years ago by a meth head. I kept dragging out putting in for a claim, thinking the sherriffs dept might get them back. Finally called and found out that I was 1 day over the period they give you to put in a claim.
They are very strict about that deadline. Thats my experience.

Man, what a nightmare.... Loosing them in a fire or something like that is one thing, but having them all stolen and out wandering the streets would freak me out. I'd be double pissed if that meth head came back and robbed me at gunpoint with my own gun.

dennishoddy

Man, what a nightmare.... Loosing them in a fire or something like that is one thing, but having them all stolen and out wandering the streets would freak me out. I'd be double pissed if that meth head came back and robbed me at gunpoint with my own gun.
It will be about 10 more years before the meth head gets out of Big Mac.
Rolling meth lab, 4th offense, Intent to distrubute, 4th offense- Within 1000 yds of a school or playground, Oilfield equipment theft, 2nd offense, Maiming another person, and Driving under the influence of drugs, 2nd offense, domestic child abuse.
Never could pin down the gun theft charges, although he left his calling card. I think they had him down for enough they knew he would be put away for a long time. 16 years on good behavior.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
It will be about 10 more years before the meth head gets out of Big Mac.
Rolling meth lab, 4th offense, Intent to distrubute, 4th offense- Within 1000 yds of a school or playground, Oilfield equipment theft, 2nd offense, Maiming another person, and Driving under the influence of drugs, 2nd offense, domestic child abuse.
Never could pin down the gun theft charges, although he left his calling card. I think they had him down for enough they knew he would be put away for a long time. 16 years on good behavior.

That's an awful lot of gang rapes in the showers and savage beatings in the library.

Latest posts