Now I need a scope...

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
So, is it difficult to transition to running around and shooting things while peering through a scope? Since they're both large(ish) and black, it seems like they would be a fair obstacle to vision.

Chris_Andersen

Certified
So, is it difficult to transition to running around and shooting things while peering through a scope? Since they're both large(ish) and black, it seems like they would be a fair obstacle to vision.

A holographic red dot definately offers a very good field of view, but a good scope with a true one power with good eye relief and field of view is very easy to shoot with. I run an Accupoint (TR24), and am running around with both eyes open all the time. I barely notice anything but that little green dot in the middle of the crosshair.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes Chambers we will see this weekend. I will be shooting Irons, and Tac scope as well, maybe the dot will win, maybe not, and BTW I am shooting irons at night as well, so I am sure you've got me now. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to mount a carbide mining lamp on my rifle and I am set! KurtM :lol:

Chambers

actual GM
Now all I have to do is to figure out how to mount a carbide mining lamp on my rifle and I am set! KurtM :lol:

So that's how they did it in Korea. :D I'll throw some 100 MPH tape in the range bag for you!

Man I can't wait!! If this isn't the longest work week ever...

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Ahh... you are a Prince sir! But I have found the heat from the burning carbide catches the tape on fire so I am working on the bailing wire angle.

Korea??? Didn't they have batteries and stuff then?? Sounds like some kind of new fad to me. KurtM :lol: :D

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I just finished putting a set of dedicated irons on a 16" carbine.

After shooting them I'm starting to think I don't need anything but a front post and the little hole on the rear sight.

Making steel ring at 300 with irons is pretty freaking cool I must admit, as is shooting on the move with targets at 25+.

If I can shake loose to play with you guys on the 20th I think I'm going to shoot this little thing.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
So, I ended up ordering a Vortex HS 1-4X24 via the Plan B Outfitters group buy, but I haven't picked out any rings. I like the design of the Burris Signature rings, what with the inserts for correcting POI/POA errors and the fact that they won't mar the finish, but I don't want to end up with crap that won't hold zero: I don't know how reputable they are, and I'll only be 3-Gunning. I also don't have a lapping kit for scope rings, and am not sure how necessary that would be, in case I just buy an all-metal mount(s). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
So, I ended up ordering a Vortex HS 1-4X24 via the Plan B Outfitters group buy, but I haven't picked out any rings. I like the design of the Burris Signature rings, what with the inserts for correcting POI/POA errors and the fact that they won't mar the finish, but I don't want to end up with crap that won't hold zero: I don't know how reputable they are, and I'll only be 3-Gunning. I also don't have a lapping kit for scope rings, and am not sure how necessary that would be, in case I just buy an all-metal mount(s). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Burris signature zee rings are awesome. I have never had a problem with them holding zero either. I had to use the inserts so I could shoot to 1,000 yds. You should need a lapping kit with the zee rings since the plastic inserts will adjust as you are tightening the rings on the scope.

helps when you do a deep cleaning, and it gives you a forward position of the scope so you can get a good cheek mount.
thats the biggest thing. There is no disadvantage as far as the mount not being rock solid when on the gun.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I just finished putting a set of dedicated irons on a 16" carbine.

After shooting them I'm starting to think I don't need anything but a front post and the little hole on the rear sight.

Making steel ring at 300 with irons is pretty freaking cool I must admit, as is shooting on the move with targets at 25+.

If I can shake loose to play with you guys on the 20th I think I'm going to shoot this little thing.

That little post up front and little A1 or A2 flippy thing has rung a lot of steel (and made a real mess out of some other stuff) for years now.

Old is new...new is old.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
LaRue SPR-E with the VZ attachment instead of the QD levers is the way to go. It's less expensive but has reference marks so you can get it tightened the same if you do ever decide to take it off to minimize poi shift. And if you ever bend the mount, they replace it for free. They might ask how the hell you bent it, but they'll replace it. Don't ask me how I know.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
How do you go about getting the scope lined up perpendicular to the bore?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

This is how I mount a scope.

put rifle in vise.
level rifle via some type of level on upper flattop
put scope in mount
level scope via some type of level on a flat part of scope, usually scope turret or dial
look through scope to visually see crosshairs are level
tighten down scope rings while maintaining levelnessess.

Not necessary as eye balling it is usually good enough, but to really be 'operator', might as well do it right the first time if possible.

Latest posts