Now I need a scope...

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
It seems like 3Gun competitors use red dot type optics, yet some videos and pictures show short-range riflescopes in use. What type of optic is most functional for this endeavor, for a newb. I apparently should get one, but I'm not sure what is most reasonable. I feel like I'd like a holographic unit with a 1 MOA dot, but then I wonder what the benefit is buying something like a 1-4X illuminated scope. I realize this is covered in many a forum, and I perused Enos pages a bit, but this site's awesomeness is partly it's membership.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been eyeing this one. http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-4x24-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44570.aspx

Spiff

Semi-Pro
You could either get a Millett DMS-1 and a nice mount or an EoTech in that range. Depends on whether you want to shoot against guys with irons/red dots, or low power variables. What are you more comfortable with?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I'm not sure. That's why I started this thread. It looks like a majority of recommendations are for 1-4X scopes, but I don't know what ranges to expect to be shooting. Isn't the max at OKCGC 250 yards? I feel like I'd rather get a dot sight. Are you suggesting that if I get a red dot that I'd be competing against other with red dots, and not those with scopes?

Chambers

actual GM
Red dots and irons are in the same division. Magnified optics are in the same division.

Max range 300 here and at Old Fort Gun Club AND at Double Tap at the 5th weekend matches. A 10" plate at 300 isn't too tough with either choice and if you can see the target clearly, the magnification is a null point. Hell, Mike P. promises no target smaller than 4 MOA, which is 12" at 300 yards.

Don't think too much about it. Get whatever you like and just figure out your trajectory. Can't go wrong with a good 1-4 or an Eotech. I use both in different divisions. Primary plan on shooting the 1x though. It's pretty quick. If you do opt for a scope just don't skimp on the mount (Larue, ADM, Bobro, etc.).

I'm shooting a cheaper Weaver 1.5-4.5x and will swap it for a Trijicon TR24G after the TX State 2-gun match this weekend. The Trijis are very nice!!

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Max for the action pistol/3 gun area is 300 yards. The way things are moving (and the way OKC is set up) is that with a red dot you'll be shooting against other red dots and irons. With a scope you'll be shooting against scopes.

You could save some dough and just get a set of irons. They're every bit as fast as a red dot, better for some things, they just take more practice and a little more learning.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Well, this is interesting news. I got a YHM rear sight last week, and shot very well with it, despite my adrenalin raging due to not having had range time since December. Maybe I should start with iron sights. Are the stages different for irons/dots versus scopes? I'd really like to max out the amount of fun I can have.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
One thing I've heard people cry about is orange poppers and red dots or eotechs. Seems the red reticle is difficult to pickup against the orange target. TR24G FTMFW!

Chambers

actual GM
One thing I've heard people cry about is orange poppers and red dots or eotechs. Seems the red reticle is difficult to pickup against the orange target. TR24G FTMFW!

You move the dot from off the target where you can see it to on the target where you can't and pull the trigger. Big deal.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Then why does everybody complain and make such a big deal about it at the matches? Guess not everybody is as smart as you :)

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
at OKCGC we shoot out to 300 for 3gun.
If you go with a scope 1-4x is the popular choice.
I use a Nikon m-223 which is non illuminated. Chris Anderson uses a Trijicon tr24 (illuminated). Jesse uses a 1-6x Swarovski (illuminated). There are alot of shooters that use non magnified dots or holo sights & irons as well.

Latest posts