Now I need a scope...

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Put the mount on gun, scope in mount loosley. Take a feeler gauge and kind of wedge it between the top of the mount and the bottom of the scope (this has been flat on every scope I've ever had) thus making the bottom of the scope and top of the mount parallel. Tighten up your scope in the mount and go drink beer.

Also works on top of receiver.

Make sure you include the beer.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Put the mount on gun, scope in mount loosley. Take a feeler gauge and kind of wedge it between the top of the mount and the bottom of the scope (this has been flat on every scope I've ever had) thus making the bottom of the scope and top of the mount parallel. Tighten up your scope in the mount and go drink beer.

Also works on top of receiver.

Make sure you include the beer.

Do we go into the redneck sight in process? Little different for an AR, but with a bolt gun I remove the bolt and align bore with 100 yd target looking through the barrel. With bore lined up and the rifle on sandbags, I adjust scope to same zero as bore. This will get you on paper and save cash for a bore sighter.

I'm guessing same process will work for a upper on a bipod in sandbags.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Do we go into the redneck sight in process? Little different for an AR, but with a bolt gun I remove the bolt and align bore with 100 yd target looking through the barrel. With bore lined up and the rifle on sandbags, I adjust scope to same zero as bore. This will get you on paper and save cash for a bore sighter.

I'm guessing same process will work for a upper on a bipod in sandbags.

My dad showed me that trick in the early 70's....and I've never owned a bore-sighter.

Lever guns (yea... never a Winchester but a few Marlins)... not so easy to get the bolt out... but if you start out at 25 yards... about 3 shots gets you on paper. A big sheet of cardboard helps.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I ended up getting the LaRue SPR-E with the VFZ mount. Merry Xmas to me. Now if I can get Plan B to respond about where my scope is at, or when it will get here, I'll be in business. Carbine business.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Got the scope. I wasn't able to confidently mount it with the feeler gauge idea, because the flat on the Vortex Viper is offset and one side is hugely radiused, causing a deal of freeplay. I only have one feeler gauge, but two in tandem may have made that route possible. Since my handguard has the top rail in perfect alignment with the flat top of my AR, I put a level on that and a level on the top turret cap. Worked great. The LaRue and Viper don't work with the YHM BUIS, which is super shitty, since the YHM BUIS are not cheap. Oh well. I guess I'll just be another guy with no BUIS.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I don't have a scope in front if me so this flat spot you speak of is boggling my mind. Can somebody post a picture of this process?

I usually Stand in front of a mirror, put a level on my head, look through the scope, see myself in the mirror, oh never mind...

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Look at the part of the tube where your turrets are. On the bottom there may be a flat, which if made parallel to your mount will get your reticule close to level with the rifle.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Now that this is done and I've gotten to play, I feel obligated to mention how much heavier the rifle feels with a base and scope on it. It's not much weight on it's own, but added to the rifle the overall feel of the weight increase is significant.

Latest posts