Nighthawk massaged Colt

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
For that price it would not be what I would be willing to spend on it, those dollars would if I was to spend them on another 1911 would go toward a Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown or STI in like new used condition, they are out there if you look. Just my thoughts there.

Last edited:

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
I was thinking. Why not a Wilson since I have 2 STIs already. But after checking a Wilson CQB. This Colt Hawk is still about a grand cheaper. But thanks for your input. Appreciate it.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought my CQB Wilson about 1999 for $1750 new I saw 1 similar last month for $2250 like new and the warranty for life is on the pistol not original owner, I said like new USED condition, just my views there.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
For that price it would not be what I would be willing to spend on it, those dollars would if I was to spend them on another 1911 would go toward a Les Beyer, Wilson, Ed Brown or STI in like new used condition, they are out there if you look. Just my thoughts there.

My thoughts were that this is what you would pay to buy a nice series 70 Colt and have that work done by a reputable smith.

a couple hundred $$$ either way is not a make or break for what I (you) want.

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
True. But to me when its done by Nighthawk or Chambers Custom or Jason Burton it just raises that bar to an elite level I think.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
NHC received my colt 1911C for MY version of the colt/hawk. I ommited some , imho, options and when complete with black nitride finish will be under cost of a new Baer. Including my cost on the colt.
It'll be a great shooter I'm confident of that. And with the NHC work should hold value pretty well.
I'll gladly post pics when I get back in my hands. I have no ETA.
Sorry for the derail. Either way, colt/hawk or used Baer or CQB, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
NHC received my colt 1911C for MY version of the colt/hawk. I ommited some , imho, options and when complete with black nitride finish will be under cost of a new Baer. Including my cost on the colt.
It'll be a great shooter I'm confident of that. And with the NHC work should hold value pretty well.
I'll gladly post pics when I get back in my hands. I have no ETA.
Sorry for the derail. Either way, colt/hawk or used Baer or CQB, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Looking foward to seeing pics of that beauty.

I called NH this morning. And asked them about getting one with the nitride finish and ambi safety. I'm curious about what options did you omit? I definitely want the nitride finish. It will look gorgeous . The only thing I'm hesitating about is the slide to frame tightness. I hope its pretty tight from the factory and the new bushing makes up for any production looseness. Congratulations on yours.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I had already purchased a colt 1911 C last fall. THEN became aware of NHC doing the colt/hawk. Tried to resist but so many threads on them, I got weak.
I used same sight pkg, black nitride finish, NHC trigger, colt ignition and small parts. I did fit a novak single side thumb safety I had. Omitted French border, barrel bushing, and exchanged vertical aberrations for 25lpi checkering. Like I mentioned, my version of the colthawk.
Truthfully had I known about NHC version I would've just went that way. But they've been gracious in accepting mine for custom work.
My slide / frame / barrel fitment was acceptable. Much better on the 1911C than on my repro series70.
I'm excited about it. And I know the NHC version will be amazing.

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
I had already purchased a colt 1911 C last fall. THEN became aware of NHC doing the colt/hawk. Tried to resist but so many threads on them, I got weak.
I used same sight pkg, black nitride finish, NHC trigger, colt ignition and small parts. I did fit a novak single side thumb safety I had. Omitted French border, barrel bushing, and exchanged vertical aberrations for 25lpi checkering. Like I mentioned, my version of the colthawk.
Truthfully had I known about NHC version I would've just went that way. But they've been gracious in accepting mine for custom work.
My slide / frame / barrel fitment was acceptable. Much better on the 1911C than on my repro series70.
I'm excited about it. And I know the NHC version will be amazing.
Sounds like one of those keepers 1911s. Like the rare Pachmyer 1911s. Hope you get it soon.

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
Spoke to the guy at Nighthawk today. Won't checker the front strap . Just the black nitride and ambi safety.

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
They won't even checker the front strap for me. A different caliber? Not happening, it would be nice in 38S.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Wonder why NHC will not checker a front strap ?
I had my gunsmith do one of my 1911's & it was an expensive option, (to me)
but I understand hand checkering is a time consuming process, not suprising it's costly to have done.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Hhmm. NHC said they'd checker my front strap, if it's thick enough. Imma be disappointed if it's not checkered. I think other options are available. Will keep you posted