Nighthawk Custom drop in trigger

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
No. There's no such thing as a drop in trigger for 1911s. They're marketing gigs.

If you need trigger work, I'd suggest looking for a good 1911 smith. That way, you probably only need one trigger job.

rglassma

Fanatic
Yeah Boatdoc, I was wondering about that myself. I have a couple of 1911s that I would like to have lighter. One has a little creep. I saw that and said, wow!! That's a bit pricey.. Considering I just paid 22.00 for mags from Nighthawk. Are the parts made out of gold?

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah Boatdoc, I was wondering about that myself. I have a couple of 1911s that I would like to have lighter. One has a little creep. I saw that and said, wow!! That's a bit pricey.. Considering I just paid 22.00 for mags from Nighthawk. Are the parts made out of gold?
I was a bit put off by the price, thus the thread. Not buying a 300 trigger unless there is a significant improvement over what I already have

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
Compare it to a full trigger job from a known smith.

The real smiths are known nationally, and with modern shipping there's no reason to go with Skeeter's Excellent Bait Shop & Gunsmithing.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic

The real smiths are known nationally, and with modern shipping there's no reason to go with Skeeter's Excellent Bait Shop & Gunsmithing.
LOL
I Know that a great trigger job is available . Know smiths who can do this. been there. Just interested in this new system. looking for gimmick vs real deal kind of info.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic

FWIW the best trigger job I have had done was by Steve Owens( 1911 addicts forum gun smith) he used the Harrison True radius sear and made some other adjustments to get that trigger to SNAP--so crisp, such a shor t uptake.I am a huge fan of his work and the Harrison true radius sear set up

Last edited:

Fotomaniac

New Fanatic
I have one...it is very cool! It is only a crisp trigger for now. I spoke with Nighthawk about a roll version. Don't know if that will actually happen as pretty much only Bullseye shooters would need it. My opinion is it makes it very simple for novices and those who are looking for a consistent trigger from pistol to pistol. Was wondering when someone would come up with this! Well they did. If you are fortunate enough to find a good Smith for a trigger job, then you probably wouldn't get this. All my BE pistols have custom tuned roll triggers. This was an impulse to see what it's all about. It works great! Jmho Ymmv

David D

Active Fanatic
I think Matt McLearn charged me 200 for the last one he did for me with EGW parts. Not sure the benefit of going with the Nighthawk. Seems like a solution to a non-existent problem for me.

Reactions: STI

pscipio03

Fanatic
For what it's worth, it's an entire ignition system, not just a trigger. Hence the higher than normal pricing.
As to how it will compare to a competent smith's work, well, I'm not sure that was NHC's target audience. If you have a SA with a crappy trigger, maybe it's worth it to you to simply have a drop in ignition setup that's not as good as what Rogers or Joe could do, but far better than stock.
And, as another member has stated, drop-in triggers for ARs have been around for awhile. Maybe this will be the barrier to entry getting breached for 1911s.
Just my $.02

Donald hittson

Fanatic
I was a bit put off by the price, thus the thread. Not buying a 300 trigger unless there is a significant improvement over what I already have
I wouldn't buy a $300 trigger group unless it's made me breakfast every morning and made me feel good long time

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
For what it's worth, there are several videos out there on installing, and testing this trigger. I have normally paid $250-$300 in the past for good, local smiths to them. Results have always been good, reliable 3-3.5 lb triggers. I haven't found any negatives so far, but might get one and try it on one I'm planning to build.

Latest posts