new gun

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
If Kimber would make a run of steel guns in the series 70 format I'd probably buy one.

The alloys are great... but they don't seem to leave much meat on the bone. And as purty as they are those anodized alloy frames just dont tickle my pickle.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
I must be one of the lucky few when it comes to kimbers. I've got an ultra carry II with about 1000 rds through it and I've never had a problem so I'm always suprised to hear that other kimber owners have lots of issues. Every mag I've ever tried has worked flawlessly and the only time I've had a FTE was on a terribly hot day when my grip safety was burning the piss out of my hand so My grip was as girly and limp as could be. Complete operator error.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Every time I hear about a trouble free Kimber its always an unused gun.

Really? I thought it was on ones that weren't broken in. In any case, I'm not sure I'd classify mine as "unused", maybe lightly used as far as round count but It's my daily carry and I trust my life with it.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Mine was low trouble... provided good mags and a fresh recoil spring were in use. It would burn through a recoil spring in ~750 rounds.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
The wife's 9mm Aegis II is pushing 700 rounds now... in about 4 months or so. I dont see and bright and shiny places where they shouldnt be. If see starts shooting IDPA on a regular basis I can see the round count going down on this gun when it goes to carry duty. I don't think the cone/bushing less guns fit any category. The recoil springs are easy to wear out on these little hog nosed 1911's.

I think she got a good one... we got a couple of stove pipes and double feeds... till she figured out not to ride the slide and get a solid grip on the pistol... runs like a champ.
Unlike my full sized Springer... it's in Genesco... I hope it's fixed this time.

SA gets good press.... I was really looking forward to a 9mm and treating myself to a "new" gun....most everything I have came to me second hand over the years.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I was really looking forward to a 9mm and treating myself to a "new" gun....most everything I have came to me second hand over the years.
actually, for a non custom gun....I think I'd almost prefer this.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Well...it's back today.

SA said on the repair ticket they:

reamed the chamber

re fit ejector
re fit extractor

replaced the factory mags... Metalforms for Checkmates.

We will see if it's a little more reliable... I hope the slide lock problem is fixed.

if it holds open on the check mates,,, they have a lot higher trip on them than the originals... I may try a 10# recoil spring... the stock spring may not let the slide come all the way to the catch point as it opens up.

anybody tried Chip Mc Cormick 38 supers in their 9x19 1911?

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

I have only set-up 9x23 race guns with chip 38 super mag's, for 9mm and 9x19 para's I use wilson's.

oh, P.S. jeff,

Was testing a springer the other day on the rest and the factory mag's wouldn't lock the slide all day,

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
So... I moved to Nevada. Hardly touched a pistol for the last couple of months.

Took the SA 9mm out to the City of Carson/BLM range a couple of weeks ago.. ran 50 rounds just to make sure I could still shoot.

Last week I shot the IDPA Postal twice... this club is tuning up for it. IIRC I got two slide locks out of the metalforms.

Monday I figured what the heck... ordered a pair of 10 round Tripp magazines... they came in today. Ran out after work and tried them... 10 for 10 -split between the pair...100% lock open.

I tried some loaner Tripps when I first got this gun. The did not seem to help. Two trips to the factory and 1500 rounds may have done the trick. If these magazines work out I'll order a few more.

My UTAH NON RES and NEVADA resident CCW class is this Sunday... should I shoot a Glock 19 or a SA 1911? We have to qualify with each class of handgun here. It used to be you had to qualify with each MODEL you intended to carry (G17, G23, SW MP9C, etc) but they fixed that a couple of years ago.

I really miss OKC... for a shooter it IS the place to be!

Latest posts