new gun

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I was only refering to my personal experiances with the same model of pistol bought from h&h a few years ago. I am actually have said pistol untill my friend comes to pick it up. By all means if its not something superficial like grip or lube send it back. This one would have gone back if these small changes didn't fix the problems.

imhntn

Founding Member
I thought all 1911's had to be tinkered with and baby'd to get to run and you could never get one out of the box to do right. I have seen lots of guys at the range with 1k 1911s that had problems. Marshall Luton always says to bring 2 of them to his class so you will have a back up gun because they are going to break, jam, etc.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I thought all 1911's had to be tinkered with and baby'd to get to run and you could never get one out of the box to do right. I have seen lots of guys at the range with 1k 1911s that had problems. Marshall Luton always says to bring 2 of them to his class so you will have a back up gun because they are going to break, jam, etc.

That's half the fun. Sorta like driving a Model T... you have to advance the timing by hand to get it to run up a hill LOL

I could fix this gun .... enough local talent nearby to get help... but at this point it's the principle of the thing. Out of the box ANY 1911 should do all the stuff it ought to do (feed, fire, eject) out-of-the box. Tuning is supposed to enhance the function or improve it.

If it was a 45 I'd simply trade a slide stop (or two) and play with my box of magazines to find the right combo... but 9mm mags are hard to find... and the 9mm slide stop has different lobe dimensions. Plus--- it's under warranty.

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

Must be alot of kimber shooters! :sarcastichand:

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

The reason I ask is I had a customer bring one in last year, super nice guy, he was almost in tears about it. He took the pistol out to range with some 117g target loads to let his wife get a good feel of the gun, (so he could buy a new one) and let her carry the litte CDP Ultra. The gun would not cycle all the time with the light load, called Kimber as to return it under warranty for this issue. Kimber stated that there CDP Ultra 9mm models will only shoot 127g factory power loads, .......................What?.....................1,000.00 pistol.............1 kind of ammo........They offer to look at it, but if no issue was found he would need to pay the inspection fee and return shipping.

WOW, that is all I can say about Kimber, One the best high dollar, combat gold match, or super match gun, contains the same parts as the custom 2, how do I know this, call kimber and ask for a parts breakdown on a 5 inch super match and they will send you their ONE size fits all IPB (parts breakdown). that right folks that awsome raptor you have, same thing as the custom 2 your buddies got. Differance is you paid a 1000.00 bucks for snake skin grip treatments.

That is why I dont like kimber, that in the fact that you call them and they are really bad to deal with when you know what your taking about. Had a Raptor 2 come in, number 3 link gun, the VIS was located .0145 to the rear, and the cross pin was stopping the barrel, what does kimber say.....thats normal.....go up a link size, crazy but with a number 5 you only pick up .010.....what about the other .0045?

anyways, on the soap box again, sorry to hijack your post Jeff. :O

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I think that part of the problem is that people are pushing the limits of the design. The 1911 was designed as a 5" gun that fed 45ACP hard ball, and did it very well. Anytime you modify any of those requirements (barrel length, caliber, bullet type) you're using the gun for something it wasn't designed for and need to make appropriate changes to the design. A compact 1911 in 9mm trying to feed hollowpoints is going to require a significant redesign, and I think that many manufacturers haven't done the redesign particularly well. It doesn't surprise me that Kimber specified one type of ammo. I imagine they did it to reduce the number of variables they had to account for (and they still couldn't pull it off).

It doesn't help that the 1911 was designed at a time when it was feasible to mass-produce guns that were hand fit by skilled craftsmen. Can't do that anymore. You can still produce guns that way but it costs $lesbaer. With a production gun nowadays you run the risk of stuff being out of spec; stuff like "running the gun wet," super-diligent cleaning, and polishing feed ramps are band-aids to mask problems that are more properly fixed by a guy like 1911 Rainman over here.

PS I'm posting about gunsmithing so please take this with a grain of salt.

E: Seriously, can a mod change DurningDefenseCustoms' title to "1911 Rainman" because that would make my day

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I dont mind the hijack... let's just keep it productive. Kimber touts its line as a semi-custom class of product. I think it's the best mass marketed CNC gun out there ....

I have an Aegis here... runs 100% of the time on all ball and so far- on all the hollow points I've feed it. Feeds, fires, ejects, locks. I just wonder how it will hold up if it was run "hard". I probably won't... most 3 inch 1911's are evolutions of the 380 or pocket gun... carry a lot...shoot a little.

If that little pistol was used at a grueling pace... comp and training and practice... I really think it would wear out in 50K or so...

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

I see Poop is rustling some jimmies today! :sarcastichand:

Rainman it is, I get numbers washed sometimes, if you guys are sick of it, talk to my wife... :wild:

I would image the frame would be the issue, like in most lightweight guns.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Had a Raptor 2 come in, number 3 link gun, the VIS was located .0145 to the rear, and the cross pin was stopping the barrel, what does kimber say.....thats normal.....go up a link size, crazy but with a number 5 you only pick up .010.....what about the other .0045?

I hate it when that happens............Just kidding, that might as well have been written in Cyrillic

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I hate it when that happens............Just kidding, that might as well have been written in Cyrillic

Burke... that link trick is old as the hills. 1911 fitters have put a taller link into the gun to get it to lock up tighter. A tight breech lock up is a big deal in accurizing the 1911. Problem is... that link is not meant to be used as a "lever" the old trick usually breaks the lug off the barrel if the gun is run much at all.

But...it is a lot easier than working the locking lugs down to the correct fit so they don't peen up the locking lugs in the slide....plus the link affects the breech ends fit into the hood area...

JMB's original semi autos had 2 links...one fore and one aft. By the time he started on what became the US 1911 he had modified the pistol to run on a fitted bushing at the front... and a swinging link to lock the breech. This pistol is crystal simple in one breath and harder than Chineese arithmetic in the next....

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

Give me a call dustin, we will build you a nice gun and you can shot your kimber with it. LOL

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Give me a call dustin, we will build you a nice gun and you can shot your kimber with it. LOL

Not sure I have the money for one of your pistols. When it comes time for a 2011, I'll give you a call, though. When I started buying up firearms, I vowed to never sell one. This Kimber, though, might get sold. It functions perfect now but it has left a bad taste in my mouth. Taking offers on a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry II... :resent:

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

hard way to sell one sir, good luck.

But like stated above, someone will want another line! HAHA

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
[quote name=' timestamp='1340236083' post='100923']
"To the Mod that changed my .223 to Rainman, good on you, as many laughs as poop has brought me, he should get one too." [/quote]

Your welcome. Hope you don't mind. Then I accidentally deleted it from my phone

dennishoddy

Well, I'm a Kimber fan as well.
I've seen thousands of posts about failures of every gun manufactured, in the world today, including the high end custom guns.
Its always the fault of the manufacturer, or the builder, and BY GOD I'll never buy another gun from that company.

These company's didn't get where they are by sending out junk guns. Period.

One never knows if they have put in a light recoil spring, and shot +P loads or whatever causing the damage they relate to the builder.
I will admit the quality control in manufacturing industry's has suffered recently in an attempt to control costs vs moving the operation to China.

I'm about 20,000 rounds into my Kimber Stainless target II in USPSA, off the shelf condition, with exception of a lighter spring.
I haven't cleaned it for the last 2K to see when its going to fail, and so far, its still running on 200 grain SWC lead bullets.