New, From Oklahoma

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Hello, Just looking for some help with gun choice, shooting skill and practice, and basically a place to start from, was referred by a member here on another forum so Thanks to however that was!

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Well folks can not help if they dont know what specifically your looking for.
I'll try and get you started fwiw.
Gun choice Glock, XD, M&P in the order that it fits you.
Practice First bad practice only reinforces bad habits. If you don't know someone to assist with this nor can not get training then watch yourself in the mirror or video yourself.
What you need to practice is the basics to include knowing your manual of arms and malfunction drills. There are books and videos on dry fire practice. Main thing is insure the pistol is empty. Unload it and then check it again, and insure there is no ammo that even by mistake can be loaded into the pistol. Those basics would be the presentation, reloads, transitions. Then start working in moving in an out of different firing positions.

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Well a friend of mine, has talked me into trying running gun and the hardware I have would not be usefull for this, so I am looking to buy a new gun, that would be a 9 for sure due to cost of ammo. I was looking at the XD M 5.25, any thoughts?

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay so I am reading the online IPSC rule book, and I think the rest will have to wait until I purchase the gun and belt. I guess

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I was looking at the XD M 5.25, any thoughts?

While the XDM's are great guns, you may want to look into the Glock or M&P variants.
There's just alot more parts, holsters, accesories, etc. on the market for them than the XD's.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Well a friend of mine, has talked me into trying running gun and the hardware I have would not be usefull for this, so I am looking to buy a new gun, that would be a 9 for sure due to cost of ammo. I was looking at the XD M 5.25, any thoughts?
Good pistol Do you know what discipline and div you are wanting to try?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
The XDM 5.25 is very good out of the box. So would be a Glock or S&W M&P. You're going to be shooting a lot of rounds, and you want something durable and reliable, and that you won't worry about scratching.

TroyF

TheBearcat
Although the XDm is a good gun, it is easier to get work done locally on a Glock or M&P. There arent alot of XDms in these parts, but you cant swing a dead cat without hitting the other pistols. To my mind, this should factor into a buying decision.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Because I never had much I would look at the what is allowed and purchase your equipment at first to meet all your needs. as in 1 holster, mag pouches that can used in all divisions etc. If you are truly new give yourself a year or two before you decide on more specialized equipment. Once you’re a dedicated shooter and have some experience and meet folks and see what they are using you will be better prepared to make an informed choice on specific equipment. ​
be concerned with learning safe gun handling at speed and speed will come, learn your equipment, learn what is your strengths and weakness and work on them, an learn the game. Having gear that is allowed in more than one div gives you options and where allowed you can shoot twice as much :08: Not only will you have twice the fun, but gain twice the experince. ​

XDs where I came from there are lots. I am sure you can find a holster for your needs. Having locals availbale to work on your gun should make things faster and easeir though I have friends that do their own thang with the XD. Canyon Creek does serious trigger work with quick turn around. Best with your quest.​

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to Boomer Shooter.
I went with the S&W M&P .40 and i love it.
A friend got his hands on it and then bought one in 9mm.
All the parts i need are at easy to find.My wife says they are to easy to find and stop spending money.LOL
You just cant go wrong with an M&P.

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I appreciate all the Input! I am going to Take some ammo to the range and rent a glock, S and W M&P, and the XD M and just see what feels the best, as for the rest, I plan to just jump in with both feet and learn as I go!! Once again thank you all!

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The most popular gun in the USPSA production division is the Glock 34. Second most popular is the M&P 9 Pro. They are both great guns. The only reason the Glock is more popular is that it's been around longer and the aftermarket accessories are cheaper and/or more readily available. The XDM is probably my 3rd choice as it is a new comer even though it's already a few years old.

Welcome to the forum. If you need some guns or gear to get stated let us know. We all had to borrow stuff when we started too.

RN&TULSAFIREMAN

Active Fanatic
We shoot steel challenge and 3gun at USSA. We were using the Glock 35. Bought the XDm 5.25 9mm and absolutely love it!!!! Both are great guns but my suggestion would be to shoot both and see which fits you best

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I believe I am going with the XD M, but I think instead of the 9, I am going with the 40, so if I jump a div. I can do so without buying another gun! Once again thank you everybody for all of you Input, It helped out a bunch in decision!!!

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I believe I am going with the XD M, but I think instead of the 9, I am going with the 40, so if I jump a div. I can do so without buying another gun! Once again thank you everybody for all of you Input, It helped out a bunch in decision!!!

I would seriously consider getting a glock 35 or m&p pro instead of the XDm. I haven't shot a 5.25 XDm yet, but I own a 9mm XDm. The slide is heavy and causes much more muzzle flip than a glock or m&p. The other problem is the lack of local gunsmiths to work on them and available parts. You will quickly want a trigger job and the only options are canyon creek or springer precision. Although their prices are in line with what everyone charges for trigger job, you will get hit with almost $100 in shipping charges to get your gun to them and back. In hindsight, I regret not buying a one of the other guns.

Latest posts