Negligent Discharge...

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had mine as well, although I wasn't the one who pulled the trigger. A buddy of mine and I were looking @ his unloaded pistol, and, being the nice guy that I am, asked him how he carried it (chambered or not) and proceeded to load it as if he were carrying it. I handed it back to him assuming that he saw me load it, he took it from me assuming it was still empty. something was said about the trigger and I remember thinking "Why is he fingering the trigger of a loaded gun" when BOOM!! I was new and didn't know as much about gun safety as I do now, but he was raised around guns and so nobody was hurt - gun was pointed in a "safe" direction. Now there's just a hole in a wall of one of the buildings at my church which serves as a reminderof what happened.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
i am thinking that had any of the AD's described above resulted in an outcome that made the news, the replies would be very different. the forum would be flaming the person about safety, instead of replies of understanding.

it takes courage for you guys to admit your mistakes. glad you have done so because it wakes us all up.

i had an AD with my muzzleloader. i was approaching a downed deer with it cocked cuz i thought the deer was still alive. i let the hammer slip while decocking and put a 350 gr maxi ball through the deers rump and all those round steaks. the muzzle was so close to the deer his fur was smoking. scared the hell out of me.

K

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had one, and been in the house for another.

Mine was also a brain fart, negligence on my part. At the time, whenever I cleaned my revolvers, the last thing I would do is wipe the outside of the gun down, rotate the cylinder and get those last two spots you can't get with the cylinder closed. Did that with a loaded gun because I was getting ready to carry it. It was an old S&W with hammer mounted firing pin, so when the hammer slipped from my thumb, I shot a nice .38 spl sized hole through a pile of clean clothes. I changed my habits after that, wipe down with cylinder out, push closed with rag.

The other one, I was taking a girl to the range. She had supposedly grown up around guns, knew gun safety, and was familiar with the types of guns I had (semi auto pistols and revolvers). My carry gun was loaded, on the couch in the holster. I went to hit the bathroom before leaving, and BANG! She had wanted to hear it go "click", and had "checked" to see if there was a mag in it (but not the chamber). It was one of those silly plugged 10rd Sig mags, that's hollow in the base, so I guess since the base was not flat, she assumed there was no mag in it. That one really scared me, because she wasn't sure where it was pointed, and there were other apartments down range. I did find the slug under my carpet thankfully. After that I don't take for granted that anyone knows gun safety unless I've personally witnessed them showing it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
It was one of those silly plugged 10rd Sig mags, that's hollow in the base

That is one of the most stupid things I've seen a Gun manufacturer do. It's waaaaaaay to easy to mistake it for no mag in the gun. This happened just last weekend at the 3gun match. There was no AD/ND, just a 1'st timer that didn't realize his pistol wasn't supposed to be "HOT". It took me a few looks to finally decide that yes there was a mag in his gun & have him clear it.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Well ... after scrounging near and far.. I found a couple of parquet blocks and fixed the floor.

Now... get the door fixed. Our lap dog chewed through a bathroom door a while back...

The IRS un froze my bank account... what next?

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
You should be able to pull up the panel on the floor and replace it. You might have to use a small saw to cut the groove so you can get it out. Just depends on if it's tongue and groove or glued down. The hard part is going to be finding a section that matches the rest. Even if you get the exact color it's always going to be off compared to the others because the others have had more wear and exposure to light. :)

Glad no one got hurt. I've gotten in the habit of always jacking my slide 3-4 times and sticking my finger in the barrel every time I start to clean. Otherwise I always assume there's a round chambered because that's how I keep my guns.

dennishoddy

Little fur ball dog, Dennis, not much bigger than a Yorkie... she chewed a mouse hole through the door starting on the bottom edge... she could walk under it standing up when she was finished... in about 3 hours.

If it can happen -it happens to me :codemafia:
LOL. when you said it chewed up a door, it reminded me of some folks that brought their Pit to a local boat race. They chained it to a cedar tree, and it got bored. In two hours it completely stripped the bark from that tree as high as it could reach.
I wondered what their house/yard looked like.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Know a guy that has two boxers. Sounds like their only stimulation (physical or mental) is chewing everything from hoses, to fences, lic plates, well everything and he gets pissed. Some folks shouldn't have dogs.

Vash1023

Active Fanatic
ive also made that embarrasing mistake.

doing some AR mag change drills in my basement facing the mirrior using myself as my target. i had (thought i cleared all my mags on my belt. got to number three and BOOM. (had 1 round in it)

the odd part about it was it was such a surprise that i heard and felt nothing. only noticed the mirror exploding and began the long task of cleaning up my mess. :(

i double check the mags now.....

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I had my ND years ago when I was a kid. I was around 15 and was out deer hunting. Had just climbed down from my deer stand and picked my rifle up. For some reason I hadn't put the safety on. when I picked it up my finger slipped into the trigger guard and BOOM! I sent a 150 grain .308 Remington corelok into the ground about 6 inches or less from my right foot. Sat there for a few minutes shaking like a lead thankful I still had a foot. Ever since then I am almost obsessive compulsive about firearm safety. It was a lesson I will never forget

CBR

Well-Known Fanatic
Since we're confessing. 10 to 12ish years old. Uncle owned a pawn shop on Plainview, TX. Was visiting for the weekend. Hanging out behind the counter, don't know what it was, but a small semi auto lying in the desk. Checking it out or "goofing around ". Aimed at the back stairs and pulled the trigger. BOOM. Almost wet my pants. Nothing said... Lesson learned. Hasn't been a negligent discharge since. Scared the bejeeppers out of me.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Years ago, I was out with my family shooting clay bird shooting. My dad brought out this super old 16 gauge double barrel that we wanted to try for fun. My brother dropped 2 shells in, and closed the gun (break-over style) and both barrels went off and shot right next to his girlfriend that was sitting on the ground. The stock shattered and cut my bothers hand wide open. When the gun went off, she grabbed her face and fell over. We all just knew that she was dead, but she managed to not get hit by any of the pellets. A bunch of dirt flew up into her face and made one of her pupils egg shaped for a few hours.

Needless to say, that put a damper on the rest of the shooting. heh

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got one that is possibly more "stupid" than any posted here yet!

I used to do action jobs on revolvers for Highway Patrol Officers and Police Officers. One night I was working on a S&W for a patrolman and just couldn't seem to get it as smooth and clean as I liked. I finally decided I was just being too critical, and since I had the same model S&W myself, I pulled it out of the closet. I sat there in the door of the closet and held the cylinder up to my right ear as I slowly pulled the trigger so I could hear as well as feel what was going on. B-O-O-O-O-O-M! I made it a habit, at that time, to never keep a loaded firearm in the house. But a single lady neighbor from across the street had called me one morning a couple of nights before at 3 am saying she had someone messing around outside her house and could I please come quick check it out. I dropped my speed loader of .357 Silver Tips in the cylinder and ran across the street...........and, of course, no one was there. So I dragged my tired butt back home, threw the revolver back in the closet in my gun room and went back to bed. Never unloaded it! :eek: Needless to say, today all of my firearms are loaded and there's no question whether they are or aren't. Nice hole up through the ceiling in the closet where I fired the weapon, through some clothes in the upstairs closet and out the sidewall of the house. Learned my lesson, for sure!

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Heck, I couldn't even hear for a few days! Just plain stupidity! My cat was asleep on my work bench and I think she left the room without touching the floor, and my little dog fell over on her side...............I thought she'd had a heart attack! If it hadn't been so scary, it would have been funny. :sarcastichand:

Latest posts