Negligent Discharge...

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Shot my carry gun at the range the other day. Finished, mag out , checked clear and dropped the hammer.

Got home and put it away (needed cleaning and it was late). Got out my back up gun and made ready for the morning.

A couple of days later... got the dirty gun out. It was shadowy and I did not turn the lights on.

Blue gun in the dark... I had placed a "loaded" mag in the gun and forgot about it. I did look at the butt for a magazine...my brain was convinced it was not there.
My habit with the 1911 is to leave my carry gun loaded, cocked and locked. In this case I skipped that habit... the hammer was "down" and after than missed clue I was off to the races.

Racked the slide...nothing ejected.... dropped the hammer...BOOM! I killed a section of parquet floor. My wife was in the next room...

NO ONE WAS HIT. I found the jacket and lead across the room... no holes in the walls or funiture.

Accident...hell no. Total brain fade negligence on my part. I thank God no one was hurt. And I am mortified and embaressed that after 30 years of shooting, teaching, packing and working on guns I did the ulitmate dumb act of setting a gun off from self induced lack of attention.

Be careful fellas... I can say that 45 ACP jacketed hollow points will shed jackets and fall apart when shot into a hardwood floor (over concrete) and that my be what limited damage. I am conviced a FMJ would have skipped and went through the wall across the room.

Sorry to be an embarssment to this group, my wife and myself. I hope we can all learn from my mistake.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Brother, I dont think there is a person on this forum who hasnt had to face this at one point or another...Ive blown holes in walls as Im sure about 90% of us have at one point or another. Its scary, but just let it be a reminder. We cannot let ourselves get complacent.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Jeff,
Thanks for sharing. It's always helpful to hear stories like this to remind us not to bcome complacent.
No matter how detailed your routine is, or how long you've been handling firearms, once you become complacent bad things can happen. I'm glad nobody was hurt & I'm sure you got a real eye opener along with a pair of soiled shorts :).

Seriously, glad everyone's ok & thanks for sharing.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Man I came awful close to doing this in my AR back in July. I store my AR hammer down, and we packed up at the range in a hurry (was getting dark) I had dropped the mag from my AR and shoved it in it's case. Got home and was about to stow it, when I realized I hadn't dropped the hammer at the range. I took the safety off, and touched the trigger. I honestly don't know why I stopped, cause like you said my brain knew it was empty, cause I never pack a gun in it's case loaded. Scared the crap out of me when I racked it and the round flew out. Literally sent my heart racing. I keep that round by my bathroom mirror so I see it all the time as a reminder of how close I came.

The fundamentals are the fundamentals for a reason. If we follow them, we will never have an accident. They are redundant for a reason too, had I fired my AR it was pointed in a "safe" direction as was your pistol.

Thanks for the reminder, sorry it had to happen, glad everyone is Ok.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad to see no one was hurt.

We all need a reminder from time to time. your willingness to share this will ensure that I'm more vigilant and that i remind those around me to be as well.

Thanks.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
one thing you didn't focus on is how if you follow the rules of gun safety even when things like this happen no one will ever get hurt, you pointed the gun a safe direction, you pulled the trigger to verify there was nothing in the chamber and the gun went off, opposed to not checking and then getting yourself or someone else hurt. In my eyes you followed gun safety to the letter and no one got hurt!!! great day to say the least...

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
one thing you didn't focus on is how if you follow the rules of gun safety even when things like this happen no one will ever get hurt, you pointed the gun a safe direction, you pulled the trigger to verify there was nothing in the chamber and the gun went off, opposed to not checking and then getting yourself or someone else hurt. In my eyes you followed gun safety to the letter and no one got hurt!!! great day to say the least...

Got any scrap parquet flooring Ben? Thanks... you are too gracious.
Learning: there is no SAFE direction in the house.
ALWAYS DROP THE MAGAZINE
ALWAYS CLEAR THE CHAMBER...

I screwed the pooch...no ifs ands or butts about it.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Pretty much enough has been stated and I am betting you are beating yourself up more than collectively the rest of us could. I am so scared I check and even stick my finger in the chamber and mag well or at least a finger in the mag well and hold the pistol to get a good view into the chamber.
It says something about you sharing this in the hopes the warning will keep someone from getting hurt and knowing there might be some that will ridicule you for the incident. Thank you for manning up and trying to keep the rest of us safe.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad to hear everything is okay. I can only imagine the scare that goes through you when that happens. I think it takes some manly humility to come forward and say what you did. I'm proud to say I have never had an accidental or negligent discharge...of my gun that is.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Thanks. I haven't had mine yet, and reminders like this help me keep postponing it. Glad everyone is OK.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Favorite saying is the two loudest sounds in the world are a boom when you expect a click and a click when you expect a boom.
Floors can always be fixed most importantly no one was hurt.
Later Corey

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Been there, done that, nice little .38 shotshell pattern in wood flooring at base housing in the Marine Corps. Thank God no one heard it but me.

Latest posts