Needing suggestions

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I finally have my AR together minus any sights. Since I started building my plan was to put a Vortex 1-4 on it with some offset irons. But now I am not so sure. This rifle is going to seem time in the field hunting predators, hogs, and occasionally deer. It will also serve as a defensive/shtf weapon. It will also see some 3gun time. While 1-4s are great in the 3 gun game I am unsure of their practicality in a real world environment with the multitude on non traditional shooting positions that exist. I am now thinking more of an EOtech with a magnifier and keeping the offsets irons because electronics can fail. What I would like from my fellow BSers are honest opinions, thoughts, and suggestions.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The Eotech with magnifier would suck compared to a good 1-6x scope like the Vortex.
You can still use offset irons if you wish, but you shouldn't need it if your scope has a true 1x power.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
How is a 1-x when it comes to non traditional shooting positions. My only experience with a scope is the 3-9 Nikon on my rem 700 and I know if I don't have my eye in just the right spot behind that scope I either can't see period or it is partially blacked out where as the aimpoint comp 2 I have on my current AR doesn't care where my face is.

James Peel

Well-Known Fanatic
Most 1x scopes have a lot of eye relief so all I have to do is get my head somewhere near the stock and I've got a good sight picture. With a true 1x scope you can shoot both eyes open and not have a problem..

If you're going to hunt with it much, I'd go with the 1-6x.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The advantage an Eotech has over a 1-4 is cost and battery life.

I would always have a 1-4x or 1-6x on my SHTF gun.

A hunting gun may need a 3-9x or 5-12x at times as most large game doesn't let you get too close to it.

jtischauser

Josh Beauchamp said:
I probably need to just get up to HH or heartland and hope they have some 1-x that I can check out.
Bring some extra ammo to the next match or head up to Guthrie and shoot mine. You can run an Eotech vs. a Burris Tac30 vs. a Swarovski Z6i. That will give you all ends of the spectrum.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I work weekends with my days off during the week so unless matches start happening on mondays-Wednesdays I am SOL on meet you guys at a match.

Cajun0007

Well-Known Fanatic
Burris MTac is tough to beat based off of your requirements above and it is much cheaper than an Eotech even before you add the magnifier. My 2c.

jtischauser

Josh Beauchamp said:
I work weekends with my days off during the week so unless matches start happening on mondays-Wednesdays I am SOL on meet you guys at a match.
Sounds like you're going to have to come to Guthrie.

jtischauser

Josh Beauchamp said:
I would appreciate that Jesse, but I know you work alot so let me know what works with your schedule.
I'm going to be shooting a bunch getting ready for the next Pro Series match on the 7th and the FNH match on the 21st.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse, if the offer still stands I would like to come up to Guthrie either next week or the week after Monday-Wednesday. Let me know what works for you. Thanks again.

jtischauser

Josh Beauchamp said:
Jesse, if the offer still stands I would like to come up to Guthrie either next week or the week after Monday-Wednesday. Let me know what works for you. Thanks again.
Holler at me.

ripnbst

Well-Known Fanatic
One gun that does many things does none of them well. That being said I would run a 1-6x as I think it would fill the roles you are looking for about as good as you can ask given that you want one "do everything" gun.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been thinking and I am going to go with the EOTech. I am familiar with the EOTech and the way I am thinking is they are fantastic optics, I am not familiar a scope outside of long range precision shooting so why change something that works for me that ain't broke.

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
If you put alot if stock in "SHTF" scenarios like you mentioned earlier. I would seriously consider a aimpoint either a T-1 or comp M-4s. They are tougher than eotechs and the battery life is the big seller. 3 to 6 years on one battery. Im certainly not an eotech hater I have used them alot and still own one. They are a better optic in my opinion than the aimpiont when it comes to using a magnifier. Anyway I have both hit me up if you want to shoot some and you can try both of them and make the call yourself

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I have shot both and have a CompM2 on my current AR. They are both great systems I just find the EOTech has a little better field of view. As for battery life the EOTech I am looking at use 123As and I always have a supply off those on hand for the Surefire Uncle Sam gave me back in the service.

Latest posts