Need to get started on an SBR

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Let me start by apologizing because I'm too lazy to go read how to do this. Id' rather have you guys spoon feed me the info.

I just realized I really need an SBR.

What's the SOP for getting a SBR legally these days? I have gone through the suppressor paperwork previously and a SBS. Is it the same chit? Do I just need to take my lower and get the stamp for it and get it engraved?

Once I get the paperwork can I purchase multiple uppers for the lower legally or does each short barreled upper need a dedicated SBR lower?

Thanks for holding my hand!

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Or before. Some say do it before in case something screws up, I did my first after and my second will be after also.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
You don't want to have multiple short uppers if you also have extra unregistered lowers in the safe. The ATF considers that "intent to manufacture"

Fill out a form 1 pay the stamp get photos and get the lower engraved while you wait the 8-10 months its currently taking. Easy process, just takes too damn long.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
None of my last 4 stamps took over 6 months. I currently have two more pending and should be on schedule for the same.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Is it OK if I keep my stockpile of lowers in another safe?
Where doesn't really matter, if they're in your possession.

If you don't have extra short uppers (sub 16"), yes.

If you have extra short uppers, my understanding is "No" unless you have full length (16"+) uppers for any that have ever been built into a rifle config (ie, with buttstock). AR receivers now transfer as "Other" so you can build into rifle or pistol. So if they are virgin receivers that transferred to you as "other", you should be OK as you could build those lowers into pistol config - which would be legal with the short uppers. That's assuming you don't have the parts to build the lowers into rifle lowers. In other words, you would also have to be careful having extra stocks laying around. Or just buy and install a pistol buffer tube for each extra short upper you have.

Basically, it all gets pretty stupid.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Jesse here's what I did.

1. Sent off paperwork to register a lower to sbr.
2. While waiting bought a stripped lower and made it into a pistol
3. Bought the short upper parts I wanted, put it together and put on my pistol lower. Just in case supply dried up I would have what I wanted when my stamp got back
4. Engraved sbr lower.
5. Stamp received, bought another short upper.
6. Sent off to sbr a different lower. Will engrave it sometime soon.

When that stamp gets back I will either put a stock on my pistol lower, or buy another short upper and keep it a pistol. With two SBR'd lowers I probably won't sbr anymore. I just don't know if I need 3 short uppers. If I find a short 300 BLK I'll probably buy it. It's nice to have one pistol lower just to keep things legal. All my short uppers will always be on a registered sbr lower or on a pistol lower. Though they don't necessarily have to be as long as I don't have a ton of rifle lowers laying around. Either way I doubt any jack booted thugs will ever come knocking on my door to inspect. Better safe than sorry though right?

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Good times, we have a min over all length but as long as the gun fits it the barrel length is irrelevent.
P.S. a 12 inch barrled 12 guage isnt all its cracked up to be either.

Jessie build your gun SO I CAN SEE PICS. man I should be a salesman

Well-Known Fanatic
Just got my form 1 approved today. I bought the lower and had it engraved when I did eform. Took 5 months almost to the day. If you efile remember to put what you will engrave on the lower in block H and under caliber only numbers(300 blackout list as 300 or 308)

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
454308 said:
Just got my form 1 approved today. I bought the lower and had it engraved when I did eform. Took 5 months almost to the day. If you efile remember to put what you will engrave on the lower in block H and under caliber only numbers(300 blackout list as 300 or 308)
You lost me on pretty much all of that.

Latest posts