Natural Remedies

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
(Obligatory disclaimer!: None of this information should be construed as professional medical advice. Each individual assumes all personal responsibilities, liabilities, results, effects and consequences.)

Over the past few months, I've developed a curiosity about homeopathic remedies, not just for health concerns, but also because it's a valuable skill and important knowledge. Plus, it's really interesting!!! There's still a lot to learn, so I'll be adding more to this thread over time, and if anyone has anything they want to contribute, feel free!!!

I'm going to start with some brief information about homeopathy, recipes and basic remedies, and then I'll be adding raw herbal information later.

Doctrine of Signatures
Paracelsus, an alchemist born in 1493, was a supporter of the Doctrine of Signatures, which maintained that the outward appearance of a plant gave an indication of the ailments it would cure. At times the theory was surprisingly accurate. Similar theories still prevail in Africa.
Some examples:
1. The leaves of lungwort were said to resemble diseased lungs, so the plant was used for bronchitis and tuberculosis.
2. Many yellow flowered plants were linked to jaundice, so toadflax, greater celandine and dandelion were used for liver disorders.
(source; The Complete Medicinal Herbal, Penelope Ody)

Which leads into;
The Law of Similars
The principle is "Let like be treated by like." "...A substance which produces symptoms in a healthy person cures those symptoms in a sick person...The 'chance observation' Vithoulkas mentioned here is Hahnemann's discovery that as a man in perfect health himself at the time, by drinking approximately one half ounce of decocttion of Peruvian bark (a source of the malaria fighting drug quinine) he produced within himself symptoms similar to those of malaria without actually having the disease, which is caused by the bite of the malarial mosquito."
(source, Homeopathy & Your Child, Lyle W. Morgan II)

An example of Homeopathy philosophy in action;
"Fever is our strongest weapon in the fight of nature against all bacteria...In general considerations, fever is to be favored, not feared. Fever is one of the body's natural defenses against illness of all sorts, and it is important to the healing process. Of itself, fever is not an illness but the outward symptomatic sign that the body is under assault and attempting to defend itself...Homeopathy can assist here better than any other system of health care by stimulating the immune defense system."
(source, Homeopathy & Your Child, Lyle W. Morgan II)

In essence, homeopathy complements the fever, works with it and provides management measures, rather than traditional medicine (allopathy) which suppresses the fever; the body's natural defense against illness. This sort of thinking follows in almost all herbal remedies and homeopathic treatments. To work with the body, rather than against it.

Now onto remedies...

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Natural Treatment for Ear Infections

The goal with treatment of a viral ear infection is symptom relief. Symptoms such as pain, irritability, and distress can make for a very unpleasant experience.
One of the most effective natural remedies for the ear pain associated with an ear infection is warm homemade garlic oil. Garlic?s properties include, but are not limited to, use as an antiseptic, antiviral, and antibacterial agent. When preparing garlic for use in this recipe, or any recipe for that matter, it is important to allow garlic to rest after mincing for approximately 10 minutes

Garlic Oil Recipe
-1 clove of garlic, minced
-2 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil
Directions: Warm oil slightly over low heat in small pot. Remove oil from heat and add minced garlic. Cover and allow oil and garlic to steep for at least 30 minutes. Strain and bottle if necessary. Oil will keep in refrigerator for 4-5 days.
To use: Instill 2-3 drops of oil in the ear as often as needed for pain relief.

You may also want to administer a light massage of the neck in an attempt to help the lymph nodes drain fluid away from the ears. Thereby reducing the risk for bacterial growth.

Lavender Oil
-1 drop of lavender essential oil
-1 tablespoon of carrier oil (olive, coconut, almond, jojoba, avocado)
Directions: Mix the 2 ingredients and rub it on your hands. Begin massaging gently from the ear down the neck toward the chest as well as massaging from the ear down the jaw line.

Tips:
-For added pain relief, heat a small cloth bag of rice for use as a warm compress applied directly over the ear.
-If the pain increases and lasts longer than 48 hours, or if the child/adult?s symptoms are associated with an uncontrolled fever. This may indicate a bacterial infection, requiring medical attention.

(source: http://frugallysustainable.com/2011/10/ ... nfections/)

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Simple Itch Relief Remedies

Simple Itch Relief Remedies
You can beat the itch of bug bites by simply using things that you may have around the house, such as:
~applying a paste made of baking soda and water to each bite
~soaking in an Epsom salt bath
~making a paste by crushing an Aspirin and adding a few drops of water or rubbing alcohol
~dab on a bit of raw honey
~rub on a little apple cider vinegar
~try an ice pack to the area
~mottle a few fresh plantain leaves and make a poultice
~make a fomentation by using plantain leaves (basically infuse plantain in water, as you would if you were making tea, soak a clean cloth in the infusion then apply the warm, moist cloth on the bites)

Because each insect bite is different and our bodies react differently, don?t give up if something doesn?t work for you?just try something else.

Homemade Itch relief Stick

Ingredients
-1 ounce (approx. 2 tablespoons) olive oil infused with calendula flowers, chickweed, nettle leaf, lemon balm leaf, plantain leaf, and goldenseal root (see notes below)
-1 ounce (approx. 2 tablespoons) Shea butter
-1 ounce (approx. 2 tablespoons) cocoa butter
-1 ounce (approx 2 tablespoons) beeswax
-1 teaspoon Neem oil
-2 teaspoons essential oil blend (You can use a blend of clove, lavender, rosemary, peppermint, tea tree and/or ginger)

Method
1. Infuse your oil with the herbs.
2. In a double boiler, or small pot, over very low heat slowly melt the olive oil, butters, beeswax, and neem oil.
3. Once melted remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the essential oils.
4. Pour mixture into a clean roll-up or push-up tube and allow it to cool on the counter overnight.

(source: http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/04/ ... y-for-you/)

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Headaches

Turmeric Root Powder
available in capsules, sold in most health food stores.
Turmeric powder has actually been shown, in scientific studies, to be three times more effective at easing pain and soothing inflammation than aspirin or ibuprofen

(source; http://www.crunchybetty.com/tuesdays-ou ... aking-soda)

Precautions
As is the case with so many herbs, turmeric should be used in moderation. Too much turmeric used for extended periods of time may cause stomach distress. Since turmeric is included in Ayurvedic formulas for birth control, women trying to become pregnant should limit their consumption of the herb, and it should be avoided entirely while pregnant. Excessive use of turmeric should also be avoided in people with congestive heart failure. The curcumin in turmeric activates a gene called p53. This gene deactivates cancer cells, but it also deactivates damaged cells in the heart.
(source; http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/ ... c_root.php)

Cayenne Pepper and Peppermint Essential Oil

This works well for my eye strain headaches and other non-muscle related pains, but doesn?t seem to affect neck-tension headaches much.
Here?s how I vanish my headaches: Typically, I?ll just sprinkle cayenne liberally on some cottage cheese (or other food dish) and then make a cup of tea with 1/4 tsp cayenne sprinkled into that, as well. The capsaicin in cayenne depletes something called Substance P, which is a neurotransmitter that sends pain impulses (and it also helps increase your circulation).It?s a great painkiller that comes with no other side effects than a slightly spicy mouth.
Then, I just dab on a drop of peppermint essential oil diluted with sweet almond oil (or another carrier oil) to each temple and close my eyes for 15 minutes. The headache is usually gone within 15-20 minutes.
(source; http://www.crunchybetty.com/crunchy-bet ... everything)

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Fire Ant Stings:

Immediately hit the stings with something containing ammonia, such as glass cleaner. I saw some movie where the crazy old grampa thought Windex was the cure for everything. I once took a whif of an insect bite stick and noticed the distinctive odor of ammonia. Got me thinking, maybe he was partially right. Theory: ammonia neutralizes the pain causing acid in the bite.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
Fire Ant Stings:

Immediately hit the stings with something containing ammonia, such as glass cleaner. I saw some movie where the crazy old grampa thought Windex was the cure for everything. I once took a whif of an insect bite stick and noticed the distinctive odor of ammonia. Got me thinking, maybe he was partially right. Theory: ammonia neutralizes the pain causing acid in the bite.

My big fat Greek wedding.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Cuts and Scrapes

This spicy treat is actually a wonder with cuts and bleeders. It may sound a little scary, but it works! Just sprinkle a layer of ground cayenne pepper on a bleeding, open wound and then wrap a bandage around it. The bleeding stops, and the pain is dulled. Leave this bandage on for an hour or two.

Why cayenne helps cuts: Cayenne is incredibly high in a property called capsaicin. You probably know that it?s very effective in treating pain, but why? It dulls the nerve endings and sends messages to the brain to slow down pain impulses. Cayenne works to help stop bleeding by encouraging the clotting of blood. In fact, studies have shown that, if a person is in the middle of a heart attack and they take a strong cayenne pepper tea, the heart attack may stop completely ? because of cayenne?s blood clotting power.

(source; http://www.crunchybetty.com/your-natura ... -and-burns)

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
Fire Ant Stings:

I bet it does work, and if you have nothing else on hand, then spritz on! But before you do, be aware that some types (I'm pretty sure all, actually) of Windex/glass cleaner contain synthetic fragrances, which have been shown to disrupt hormones and have other serious, negative effects on the body. http://www.ewg.org/notsosexy

Anything that says it has synthetic fragrance on it is something to be wary of. I mean, I'm not exactly the conspiracy preaching, tinfoil hat hippy type, but when the FDA says that there is only a "negligible" amount of lead in lipstick, and only a little bit of arsenic in juice, and just a teensy bit of harmful chemicals in our laundry softener, it may be nothing to worry about individually, but collectively, there are toxins in just about everything we use daily, and it adds up. Not to mention that heavy metals like lead (in lipstick) and aluminum (in deoderant) build up in the body and do not purge like aspirin or vitamin C.

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
Restatement of the Obligatory disclaimer!: None of this information should be construed as professional medical advice. Each individual assumes all personal responsibilities, liabilities, results, effects and consequences. THIS MEAN YOU!!!

I?m going to step a little sideways on this thread. Not aiming to derail it, as asking everyone to consider some additional information. I may end up starting a separate thread relating to post SHTF medicine. Now, onto the meat of this post.

A resource and a couple of notes for those of you out there looking at this. Now, because of what I do I cannot formally and officially recommend anything other than go see your local trained and licensed medical practitioners. However, some of the resources available on the wonderfully wide web may be moderately useful. Survival and austere medicine (http://www.aussurvivalist.com/downloads ... al%202.pdf) is a free resource that may or may not contain useful information related to medical practice in long term emergency situations. Also I highly recommend everyone take a Red Cross certified first aid and CPR course, and if possible a First Responder or EMT-basic course.

One of the most critical things you can do is know when you are outclassed. ER and Greys anatomy make it look easy to re-inflate a collapsed lung (Seriously people, DON?T TRY THAT AT HOME!!!), Give a field tracheotomy (see above parenthetical statement), or insert an ET tube (don?t even think about it). Remember the difference between TV and reality is that you can get another take on a TV shoot.

Now, having scared the crap out of you I will repeat ?I highly recommend everyone take a Red Cross certified first aid and CPR course, and if possible a First Responder or EMT-basic course.? Even basic first aid skill can save your life, or the lives of those around you. And remember to wash your goddess blessed selves. Personal hygiene will keep you from getting sick, and illness kills a heck of a lot more people than trauma.

A final note. Remember in an emergency, YOU are the most important resource available. Don?t rush in to try and save everyone by yourself. You cannot help anyone if you get yourself killed. Make sure it is safe for you, and get help if at all possible

Latest posts