my nice .45 recipe...

Bruno2

Active Fanatic
Be careful loading clays in pistol ammo. It is notorious for pressure spikes. Although there are many recipes on the Hodgdon website their tech support wont recommend it. I buy it by the 8lb keg for my 12 ga loads. So this was the powder that I wanted use and it performs very well in the shoddy , but , like I said their techies wont endorse it. They do however push Titegroup for pistol calibers.

I loaded several rnd with clays and never had any trouble with it. You guys tat shoot competition with it would most likely be the ones that see the difference in pressure.

1911pete1

Active Fanatic
when you refer to clays which one are you referring to? As I understand there are several. I use universal clays in my loading and discovered thru reading that universal clays are just referred to as universal.

Bruno2

Active Fanatic
[quote author=tul9033 link=topic=44.msg290#msg290 date=1284778337]
I use the J&K's 230gr @ 3.8gr of Clay's (plain) and 1.25 OAL, gets me right around 170PF.
Just got 1500 Bear Creek 200gr moly SWC, those things make dimes for holes. Plan to use Titegroup for those, prob 4.8gr at the same 1.25 OAL. A shooting buddy uses that load and they are accurate and virtually smoke free, also around 170PF.
The Bear Creeks were around $40 per 500 and free shipping over $95.
[/quote]

This is the one I am referring to . Hodgdon put out 3 clays powders; Clays , clays Universal, clays international. There was so much confusion with the names that they are now just using the titles w/o the clays at the front. Except for the one called clays. They are now referred to as ;Clays , Universal and International. The powder I am talking about is called Clays.

tul9033

Founding Member
Mike's recipe of 4.0gr of Clays and J&K 230 RN was running over 180 PF in my STI Spartan. I knocked it down to 3.8gr.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
too bad I missed this when it first came up.  A reply now just wouldn't be right.

My nice .45 recipe is 3.7 gr of Clays under a 230gr LRN.  I've been using Mitch's lead with great results.  For 230gr jacketed Zero bullets I bump it up to a 4.0 gr.  They make right at 170pf.
Is this from your revo or an auto?

Phat Mike

Fanatic
:blink: I've been using 4 grains of bullseye under a 230 grain LRN .. been working fine in the ole 1911. :rolleyes:

Latest posts