Multi-Purpose Shotgun

Chasegibson

Well-Known Fanatic
So I am looking into getting a semi auto shotgun but would like to be able to use it for hunting(upland and waterfowl) as well as for competition/home defense. My main question: is a 24" barrel sufficient for hunting purposes? My thinking is if I test my patterning with different chokes/loads and find the best one for the distances I'll be hunting at then it should work just fine. Will there be a dramatic difference in muzzle velocity between a 24" and 28" barrel that could affect its capabilities hunting?

The particular shotgun I'm looking at is the Beretta 1301 competition with a 24" barrel.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If you're a good shot you can hunt with anything. The turkey, goose and pheasant loads that are available now are capable of just about anything despite choke selection.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
What are you planning to hunt? I hunt deer and hogs with my compitition shotgun. I just take off the XRail and put on the regular tube and plug it.

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
I do most of my hunting with a 21 inch M2. Upland or waterfowl doesn't matter. That short barrel sure is nice when you are walking miles of field. I think you would do just fine with a 24 inch barrel.

dennishoddy

I do a lot of hunting with a 19" barrel on a Rem 1100, cylinder bore. (The barrel had to be cut down...it's a long story. )
I reload shotshells, so for that gun its 1 1/4 oz loads. More pellets to fill in on the big pattern. 1400fps.
When quail hunting, I like to call it my covey gun. [emoji6]

For most shotgun hunting on bigger birds I use a SXS or an OU.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Personally, I would get a barrel length that matches as closely as possible to the mag tube extension.

dennishoddy

Mitch Gibson said:
Shotgun muzzle velocity doesn't ramp up more and more with a longer and longer barrel.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179457
Kurts right. Its well known that most shotgun powders have done all they can do in the first 18" of barrel length. Past that he is right again that the shot starts moving away from the wad because the pressure is starting to drop off.
All that being said, It's said that the longer barrels give a better sight plane. Most Competition SG shooters go with longer barrels, be it trap, sporting clays or 3 gun for the most part.
"covey guns don't have a place in that field. :D

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I don't know all the science behind it, but I trust Kurt in all things shotgun.
I've seen my 26" with light mod choke reach out to farther steel with more knockdown power than guys running 21" with same choke.

jtischauser

Matt Rigsby said:
I don't know all the science behind it, but I trust Kurt in all things shotgun.
Except for the whole loading thing.

Matt Rigsby said:
I've seen my 26" with light mod choke reach out to farther steel with more knockdown power than guys running 21" with same choke.
That's a fact jack. Think I read somewhere it has to do with pattern disruption or lack there of from longer versus shorter barrels but I couldn't say for certain. I have a 21, 24, & 26" barrel gun now. Sounds like a good topic for a video.

Chasegibson

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the help everyone.

Jesse I think that'd be an awesome video. Main thing that I'd be concerned with is the patterning of the different length barrels at various distances. James Yeager(love him or hate him) did a pretty detailed series on shotgun barrel length that I found pretty solid, but that was with remington shotguns and more "tactical" focused using only buck shot.

jtischauser

Chasegibson said:
Thanks for the help everyone.

Jesse I think that'd be an awesome video. Main thing that I'd be concerned with is the patterning of the different length barrels at various distances. James Yeager(love him or hate him) did a pretty detailed series on shotgun barrel length that I found pretty solid, but that was with remington shotguns and more "tactical" focused using only buck shot.
I've patterned my guns before and although it is informative the real story is what choke/distance/load combo makes a certain size/shape target fall down.

jtischauser

Chasegibson said:
No-one shooting down my plans of getting a 1301? Does anyone have experience with one?
I haven't followed the 1301 at all but I haven't heard a single person say "don't buy one" or "I had issues and sold mine" like I've heard with the VM, and JM. Beretta makes really nice semi auto shotguns IMHO.

If I wasn't lazy and already comfortable with my Benellis id like to put one through its paces.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Chasegibson said:
No-one shooting down my plans of getting a 1301? Does anyone have experience with one?
I have a beretta a400 duck gun with the kickoff system. Flawless functioning, even when filthy. Recoil is less than a 20 gauge. I let ladies shoot it, that have very little experience with gun, and all are amazed that it didn't kick more. My nephew prefers it to his 20 gauge 870.

I recently got a versamax sportsman that I worked over for 3 gun. I was surprised how much harder the versamax kicked than the a400, more muzzle flip also. The a400 also has a very large palm swell that I've become accustomed to, that all other shotguns lack. It just fits me well.

I will run this versamax until someone wants to buy it off me at a match or I save up enough for another beretta.

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
Chasegibson said:
I run a 24" as my competition gun (3GN). I very happy with it and all I did was open up the load port and stick a Nordic tube on it.

The recoil is between a M2 and a Versamax. I also like the longer fore-end than the M2.

I would say get the 24"

Running it at our recent nationals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qQwLGcEU0

It also shoots slugs very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiqQbWQsaFU

ASH556

Active Fanatic
Some guys have issues with the "auto unload" feature on the 1301. The 930 does the same thing, though. It can create a very knarly malfunction where 1.5 rounds are out of the mag tube and both the bolt and lifter are locked. I saw it happen to a guy once mid-stage. I know of a guy making a modified lifter that prevents the issue. Just FYI.