Mossberg 930 JM Pro Review

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a request for an update on how my new Mossberg JM Pro 22" Shotgun was treating me, so here goes.

I've had it for 5 months now, and learned a lot about competition shotgunning and why I'm still terrible, HINT, it's not the shotguns fault. I've run about 1,358 total rounds through the 930. It breaks down to 1,280 bird shot, 47 slugs, and 31 buck. The bird shot is mostly all Federal bulk pack, but some Winchester bulk, from Walmart. The slugs and buck have been the Fiocchi low recoil stuff. I have had a total of zero gun related malfunctions. It has cycled everything just fine. The only issues I've had are with about 5 rounds out of 1,000 or more Federal bulk shotshells. Every once and a while you will get a factory crimp that kinda protrudes or bulges out to one side. This was catching the chamber on the way in and jamming. I stuffed them back in the magazine tube and they fed on the second try. I don't think that is a gun issue, perhaps I could be mistaken. The only changes I've made to the gun are taking off the barrel clamp, adding an extended Briley LM choke, and putting in the large shim for the buttstock to drop it so I didn't see a giant landing strip of vent rib, only the FO front sight. I did have problems at first with the lifter biting my thumb. I was entirely new to this type of shotgun and loading. After 5 months of practice I am now at 7.5 to 8 seconds pretty consistently loading 8 shells weakhand, and not ever having my thumb bitten. Been a few months since it happened last. Not to say it can't, but decent fundamentals make it tough to screw up. I don't plan to have the lifter welded at this time. If it bites me at a match and I loose because of it I may change my mind. I have run this shotgun in several local matches, and used it for a class put on by Mr. Kurt Miller himself a few months back. I have been nothing but pleased with my purchase thus far. It seems to need cleaning every 300 or so rounds. It has never failed due to dirtiness, but the piston area gets pretty dirty and can be a pain to clean if you let it go much longer than that. If I keep her lubed she keeps shootin'.

I can't make any real comparisons to other shotguns like the Benelli, FN, VersaMax or the like. I don't have experience with those guns. I bought this one because it came mostly ready to run for $571.00 to my FFL. I did not have the funds for a more expensive shotgun. I know Kirk Smith has been playing with the CZ 712 for 3gun. It has an attractive price tag as well, but will require a bit of work and add ons to get it going. For someone looking to try 3gun like I was, and not wanting to break the bank on a shotgun to try the sport, I think this is a great "out of the box" gun to start on. Maybe Kirk has some experience with the JM Pro 930's and give a more head to head comparison on price and capability.
Thanks guys, Brandon.

Pic right after getting it home.
Mossberg017.jpg

My first 3gun match with almost no experience with the gun, or how to load. Also I was running late for my own birthday, and trying to hurry and leave. Don't laugh. I've gotten better.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Great review Brandon. I like the gun and the price. Is the 10 shot version the same price?

Do you mind me asking where you got yours ?

Feegee

The Magic Man
Like most of you know I have the 930 SPX it is pretty close to the JM, and I love it and have never had any problems with it. It is rock solid, but they don't like the cheep bulk Winchester shells (because the extractor rips the back of the case). I am pretty sure mine is semi-pro approved also cause Chambers said that is the only Mossberg he has ever seen run good!

Sent from (NULL) Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
Great review Brandon. I like the gun and the price. Is the 10 shot version the same price?

Do you mind me asking where you got yours ?

I picked this one up from Bud'sgunshop.com. I believe the two models are very similar if not the same price. I do kinda wish I had gotten the 24" version. Oh well, gives me a reason to buy an extended tube from Nordic Components. I forgot to add that I did stipple the grip so when loading I don't have the weight of the gun pulling down on my strong hand and causing me to loose grip. Works well. I will post some more pics tonight if I have time.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
Adding some pics taken tonight. Showing the slight changes made to the Mossberg.

2012-09-26192218.jpg

After many reloads.
2012-09-26192301.jpg

Stippling done by yours truly.
2012-09-26192339.jpg

2012-09-26192358.jpg

Last pic here shows my whole setup. Loki 3g rifle with 18" nitrided barrel and Nickel Boron BCG. Glock 34 with Dawson FO front and adjustable target rear sights, same stippling as the shotgun, finger grooves removed, JP magwell, Ghost 3.5lb connector. And of course the aforementioned Mossberg.
2012-09-26194338.jpg

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
The JM uses mossbergs accu chokes. I tried the chokes that came with my 500 and they work in my JM as well.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
FYI, Lena Miculek just won a World Championship in Ladies Standard Division using this gun at the IPSC World Shotgun Championship. I wonder if it was a stock model :)

robkroupa

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the review on this, it's pretty high on my list of shotguns I'm looking at getting for possible 3 gun use.

robkroupa

Well-Known Fanatic
That's what it looks like. I'd love to start off with a Benelli worked over by Accurate Iron or something equally as badass but budget wise it's just not going to happen. I'm just hoping the 930 JM's start getting a little easier to get a hold of.

jackson923

Well-Known Fanatic
Why did you remove the barrel/tube clamp? Just courious because I thought about it but then wondered if the weight of the rounds would cause it to can't and not feed correctly. It took me a couple of time to get the hang of loading without catching my thumb. My biggest problem was that I sometimes didn't push the round in far enough and then it would kick back under the spring tension. I took my Dremel and ground down the little area where the Mossberg 90 stamping is, i made it like a feed ramp so i wouldn't have a problem feeding rounds.

Latest posts