Mossberg 930 - Jerry Miculek edition

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Can anyone explain why most manufacturers have the lifter cut away like that so it can chew on thumbs? Seems like the way everyone has it welded should be how they should all be from the factory.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
Can anyone explain why most manufacturers have the lifter cut away like that so it can chew on thumbs? Seems like the way everyone has it welded should be how they should all be from the factory.

I don't know. Maybe it's easier to see if you have one in the mag tube if there is a notch cut out in the front?

Chambers

actual GM

So it will feed. When the lifter is up, the shell rests in the cutout on the lifter, centering it with the bore.

Which is why using a welded lifter requires some tweaking/chamber work.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
So it will feed. When the lifter is up, the shell rests in the cutout on the lifter, centering it with the bore.

Which is why using a welded lifter requires some tweaking/chamber work.

That makes sense but still they could make it square across the front but just cup it slightly so the shell still self centers. Or I'm sure there's a bunch of other ways to make it work reliably and cheap but not have the thumb eater.

Chambers

actual GM
They could, but they won't!

Path of least resistance...they would hear more about guns not feeding from people who don't care how fast they are to load!

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
One of the concept guns built for Mossberg to study (which finally came to be the JM Tactical series shotgun) had a welded lifter amoung a few other things that they didn't incorporate in the "new " gun. They did get the trigger right however. The reasoning is that it doesn't make sense to have a different lifter for just one gun in a whole line of guns that use the same lifter. While it is relativly easy to do add on stuff, like Nordic and Hi-Vis it is darn hard to change a stamped piece of metal for just one limited line of guns. That would entail a whole new engineering study, a new die for the stamp, etc. Chambers is exactly right, it just isn't cost effective.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Kurt that die (or dies) would cost several thousand dollars AFTER they got the design they wanted. (not including the engineering/design cost)

For how many guns to be sold? You are exactly right, they would never come even remotely close to recouping their investment. But I still don't know why about 30 seconds on a buffing wheel is out of the question. Not a dig at Mossberg as they all cheap out on this. They might still pinch, but they wouldn't poke and draw blood if they would just knock the sharp off and smooth the edges. Oh well, then we couldn't pester Accurate Ron so it's all good I guess....

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
I understand not wanting to invest the time and money for the engineering required to do the special lifter in house. Why not contract with someone (like C-Rums) to modify the lifters for this specialized shotgun. They could send 500 lifters to build them to their adjusted specs with minimal investment.

Many gun companies already do this on other pieces. And I'm not just referring to the company that makes the preferred shotgun for 3Gun. Pistol manufacturers do the same thing. I believe Springer Precision makes the triggers for the Springfield Custom Shop XD's. There was some discussion on Enos about Springer aluminum triggers not being classified as OEM, but they are the same triggers as the custom shop guns. Since the aluminum Springer Precison triggers are not sold by Springfield, they are not allowed in production unless you drop the extra bucks on the custom shop pistol.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I just picked up one of these. What's the latest on their performance? I heard a rumor that Jerry is running some sub 1000 fps loads through his regularly. Anybody have any success like that?

andrsnsm

Well-Known Fanatic
I just picked up one of these. What's the latest on their performance? I heard a rumor that Jerry is running some sub 1000 fps loads through his regularly. Anybody have any success like that?

Where did you find one and would you consider it a better choice than a CZ 712 Utility (with NC mag extension of course$

Jesses not getting this gun until I eyeball it for a little bit.
Of course its a 3gun ready gun, so I doubt ill have to do anything to it....

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't believe you said you had one of these Jesse :O was it a weak moment or was it a bad bet you lost LOL Later,

Kirk

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Hmm this is one of those I need to shoot lists, so can I borrow this before you sell it? Lol

ShikiShabazz

Well-Known Fanatic
Paid $571.00 for it on Budsgunshop.com. I picked it up on Tuesday of this week and have 200 rds through it now. All 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot cheap federal and winchester loads. So far no issues except that super hungry lifter. Let your guard down and it will bite you. I have no experience with any of the other competition shotguns, benelli, fn, etc., so a direct comparison is out of my realm of capabilities. However I know it shoots very well, the action is smooth and the ergonomics fit me like a glove. I was slaying the clays today with my two brother in laws. I have shot clays twice in the last 10 yrs. I used to all the time in my late teen years but that has been a while. So far for my first semi-auto shotgun I am very pleased. Once I get the lifter fixed it should serve as a great beginner 3 gun shotgun, and it will be a long time before I will need to upgrade because the gun holds me back in any significant way. I think this may represent one of the highest values or bang for the buck guns in the world of 3 gun. Just my 2 cents. Brandon.

Mossberg017.jpg

Mossberg020.jpg

Man I think I like that, good price too.

Latest posts