Moon clip mod

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey guys, I've a question that I really don't know the answer too so just thought I'd ask. Been kicking around the idea of a 38 Special but like the idea of moon clips since playing with a 625 it was a fun time. So to the question, how much do you think it would cost to modify to where I could use the moon clips? or should I just scrap the idea and find me a 625? Opinions are most appreciated! Later,

Kirk

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I would ask the purpose and which frame size / grip and trigger stroke you like best? Easy to make PF with the 45ACP though it is not difficult to make PF with a 38 if you reload. What game are you wanting to play? Do you have th e38 already? If so does it shoot well and do you like it? etc.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
It is soooo much easier dropping in six rounds of .45ACP than .38 Special that I would by no means consider using one. .45ACP practically climbs into the cylinder for you, all you have to do is let go.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
This would just be something to play with, doubt it would be for comps but might be fun to go play from time to time.

Mitch, oh yea just toss the 45 at the cylinder and they fall in! I could load the 625 as fast as a singlestack 80% of the time and when the planets lined up I could load faster.

The pistol I was thnking about is a SW mod 10, the pistol I learned to shoot with and I reload just easier to pick up the brass on moonclips. All my stuff isn't for competition as I do other things also, I'm not all about comps even though I rather enjoy the comps. Later,

Kirk

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Well it would be novel but then if you are not going to use it for comp you can dump the empties into a bag or box and then you don't have to de-moon.

If you want a 635 you ought to PM me aboout that M10.

Best with your search.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
A guy with speedloaders and a 686 whipped every iron sighted gun at the irc this weekend.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Chris, the is nothing speed about me and those speedloaders! don't know why but my mind can not make them work like they are supposed too. Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I think the moon clip idea would be the best solution to what I'm after, the speedloaders would be the most simple fix but I'd still be dumping brass all over the place! the moon clips you just pick up and have all your brass and they load easier at least for me that is. Later,

Kirk

kaiserb

Well-Known Fanatic
Just buy 100 or so moonclips, keep them clean, inspect them before you load them up and have fun. 100% of the time when I drop a full moon clip the bullets stay in place, about 10% of the time when I drop a comp III the bullets stay in place.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Just buy 100 or so moonclips, keep them clean, inspect them before you load them up and have fun. 100% of the time when I drop a full moon clip the bullets stay in place, about 10% of the time when I drop a comp III the bullets stay in place.

What cha dropping live ammo for? :O

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Evidently you have never seen me shoot a revolver match. When I used to shoot ICORE about 10 years ago, I dropped more ammo than I got in the gun.

Well I never tried to "throw" rounds into a cyl so I can not speak on that. However, some folks can do a mighty fine job of it.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
My only concern with doing that with a .38/.357 is that you can't really shoot without the clips then. I have a mdl 22 .45 acp, and for range fun, I don't really care for using the moon clips.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=38%20special%20moon%20clips&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CHEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftenring.com%2Fservices%2F&ei=eMDPT9f1IoLE2wXUv-nTDA&usg=AFQjCNFKzp0E2mumHe6NB7SzEpPIaM7HOg these folks do a conversion that allows loose round loading.

Maybe I missed somthing ...but that other shop linked above indicates you can single load their conversion in 38/357. I've thought about doing such a thing for a while... but I'd do it on a donor cylinder for a spare. Older SW are appreciating in value

Latest posts