Mech Tech in 1911/45

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome to the forum.

I'm looking for a 45acp SBR.
I think I will pull the trigger on this one.

12114i_ts.jpg

nod

Active Fanatic
Welcome to the forum.

I'm looking for a 45acp SBR.
I think I will pull the trigger on this one.

View attachment 34100
Yep, I surely would love to have one of those!!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Haven't looked @ any 45 acp PPC's, ...are they all that expensive ?
I've seen posts on CMMG products before, but have no experience with them., I recall they were favorable.
I bought a PSA AR-9 PPC that is better than I would have expected, considering the price point...it's quite accurate.
If I bought another PPC, I think I'd get one in 10 mm rather than a 45.. JMO..

If you follow thru with a purchase, please post a "shooter-review", after you put some rds thru it.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
CMMG stuff fairly pricey but all I've seen which is just a bunch of videos, seem to be very good, always wanted to shoot a 45 ppc, haven't had the chance, did shoot a Keltec sub 2000 in 40, I was shocked at how hard the recoil was, wouldn't want to shoot one in 10mm if they come out with one, that 40 between light weight, straight blowback and stock like a chisel I should have expected some punch, anyway if you get the CMMG should be fun

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The only thing stopping me now is the Mag style ( Glock ) that they have for the 45 acp.
I like the 9mm style using the AR mag tube & so far they do not offer the Banshee in 45 acp with the AR mag.

I wrote them & they said they would consider it. The model with the Glock mag is am modified AR receiver
not the AR receiver.

If you want one with the AR receiver just drop them an email. Who knows they may just make one & I can spend 2 grand for
another gun. Damn I sure could buy a lot of guns back in the 90s for $2,000 :oops:

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Man that's the truth! But today vs 2020 can still do okish, when I was 18-19 my dad had a Western Auto store, bought an SKB SxS for 185 bucks, early married with kids days sold for 400, now nice used one 2500 give or take, I think it was a 200E with silver looking engraved receiver, made in Japan, this mid 70's

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My wife wasn't impressed when I told her I needed a Banshee.
I Know LOL.

Lindsay Lohan Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The beginning of January I put in an order for a pretty much stock Nighthawk Customs. $4250.00 and a 18 - 24 month wait.
Wow! I guess that's what runaway inflation has done to the economy. I looked at a brand new Baer Thunder Ranch 1911 in 02 or 03 super sweet gun price $1800.00. Told my ex and she immediately asked why was I ever lookking at an $1800.00 gun? I said it was probably the only time I'd ever hold one. She was not impressedo_O You will notice I said Ex lol.

dennishoddy

Haven't looked @ any 45 acp PPC's, ...are they all that expensive ?
I've seen posts on CMMG products before, but have no experience with them., I recall they were favorable.
I bought a PSA AR-9 PPC that is better than I would have expected, considering the price point...it's quite accurate.
If I bought another PPC, I think I'd get one in 10 mm rather than a 45.. JMO..

If you follow thru with a purchase, please post a "shooter-review", after you put some rds thru it.
Another vote for the 10mm!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
An alternative no one's mentioned, so I'll throw this out. Anyone looked at ? or owned a Bear Creek Arsenal AR ?

Read about them, wanted to try a side-charging AR, so I bought one in 7.62 X 39. After owning it for awhile, discovered a few draw-backs with a side-charger.
1) you need am allen wrench to remove the BCG..the charging handle is held on with one, & you can't remove the BCG with it attached.
Not a big deal, unless you're @ the range, need to remove the BCG for some reason, & don't have the correct size allen wrench with you. Since I disassembled the rifle for cleaning after I purchased it, I made sure to put an allen wrench of the correct size in my range bag. Surest way NOT to need it..

2) I use a brass catcher on all my AR's.. I'm a reloader / hand loader, I always collect my brass. A brass catcher keeps me from having to track down my brass, as well as avoiding having to bend over to pick it up. I'm unable to mount / use the brass catcher I use on my other AR's on the side-charger, as the charging handle would strike against the frame of the brass catcher. Fitting a ball cap around my scope rings allows the brass to fall into the cap, then on the ground, where I can pick them up. Not as good as my usual brass catcher.. but it keeps me from having to chase it down or look for cases in the grass.

MY BCA carbine in 7.62 X 39 has been completely reliable , and I'd say the accuracy is at the same level of my PSA upper in the same caliber.
It's one of the top 3 AR's in accuracy, of all the calibers I own , having several in 223/5.56, 7.62 X39, .308, 9mm, & 22 rf.

Checked their site,& BCA has AR's in 45 acp & 10mm.. in pistol barrel length & carbines. Prices are around $ 600.. so BCA might be an option for you.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got several 556 on PSA lowers, side charging and bcg and charging handle work just fine, haven't checked out pcc's but probably pretty good

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow! I guess that's what runaway inflation has done to the economy. I looked at a brand new Baer Thunder Ranch 1911 in 02 or 03 super sweet gun price $1800.00. Told my ex and she immediately asked why was I ever lookking at an $1800.00 gun? I said it was probably the only time I'd ever hold one. She was not impressedo_O You will notice I said Ex.
For the record the split had nothing to do with the afore mentioned subject.

Last edited:

nod

Active Fanatic
Wow! I guess that's what runaway inflation has done to the economy. I looked at a brand new Baer Thunder Ranch 1911 in 02 or 03 super sweet gun price $1800.00. Told my ex and she immediately asked why was I ever lookking at an $1800.00 gun? I said it was probably the only time I'd ever hold one. She was not impressedo_O You will notice I said Ex lol.

In 2003 I bought a new Les Baer PII with the 1 1/2 guarantee for $1500.00 and some change. At one point I also had the TRS but foolishly let it get away. I still have the PII. The first in a long list of high end 1911s that I own/have owned. Lot of dollars wasted.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
" Lot of dollars wasted." Curious .. why do you say wasted ?
Did you enjoy them while owning them ?
I don't consider any $ I've spent on a firearm as money wasted..
Then again , I haven't bitten the custom-built 19111 bug, having never owned a Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk. Alchemy, etc...

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I paid $1,000 for a NIB Colt 1975 MKIV Series 70.
Then changed the trigger to a Long 0 over travel, & the MSH to flat checkered
with a 1911 wide spur hammer. Handles like a NM.

That's as high as I will go for a 1911.
Crypto Nft GIF by Digital Pratik

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
You reach a point where the bang for buck just stops, I get it though if you want a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, whatever and it doesn't put you in the poor house go for it, I know I've mentioned this before so apologies, my dream 1911 a Wilson Combat CQB in 9mm but once I got my Desert Eagle and my buddy went through it completely, installed Dawson fiber optic sights, after a year or so had it black nitrided, around 1300-1400 into it, there was no way I could do any better with a Wilson