M&P 9mm

Stiglitz

Fanatic
I'm thinking about making my first handgun purchase this weekend. I've noticed there are a few of you all that own M&P's.

Can you guys fill me in how yall like it? Cheapest price to get them around the okc metro? I got quoted at big boys for $489

I've watched a ton of videos and did some research and it was between this and a glock.

All opinions and advice appreciated.

bboswell

Well-Known Fanatic
Suggest you go to range where you can shoot the Gluck, I mean Glock, next to the M&P.

For me, no question the M&P felt more natural, pointed better, and if you want to make improvements, several gunsmiths have told me they prefer the M&P trigger and feel they have more ability to tune it to the customers preference.

Between my son and I, we own 4. The two Pro's we shoot in competition. Mine has had at least 15,000 rounds down range without a hiccup, my son has about 10,000 rounds done his barrel, with maybe a half dozen failures to extract, all of those with reloaded ammo, so may have been my fault and not the gun.

Good luck to you. M&P or Glock, you cant go wrong, they are both excellent. But keep in mind, the hardware is easy to purchase, while the software is the most important. Spend the money to get some professional coaching. Not sure where in the city, but plenty of shooters from OKC come to Tulsa and get world class instruction and phenomenal shooting facility at USSA. A two day class or one day of private lessons will cost about the same and are far more important than the actual gun purchase.

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
Just like Brook said you need to go rent a few guns and try them out. I'm just the opposite. I had a M&P and I never could find a grip on it I liked. I didn't care for the trigger either. Glock fits me perfect other than the finger grooves, but that is an easy fix. What ever you decide on check with Tommy at Sooner State Pawn. If he doesn't have it he can order it and has the best prices in OKC on new and used guns

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
M&P has much better ergonomics and a better trigger. I'm not 100% sold on the reliability versus a Glock, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for competing. I had a M&P40c, and it was an awesome gun, but I only put 200 rounds through it before selling it to finance my competition guns and gear. My brother shoots the M&P in Production, and while it has had good performance, it had two broken strikers within 1000 rounds of each other. My G17 has never had a mechanical issue, and has had two stoppages: one was a brass case that split at the head and caused a jam; the other was me transitioning the gun into the path of a piece of falling brass, which fell into the slide during the closing portion of it's cycle. I'm not sure how many rounds are through it, but at least 8K are from me.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
R u Gonna use it for carry or competition. The competition guys like the M&P 9 Pro or 9L. It's the 5" version. Make sure u check with the guys at Sooner State Pawn too. They r a forum sponsor and have great prices too.

If u come to a match there are a bunch of Glocks & M&P's that guys will let u try for free. You're welcome to shoot my Glocks in the match if you like. I have holsters and mag pouches too.

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
For me, I couldn't compare the shooting side of both guns, I like the way they both shoot, but you can do more to a Glock as far as aftermarket parts than you can an M&P. The thing I can say about the M&P is when I pick it up, no other guns feels as good as the M&P in the hands. You have to go and find out for yourself, it's just like the Ford and Chevy argument. Fords suck.

jtischauser

For me, I couldn't compare the shooting side of both guns, I like the way they both shoot, but you can do more to a Glock as far as aftermarket parts than you can an M&P. The thing I can say about the M&P is when I pick it up, no other guns feels as good as the M&P in the hands. You have to go and find out for yourself, it's just like the Ford and Chevy argument. Fords suck.

You had a "like" coming until that last sentence.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I know I'm gonna get hammered on this but...................

I've seen more double feeds and mags not dropping free in matches with Glocks than anything else. Can't really recall ever seeing these issues with the M&Ps and certainly not mine. I just went through TDSA'a AP1 last weekend. Before the class my gun was dirty. I field stripped it, ran a patch or two through the bore, gave it a quick wipe, put some slide glide on the frame rails and went to class. Shot about 1300 cast lead bullet loads over two days, no cleaning at all, the second day in the rain. Dropped my mags in the mud countless times, shaked them off and recharged them and kept shooting. Not so much as a bobble. My M&P mags don't need no stinking Armorall!

:tease:

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
I for one sold my mp 9mm to buy a glock 34. I love my new glock and picked up a glock 19 to carry. Only you can decide. Both are great options.

bboswell

Well-Known Fanatic

I guess since it takes so many more parts and effort to make a Glock work and feel as good as an M&P out of the box, totally makes sense more stuff available. So let me rephrase, both great guns, but with the Gluck, you get to buy more aftermarket parts to get it where it runs as good as an M&P, which also helps our economy get back on track. So buy a foreign made gun, then spend more on accessories, but please make sure those are Made in the USA. OR, buy American made M&P.

jtischauser

The Glocks have a lower bore axis which makes the sights flip less than an MP. Glock parts are cheaper because they have been around since well I don't know how long. 25 years isn't it? MP's do look and feel the best in the hand though.

Marks45ACP

Well-Known Fanatic
I am a new member and have also been looking at the M&P 9 - Pro Series - took the advice on here and checked with Sooner State Pawn and they have the best prices on nearly everything! They also take in trades & give decent prices for those as well!

jtischauser

Tommy and his crew ROCK HARD! Make sure to busy their balls for not coming out and shooting some matches with us.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess since it takes so many more parts and effort to make a Glock work and feel as good as an M&P out of the box, totally makes sense more stuff available. So let me rephrase, both great guns, but with the Gluck, you get to buy more aftermarket parts to get it where it runs as good as an M&P, which also helps our economy get back on track. So buy a foreign made gun, then spend more on accessories, but please make sure those are Made in the USA. OR, buy American made M&P.

Make a Glock work? I'll give an example of the degree Glocks are held to. My first major match I let my slide rub a barricade which slowed my slide down yada yada yada. As soon as the range was clear TGO ran over and, demanded if that was a Glock and what happened. Glocks sometimes will have a problem. Any of the Glocks I have sold or have except for a NIB 35 and a used 23 I have only ran a couple mags through have multiple times more rounds through them then has been mentioned here and at times no cleaning for a couple of months of near constant shooting. I went over 5000 rounds when I had the chance to see if the hype that was being written was true - all this in the desert. Make a Glock work? Please don't insult anyone or mislead others. Until such test have been performed with other pistils over many test samples and documented we don't know if any are as good as a Glock, but we do know they run and there are no serious problems with them that have came to the attention of the shooting public. I recommend Glocks, XDs and M&Ps as well as the 39/59 series, CZ and Sigs. Though for me Glock is what I use and believe in. A Glock is not for everyone and I am mature enough to know this and wise enough to suggest to try before one buys. I let others make their choices based hopefully on their shooting experiences with different platforms/makes & models. Not mislead

Which is better for the shooter depends on the shooter. Many at my old club started with Glocks and moved to XDs. There are many more XDs in W TX and e NM than M&Ps and they run as well, so don't over look the XD line.

To make a Glock competitive you shoot it. To make it better, sights. To tune it - recoil spring. To be cool add a mag well. You don't have to tune Glock mags nor be a fanatic cleaning them between each stage (conditions depending of course) like some mags. Glock even makes a factory 22 round 40 mag supporting the competition shooters. Glock further promotes the shooting sport with GSSF which doesn't make their pistol better but shows the company is behind shooting.

As stated Glocks have a lower bore axis. Does this matter some would say yes and physics would as well, but my favorite 45 I don't own anymore is a Sig 220 which has a high bore axis.

As stated shoot as many as you can and make an informed decision.

Ref mags there are many that are versions of the Glock mag and AFA seeing a double feed because a mag did not drop free hummmm Love to see it, but never have. I also don't understand. If you are changing mags then why is the gun cycling? And how does it double feed with a single cycle and a slightly lower mag? Like I stated would like to see it, Sounds more operator induced to me than a gun related problem or weak mag springs which is a general maintenance issue I have seen the Glock shake :) and used to be good at it until drop free mags came out. I even used to have my 26s mags drop free when i was shooting it all the time, but in CCW match last yr after not shooting it for a great while I had my hand in the way - my fault not the guns.

Anyway to the OP shoot-em and decide. All three series are good pistols.

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
You had a "like" coming until that last sentence.
For me, I couldn't compare the shooting side of both guns, I like the way they both shoot, but you can do more to a Glock as far as aftermarket parts than you can an M&P. The thing I can say about the M&P is when I pick it up, no other guns feels as good as the M&P in the hands. You have to go and find out for yourself, it's just like the Ford and Chevy argument. CHEVY's suck.

It was a typo, I must have been using an Iphone...

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
I know I'm gonna get hammered on this but...................

I've seen more double feeds and mags not dropping free in matches with Glocks than anything else. Can't really recall ever seeing these issues with the M&Ps and certainly not mine. I just went through TDSA'a AP1 last weekend. Before the class my gun was dirty. I field stripped it, ran a patch or two through the bore, gave it a quick wipe, put some slide glide on the frame rails and went to class. Shot about 1300 cast lead bullet loads over two days, no cleaning at all, the second day in the rain. Dropped my mags in the mud countless times, shaked them off and recharged them and kept shooting. Not so much as a bobble. My M&P mags don't need no stinking Armorall!

:tease:

Being able to shoot lead bullets out of the M&P was probably the deciding factor choosing between the Glock and M&P.

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
Lots of people shoot lead out of factory glock barrels. May or may not be the best thing to do but it's not going to stop me.

Stiglitz

Fanatic
R u Gonna use it for carry or competition. The competition guys like the M&P 9 Pro or 9L. It's the 5" version. Make sure u check with the guys at Sooner State Pawn too. They r a forum sponsor and have great prices too.

If u come to a match there are a bunch of Glocks & M&P's that guys will let u try for free. You're welcome to shoot my Glocks in the match if you like. I have holsters and mag pouches too.

Sorry for the delay of response everyone.

As far as competition or protection. Honestly I want to do both. I've never really competed but im looking into it as it seems to be a lot of fun. So maybe a "starter" competition pistol?

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry for the delay of response everyone.

As far as competition or protection. Honestly I want to do both. I've never really competed but im looking into it as it seems to be a lot of fun. So maybe a "starter" competition pistol?

I use my m&p for both. And love it nothing feels like it or as good as it. I have bigger hands but when I close them they don't make the shape of a brick. There is something to be said about the m&ps ergonomics. Points and shoots like an extention of me unless I'm trying to out run myself

Latest posts