M&P 9mm or 40 for all around/3 gun ?

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
I am considering buying a m&p.....I have been shooting a single stack 1911 45 acp...love it hate reloading/carrying so many mags.., I have a high cap 1911 in 40 that is coming later this year, my question is have been thinking about buying an m&p in 9mm or 40 for an all around gun, and I was thinking maybe I could use it in 3 gun for a while to help my capacity issue until my other gun is ready.....my question is which caliber would you recomend, I was leaning towards 9mm but curious what most of you prefer running.

Additionally, is it an issue if you buy the version without the slide safety? is it required for competition??

backer

Well-Known Fanatic
If your really want higher capacity and want our for 3 gun I would get the 9mm. If you decide to shoot a few pistol matches just take of your magazine base pads and shoot production.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I own the m&p9 w/o the thumb safety. I love it. I chose 9mm due to price of ammo. I would like a .40 for many reasons like limited, and more power! But the capacity of the 9mm is 17+1 which is nice. This weekend with a little luck ill shoot my ?&p9 in 3gun !

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
You can get the taylor freelance basepads for the m&p 9 that hold 22...not too bad

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
awesome guys....thats what I wanted to hear, I think I am going to go that route....goin to look when I get off work

Schuster

Well-Known Fanatic
If you get a full size M&P40 then it opens you up to several divisions. I started out using mine shooting limited with the TF mag extension and then went to production. I would still shoot it, but got a 9mm pro a few months back and like the longer sight radius. My next purchase is going to be a 40 pro with the hope they get it in the list very soon. 40 minor is super soft and better for shooting steel. Just my opinion.

Latest posts