Looking for some help and advice on choosing a rifle scope

JGoodman

Fanatic
Hey guys!

[SIZE=15.3333px]I'm new here and wanted your help and advice on choosing my first scope. I’m looking for something that's good for around 200-300 yards.[/SIZE]

I’m sick of using my friend's gun and scope, so I’ve already purchased a rifle (Marlin X7) but I want to put some more research into scopes so thought I would ask you lovely people.

I’ve seen some great options compared on on old threads and am leaning towards the Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn as it seems like a really great buy and its very cheap.

I’ve set myself a budget of $250 for the scope â€" what do you guys recommend?

Thanks ahead for all the help!

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
To be honest, go to academy, they have quite a few mounted on display stocks for you to look through. I am personally in the market for a Nikon 2.5-10x40. That works for my hunting applications. H&H has a sale on the Vortex Copperhead 4-12x44 for 99 dollars. That would net you those distances you want most likely. If you are wanting high magnification, I find that cheap scopes often just do not look clear or have any eye relief left at the higher magnifications, so you will have to spend quite a bit if you are wanting something high end.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
I would definitely try to look through a few before you buy. Folks always told me leoupold was great, and it is good glass, but the eye relief was terrible on the models I viewed until you got into the 400 dollar and up models. Same for the crossfires, the eye relief was too short for my taste and FOV didn't seem all that great until I moved to the Diamondback models. The Nikons seem to have the best eye relief and fov for a lower end price. So you definitely have to try them out as everyones eyes are different.

All I can suggest is do some homework and be patient. I had cheap glass..once. This is an area where you truly get what you pay for in accessories. Not saying you gotta spend a lot but there IS a difference in 200.00 and a 400.00 piece imo

JGoodman

Fanatic
Thanks for all the tips!

I did some more research over the weekend and stumbled across this site whilst google searching for the best scopes: https://tangotactics.com

It seems to have a good explanation in what to look for when choosing a scope and I quite like the sound of the VX-1 as that also comes with a lifetime warranty.

What your guys's thoughts on Leupold scopes? Also Jesse - Its going on a Marlin X7 :)

dennishoddy

I'm not a fan of Leupold scopes. As I move my eye around while looking through the scopes, the cross hairs move off target. Cheap red dots do the same.
A quality scope will keep the cross hairs on the bull no matter where you let your eye wander around while looking through the scope.

JGoodman

Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
I'm not a fan of Leupold scopes. As I move my eye around while looking through the scopes, the cross hairs move off target. Cheap red dots do the same.
A quality scope will keep the cross hairs on the bull no matter where you let your eye wander around while looking through the scope.
Interesting, what would you recommend?

dennishoddy

JGoodman said:
Interesting, what would you recommend?
Big fan of Nikon. I have the Buckmaster on a Savage Smokeless MZ that shoots a 300 grain Hornady SST at 2400 fps. The same as a .416 Rigsby elephant gun.
zero'd it 8 years ago and its never changed.
Nikon coyote on the varmint AR, same story.
Nikon Monarch on the .243WSSM AR platform, same story.
Monarchs on three of the bolt guns that are used for hunting. Same story.
Lifetime no-fault guarantee. $10 shipping

For the record, a lot of folks here really like the Vortex. I've never looked through one, so take my review with that in mind.
I had Leupolds in years past. I don't own any now.

JGoodman

Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
Big fan of Nikon. I have the Buckmaster on a Savage Smokeless MZ that shoots a 300 grain Hornady SST at 2400 fps. The same as a .416 Rigsby elephant gun.
zero'd it 8 years ago and its never changed.
Nikon coyote on the varmint AR, same story.
Nikon Monarch on the .243WSSM AR platform, same story.
Monarchs on three of the bolt guns that are used for hunting. Same story.
Lifetime no-fault guarantee. $10 shipping

For the record, a lot of folks here really like the Vortex. I've never looked through one, so take my review with that in mind.
I had Leupolds in years past. I don't own any now.
Thanks the P-223 seems to come up as a very good scope on a lot of sites like the http://tangotactics.com i linked earlier do you have any expirience with that one?

Also have you ever used a Redfield Revolution ? I've been told its a very good scope and one to consider over a Leupold.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Leupold is rumored to be ending the redfield brand soon.
As far as the P-223 goes, you limit yourself to .223 using it, sure you could put it on something else, but its specifically designed for that round so any hold over points would have to be adjusted for.
For the price you could pick up a nice prostaff 5 or even 7. The p series didn't have great eye relief to me.

dennishoddy

JGoodman said:
Thanks the P-223 seems to come up as a very good scope on a lot of sites like the http://tangotactics.com i linked earlier do you have any expirience with that one?

Also have you ever used a Redfield Revolution ? I've been told its a very good scope and one to consider over a Leupold.
I built an AR last year as a project to see how cheap I could build one. Used parts mostly. Got a total of $400 in it. Keeping with the theme, went with the cheapest fixed 3X P-223 from walmart.
Banging a 12" steel plate at 300 yards is not out of the question using junk ammo. Its a hoser gun made for minute of hallway and out the door of the tractor/combine when the coyotes run alongside looking for rabbits/rats to run out.
I did buy a Timmney trigger for it last month using Jesse's discount code that raised the price of my build, but it really needed it.

JGoodman

Fanatic
Jonathan Waits said:
Leupold is rumored to be ending the redfield brand soon.
As far as the P-223 goes, you limit yourself to .223 using it, sure you could put it on something else, but its specifically designed for that round so any hold over points would have to be adjusted for.
For the price you could pick up a nice prostaff 5 or even 7. The p series didn't have great eye relief to me.
Oh intersting as i heard the P-223 does have great eye releaf, thats one of the plus points Ii read from http://tangotactics.com which is another reason why I was strongly considering it.

Also my friend has stockpiled a whole load of .223 so i was just planning to grab some from him as he likes to buy in bulk to get ammo cheaper and sell it to friends at cost.

dennishoddy said:
I built an AR last year as a project to see how cheap I could build one. Used parts mostly. Got a total of $400 in it. Keeping with the theme, went with the cheapest fixed 3X P-223 from walmart.
Banging a 12" steel plate at 300 yards is not out of the question using junk ammo. Its a hoser gun made for minute of hallway and out the door of the tractor/combine when the coyotes run alongside looking for rabbits/rats to run out.
I did buy a Timmney trigger for it last month using Jesse's discount code that raised the price of my build, but it really needed it.
So what are your thoughts on the P-223 that you bought? I take it its the same Nikon scope that i linked from amazon: http://amzn.to/2h5mtw9?

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
It is listed as 3.6 inches, and looking at it in store it seemed decent but had a price tag on it almost equal to a prostaff 5 2.5-10x40 which had 4 inches, I know .4 doesn't seem like much, but for me it was the right amount for where I naturally put my cheek. So I take it the x7 is a .223 caliber?

The p223 does go on sale quite often and often has free p series rings included.

JGoodman

Fanatic
Jonathan Waits said:
It is listed as 3.6 inches, and looking at it in store it seemed decent but had a price tag on it almost equal to a prostaff 5 2.5-10x40 which had 4 inches, I know .4 doesn't seem like much, but for me it was the right amount for where I naturally put my cheek. So I take it the x7 is a .223 caliber?

The p223 does go on sale quite often and often has free p series rings included.
Thanks!

So guys after a bit more research I feel the best option is to go for a Vortex Crossfire 2, it ticks so many of my boxes, it has a lifetime warranty like leupold and after reading multiple reviews on it many reviewers have said it has the quality of a scope in a much higher price range than it. It even was the best rated scope for the money from http://tangotactics.com.

So yeah i think this is it, I just wanted to get your opinions on it before i push the buy button.

JGoodman

Fanatic
[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Thanks so much for all of your help guys. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]I went and checked out a few scopes over the weekend and tried some of the ones you recommended in my local shop as well and ended up going for the [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Vortex Crossfire 2[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]I felt that this is a really good scope for the money and even the manager of the store said he has one and it has never let him down. It feels leagues greater than the [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]VX1[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] and I think it was slightly nicer to use than the [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]VX2[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] as well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Overall I am very happy with my purchase so thanks again for your help guys[/SIZE]

Latest posts