Long range matches.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, what long range matches are there in Oklahoma or the surrounding areas? I know that Red Castle and OKCGC do some 600 yard matches, and that Red Castle does matches out to 1K twice a year, and I plan to shoot some of those. Does anyone nearby do unknown distance or long range tactical style matches? I know I have heard of several down in Texas, but surely some are done closer. Too bad USSA only has. Single long range bay, and it's only 300, they could run some nice stuff.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
There are two long range matches in Oklahoma listed on the Precision rifle series match list. How or where other than Snipers Hide forum anyone learns about those matches is beyond me. Wish they would post something here for us to see.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
F-Class at OKCGC is monthly as far as I know. I'm planning to get some heavier .223 bullets so I can shoot it. Apparently 55 grainers and such will drift all the way over to another person's target under certain wind conditions. Some people do it with irons, so no point in me not doing it just because I only have a 1-4X scope.

Maybe not quite monthly (it's listed as Prone) --- http://www.okcgunclu...calendar12.html

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
The irons they are using are not typical. Your 4x scope is going to be mighty sporty. A 3" X ring is going to be pretty small at 600.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
I wish there would be more of it here too, but the guy who runs them isn't like us. He's not on the internet. For F-Class the X ring is 1 MOA or 6" at 600, so you don't really need a crazy amount of gear. My friend shot a 16" KISS iron sighted Del-ton AR-15 unsupported and beat several people who were shooting scoped bolt actions off sandbags.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
F Class 10 ring is 6". X ring is 3".

There are some long range tactical matches around. They just are not advertised very well. I know the owner of Surgeon Rifles hosts a couple matches a year at his place. I believe they are unknown distance matches shooting balloons out to 750 yds. I never shot in one of them, but got invited several times. You might get on Surgeon's website and e-mail Preston to see if they still have them.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
The irons they are using are not typical. Your 4x scope is going to be mighty sporty. A 3" X ring is going to be pretty small at 600.
It will probably be extra spicy sporty because I have a 16" barrel, too. I hope I remember to take the compensator off before going out there.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I would call the guys at gene sears and ask.
BJ Bailey should have information.
The matches I made were all word of mouth possibly could be found on snipershide but I do not know.
If the guys at Gene Sears can't help you pm me I will give u more names.
The matches I went to unknown distance UKD were 400-1000yds.
Most targets were 1-2 moa

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I want to hear something to get me excited about going. A little video maybe? Who talks in the phone anymore anyways?

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
That's the thing about LR matches, most do not shoot video and unlike USPSA let's just say it's about like watching the grass grow. I used to shoot a mess of LR but things were just too far away. I've got USPSA and 3-G right here pretty much on my doorstep and about each weekend if I do a little looking. I used to spend a lot of time at Badlands or Bobbies world but for a single guy on a budget those trips just became too much. I'd love to get back into some of the LR but around here there are no ranges that will allow me to really stretch the legs on my rifles, yes OKCGC has 500 meter but do this awhile and that gets boring quick.

What would be awesome is if we could find land close enough to be able to shoot out to at least 1700 yards. I know if I ever get that ticket from the lottery I'd buy up some land and invite everyone over! heck I'd even have steel hung for ya :) Later,

Kirk

Safcpt

Active Fanatic
After reading these post I am coming to the conclusion that there aren't any gun shops in OKC that specialize in long range shooting. I'm really close to buying a Model 12 Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. Been doing a lot of reading on some of the long range forums and one of the guys in my local shop is dabbling in it a little. He's the one told me about the 6.5 CM. I'm talking about tatical and not bench rest. Even considering a class at Tac-Pro in Feb. They have a 2 day class for new shooters.

Safcpt

Active Fanatic
Don't think my limited funds will go very far with Surgeon. Looking for a good out of the box shooter, change stocks get good glass. Hoping to do this for around $2500.00. I hope anyway.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I know of several builds without glass were in the $1000-1300. There are a mess of Savage actioned rifles out there that are well under a grand that shoot lights out so you don't have to spend a mess! biggest trick is to find that guy that put your goodies together like they should be and you'll have a shooter.

The Creedmoor is a cool round but not totally sold, the 6.5mm is a hell of a slick bullet but I'm still a big fan of the 7mm just a bit more weight and to just tosse it out there for an awesome LR round look over the 284 Win :) and not as hard on barrels. Later,

Kirk

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Kirk Smith (ksmirk) said:
I know of several builds without glass were in the $1000-1300. There are a mess of Savage actioned rifles out there that are well under a grand that shoot lights out so you don't have to spend a mess! biggest trick is to find that guy that put your goodies together like they should be and you'll have a shooter.

The Creedmoor is a cool round but not totally sold, the 6.5mm is a hell of a slick bullet but I'm still a big fan of the 7mm just a bit more weight and to just tosse it out there for an awesome LR round look over the 284 Win :) and not as hard on barrels. Later,

Kirk
The guys at the okcgc that are on the US F Class team all shoot 284 win in their personal guns. They had to shoot 6.5x284 while training and when representing the US Team so the coaches would be making the same adjustments to everyones rifles. They did not like the added wind drift they were getting at 1,000 yds with the lighter 6.5 bullets and they chewed up barrels at a much faster rate. They all preferred the 284 win for all of the reasons you listed.

Kirk,

Do you know if they are stuck using 6.5x284 again this time? I know they just announced the US F Class team a couple months ago for the 2013 match, but I didn't see if they had announced what rifle caliber they will be using. I don't know if the team gets to vote on it or not.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
As to what they are shooting I'd be lieing if I said anything! I built my hunting rig on a long action and throated the barrel so I could get full capacity of the case with the 162's, it'll do a number on a whitetail hehe but I've not got to shoot LR in years. I have a 243 that has hit a long way out but dang hard on the barrel so don't shoot it much, the ol' workhouse 308 gets the most use but I think GT has shot it more than I last Saturday than I have in a couple of years :(

Be nice if there was someplace close to actually shoot past 500, kinda boring unless the winds blowing lol I know the 6.5x284 is pure hell on barrels! lucky to get 1300 rounds normally about 1000-1100 before you notice bad things, the 284 I've heard over 2K unless you get it hot and not let the barrel cool. Hard to beat the old tried and true 308, I had over 8K before my first barrel crapped out. Later,

Kirk

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Safcpt said:
Don't think my limited funds will go very far with Surgeon. Looking for a good out of the box shooter, change stocks get good glass. Hoping to do this for around $2500.00. I hope anyway.

Latest posts