Let's see your 1911's

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
Midnight Raver said:
Nice trinity there, Avtomat-Acolyte! :cool:

Never knew that Norinco made 1911s, having a pair obviously means that you like them. Can you tell us a bit about how they are? :ugeek:

(Bill) Wilson (allegedly) used to only customize Colt and Norinco 1911s due to their superior construction to all others.

The parts are forged steel, not cast or injection molded.

Rock. Solid. Gun. It is everything that old, American M1911A1's used to be.

Geezer

Well-Known Fanatic
My Pretty Pony

006_zps194a92f4.jpg

007_zps5dbc461b.jpg

Ritter Gottes

Well-Known Fanatic
Hello All!

I picked up a 1918 mfg. Colt 1911 off Armslist a while back. At some point in it's history someone had nickel plated it, thus kissing any collectors value goodbye. :-( After doing some research I determined that it appears that it has all original/correct parts. The plating was worn off in spots and flaking in other spots so I did some research on the various ways of removing nickel plating and opted to give Brownells room temperature nickel stripper a try and I must say that it does a fantastic job removing the plating. I figured that since it has no real collector's value and would never be considered "original" I would go ahead and do a re-finish project on it to get a more "original" look.
I am quite pleased with the results I must say. I used cold blue on it, but I am thinking of getting it professionally blued in the future. I also am looking at ways to refresh the original grip panels...

Crappy camera pics:

Before: (pimp gun :D )
20140720_152545_zps5a7ea61e.jpg

20140720_150740_zps38a0f290.jpg

20140720_151935_zps0b41ea84.jpg

After stripping and blueing:
(lighting and camera do not do it justice imo!)
20140802_105923_zpsf9ed24ff.jpg

20140802_105732_zpsb21935d7.jpg

20140802_105634_zpsb70a5122.jpg

Cheers!
RG

Ritter Gottes

Well-Known Fanatic
jfeenin said:
Sweet! Too bad it was refinished.

I didn't give a lot for it, so it's all good. :)
The thing shoots like it is brand new as well.

Midnight Raver said:
Looks a hell of a lot better now than when you first got it- nicely done Sir! :cool:

Thank you sir! I have a 1916 dated RIA mfg. holster to keep her in too! ;)

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
That makes me think, did you do the stripping and reblueing yourself or did you have it done? If you had it done was it expensive? I've seen a few like that at shows and stuff in the past and passed on them because of it but that came out way better than I would have guessed it could.

Ritter Gottes

Well-Known Fanatic
jfeenin said:
That makes me think, did you do the stripping and reblueing yourself or did you have it done? If you had it done was it expensive? I've seen a few like that at shows and stuff in the past and passed on them because of it but that came out way better than I would have guessed it could.

I did all the work myself, I started the project on tues. after i got off work and worked on it every evening and got it finished this morning. The stripper was about $60 shipped from Brownells. I have a gallon jug of bluing that I got from a friend a long time ago so no cost there for me. The metal prep work was quite tedious on this job but it was worth the effort imo.

RG

genrl

Fanatic
Yeah, I definitely like it. Had it for almost a year now and probably put 1k through it so far.

Latest posts